Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 490050 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.2
« Reply #1935 on: January 30, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

Sorry, no update today. Essay/kind of sick. Thought I'd have more time. Tomorrow, then.

> Also yea, ask it what Skree meant with us being an mnemnem if it's the only one.
Does AG actually know that Scree thinks of him as "mnemnem"? Well, ask the Storyteller about it anyway.

I’m afraid not. Isn’t it interesting what readers are privy to that characters aren’t? :D

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: January 31, 2011, 02:19:13 am »

just a second here....

we're a robot. why is everybody able to psychically communicate with us?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:52 am »

Our brain was modelled upon a human brain, and are susceptible to the same electrical interference patterns. What is strange is that an alien lifeform can convey a message in a format that we can understand. They probably learned human thought patterns during the sentience tests and passed them onto their children...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 31, 2011, 04:45:55 am »

just a second here....

we're a robot. why is everybody able to psychically communicate with us?

Magic.
Seriously, how are they able to psychically communicate at all? :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: January 31, 2011, 04:47:50 am »

wait a second.....

there's been no evidence of psychic communication with the humans...

shocking development.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

Telepathy? Being a robot is exactly the reason it ISN'T strange. We're just bluetooth compatible. And apparently so are they, but it's not that strange if they've been eavesdropping on out tech for some time. The real mystery is why we communicated with the OTHER robots using sound... or did we?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.3
« Reply #1942 on: January 31, 2011, 03:13:40 pm »

Ask it what the idol is.

You ask what's up with the eyedol looking just like it.

it is an effigy of skygod, much like i myself am made in its image.

Ask of what services we can offer and apologize personally if we are intruding.
ask if it has any quests for us to do.

You apologize for butting in to its village and ask if it needs you to do anything.

you intrude not. i have been waiting a long time for one like yourself.

but i can ask nothing of you. i can instruct you not. i can guide you not. your choice is your own. this, i cannot foresee.

there are no quests. only a duty. a responsibility. a question. will you take it? it is this fork you will find yourself at. it is this choice you will make.

Also ask what the deal with this place is.
Ask it to tell its story.

You ask it to tell you its story.

i cannot guide you. but i will tell you of our people. when you have heard all i have to say, only then will your paths present themselves.

my people are as children to you. they are simple. happy. devout. they want nothing but to eat, play, and rest.

this is all they know. this is all they have ever known. but before… i remember.

we were taller. we were strong. we were complex, sad and wistful. a people that could take care of themselves. guide themselves. find their own joys and happiness in whatever form that would take.

it was skygod we loved, and skygod we feared. skygod was benevolent. skygod was wrathful. we relied on him for the harvest, and his blessings were bountiful.

we built temples. idols. places of worship. testaments. as skygod fed our people, we repaid in faith.

we knew nothing of war. of suffering. there was loss, but in balance there was life. there is a practice you call hunting. we did not hunt. we were farmers. and in our slumber we grew fat and slothful.

our kind weakened. our strength, once thought to be a pillar of permanency, left us. a decision was made. our world within a world was sealed away. we could no longer defend ourselves, grow, age, advance. all we could do was conceal ourselves so that none would smell our stagnation.

ages passed and we became shorter. our hands, less dextrous. our legs, less precise. we sleepwalked through generations, and we lost ourselves in our unconscious.

do you see, robot? do you see the farmers now? they do not think on their own. they cannot remember. they know only of the present, and only of the plains, and only of skygod. they cannot be awoken now. their slumber is too suffocating.

i am mnemnem. before me, there was another mnemnem. before it, another. when i pass, another still will rise to take my place. we have watched over our people through its eternity. we protect them. we are the keepers of memory. we are infinite in number. the people speak to me, and i speak to the people. through this, we achieve a consciousness that even in dreams all can share. it is our way.

i see your kind. the monster-that-sees-in-two. they come here looking. searching. watch as they enter our world from skygod’s domain. they do not find our chiefs. our captains. our leaders. they find centuries’ worth of children. no longer evolving; simply maintaining.

they disturb us. and we venture forth, released once again into the world. we are not awakened, merely restless in our hibernation. we are curious. what are these beasts?

our infantile curiousity betrays us. we are cut down in our sleep.

this is as far as the story goes. yet even now, new chapters wait to be written. the storyteller waits, quill poised, with bated breath. his muscles are tensed. what tale will be told? what story will be woven? mnemnem waits.

i cannot foresee your future, robot. but i foresee a choice. you approach the forks, robot. how will you choose when you arrive? it is this and only this that you must question.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:35:29 pm by Retro »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 31, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »

> Ask about free will, about what you are, about what the humans control over you means for that...
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »

Ask about the substance that the humans want.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »

I don't think he really knows much about the humans. Worth a shot, I guess.

Also ask about the light tunnel. Thing looks like it could be relevant.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

Ask what you could possibly do in this situation.

And say that the monsters-that-see-in-two are called humans and these two are here only to find a substance to most likely power their machines to let them travel great distances. Ask if it knows about this substance.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:20 pm »

> Send over all the data about common sense facts and human technology stored in you, and everything else to for good messure.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.4
« Reply #1948 on: February 01, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »

Ask about free will, about what you are, about what the humans control over you means for that

You try to explain to mnemnem that you are a robot, and that the humans are able to restrict or mandate your action or inaction.

you do not believe yourself to be free? what an interesting notion. yes, you are free. all beings are born and die with free will in this world. one cannot change that with electronic rules.

when one avenue is blocked, another is opened. you shall always have a choice; you may simply have to discover it for yourself.

Also ask about the light tunnel.

You ask what’s up with the cold passageway of light.

it is the doorway to the sacred plains. through skygod the plains’ harvest give us life and protects our world, and through our worship we give thanks for its blessings. it is a harmonious and delicate balance.

Ask about the substance that the humans want.
And say that the monsters-that-see-in-two are called humans and these two are here only to find a substance to most likely power their machines to let them travel great distances.

You try to explain who the humans are and what they want.

they wish to rob us of our crops. their rationale matters not. their gain necessitates our loss. we shall starve and burn in the hot sun.

Ask what you could possibly do in this situation.

You ask what you can do about all this.

i cannot tell you. you must decipher this for yourself.

You feel your vision—or rather, your weird mnemnem-induced group dream—being overcome by static.

go now. the forks approach.

The volcano. The sub. You are being called back.

You make your way back up to the volcano. Skree follows to the cave entrance.

The sub is here again. Gentleman is not here this time. You move towards the dock before you even think about it.

Your orders subside as you enter the lab – but the doctor is not here. Patch and the eighth robot are, though. Or were.

Oh god. Patch? Patch?! Damn it dude get up oh please oh shit oh shit

Something strikes the back of your head and you black out.

You wake up. You… aren’t dead, somewhat surprising considering the fate of the other bots. But your pack is missing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:47:14 am by Retro »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.4
« Reply #1949 on: February 01, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »

Grab patches leg and keep it with us.  Retrieve pen and paper. Use the leg to create another blade at the forge and fire place, name it 'Callus-Opener'.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 168