Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 490248 times)

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.23: Endgame.
« Reply #2340 on: February 23, 2011, 12:33:29 am »

Quite frankly, if Retro isn't prepared to make this story have an epic anticlimax due to a horrible mistake we make right now, I will be extremely disappointed.

Agreed.
disagree I know you're joking, but something this great deserves to go out with a bang.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2341 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

Nope

If we seriously suggest that AG should do a silly dance and backflip off the walkway, Retro should absolutely let it happen.

I'm not joking.

However, I may well be somewhat biased, as I have a bit of a background as a D&D dungeon master. I never like to let my players feel like they are totally safe and in a consequence-free environment.

Obviously, we aren't going to do anything stupid and end the game in a huge anticlimax. I'm just saying, if we did, Retro should let it happen, and we can all appreciate the unique brand of awesomeness that ending this epic story with derpy failure brings.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: February 23, 2011, 01:02:52 am »

What are we even trying to do? Do we want to save the Ocloids?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: February 23, 2011, 01:30:39 am »

Nope

If we seriously suggest that AG should do a silly dance and backflip off the walkway, Retro should absolutely let it happen.

I'm not joking.

However, I may well be somewhat biased, as I have a bit of a background as a D&D dungeon master. I never like to let my players feel like they are totally safe and in a consequence-free environment.

Obviously, we aren't going to do anything stupid and end the game in a huge anticlimax. I'm just saying, if we did, Retro should let it happen, and we can all appreciate the unique brand of awesomeness that ending this epic story with derpy failure brings.

I suppose you're right, but that still doesn't make me happy.

BTW, I like roll to dodge better than DND

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: February 23, 2011, 03:06:13 am »

Hmmm, i had forgotten about the dog... *Urk!*

On an actually serious note, why doesn't AG just ignore Feringus' commands? We know he can, because the totem-guy-thing said he would be able to.
No, he said there was always another option. We CANT disobey her direct orders, but it claimed her orders will never leave us without options.

I believe that it meant the following: Take for example, the example order she told us about "I could tell you to throw yourself into one of these balls without a second thought.", but she didnt specify a particular time. With that in mind, we will do it, BUT we can say that we will do it LATER and so in a roundabout way, disobey her.

Still, we should ask about Les' death and how it occured. He seemed to have a large effect on her and I am really curious to how he died and why. It surely could not have been natural causes, otherwise he would still be alive since natural causes would have taken affect years later from now.

And yes, we should save the oculoids. However you look at it, genocide is genocide. It is wrong, and she should know that.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: February 23, 2011, 12:26:06 pm »

Quite frankly, if Retro isn't prepared to make this story have an epic anticlimax due to a horrible mistake we make right now, I will be extremely disappointed.

Agreed.
disagree I know you're joking, but something this great deserves to go out with a bang.

If you want it to go out with a bang play the music box.  I can almost gaurantee extreme destruction.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.24: Endgame.
« Reply #2346 on: February 23, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inform doctor Feringus that you don't approve of her methods.

You tell her that you think her methods are both morally and ethically wrong, and that you don’t condone them.

“Yes, yes, I’ve heard it before. Death is wrong. To cause it is wrong. And yet so many around us die. So then the question becomes: who should decide who lives and who dies, and how ‘fair’ it is? Think of it mathematically, robot-- you can do that much, I’m sure. You find out where the pros most greatly outweight the cons, and you make the decision. There’s no emotional weight involved. It’s just numbers.”

ask about Les' death and how it occured.

Before she can continue, you quickly interject to ask how Les died.

She blanches, thrown off, and quiets.

“Les’ death was… unfortunate.”

She is silent a moment longer.

“We split the duties of locking down the facility before reconvening at the mobile submarine lab. The sub is temperature-resistant, you see, and the creatures would not be able to attack us if we retreated to there. Then we could formulate a plan to take back control of the facility and continue our research. He took the lower levels, sealing away the lab, the ship, and the generator. I took the upper ones, sealing the living space and gathering as much of our research as possible. I returned to the submarine first, and waited. But Les never returned.

“I knew after twenty four hours that he must be dead. There was no refuge in optimism. The large monsters were destroying the facility, and the smaller ones seemed to be on a rampage as well. I’ve never seen the clouds so black, or a storm so cruel. I feared leaving the sub. The beasts would tear me apart, surely. So I kept waiting.

“Months later… countless months… my hideaway was located by one of the auxbots - your friend there with the monocle. That was not yet even a week ago. He told me that he had discovered Les’ skeleton; mangled, as expected. This only served to confirm what I had already believed. But my actions are not ones of vengeance, or rage, or any other weak, over-emotional state. My actions are not meant to doom these beasts; that’s merely a welcome side-effect.

“I’m a scientist, robot. An intellectual. My work benefits the masses, and secures humanity’s future. If it causes some hiccups here and there? That’s just tough. It comes down to math, robot. Would I condemn one to save another? No. What about one to save two? One to save ten? Certainly something to think over. But one planet of… of docile vermin, to save a hundred million? I wouldn’t even blink.

“I don’t need to concern myself with the well-being of a planet full of animals. Would you have such an indignant moral problem with a planet inhabited only by buffalo? Or fish? Or apes?” She laughs. “Of course, because you’re fond of these creatures, that necessitates their salvation to doom countless others. I would have thought a robot of all things would be able to make the tough calls.”

Ask if she would like to hear what you have learned of the oculoids.

You ask if she’d at least be willing to hear what you’ve learned about the oculoids.

“Learned? What you’ve learned? You mock my research, imply that there’s something I don’t know, something I missed? Robot, I know the physiology of these creatures inside and outside, backwards and forwards, any other trite colloquialism you’d care for. I spent months—years researching these disgusting creatures. I didn’t miss a thing.

“I tracked your interactions with the creatures, robot. You weren’t researching them. You were making friends with them. And useful as that was to finding their secret hideaway, it’s hardly appropriate to equate ‘play time’ with ‘exhausting scientific study.’

Also ask her to tell more of these "vibrations" the magic energy stuff reacts to.

As you talk, an oculoid is blown onto the ramp. It is looking around rather blankly.

You say that if she expects you to think more scientifically, you need to know more about the scientific aspects of the chemical. You ask to hear more about the vibrations that are so crucial to inducing reactions in Chemical X.

She grins at your use of the word ‘scientifically.’ “You might just be able to redeem yourself yet, robot. Yes, a series of vibrations repeating at the proper tempo and tone can cause reactions much more intense than the minor ones the oculoid calls produce. The right series of notes at the right octaves… We discovered this musical link entirely by accident. Les brought a music box with his personal belongings as a memento from home. It took months to notice that the storms always seemed to coincide with the use of the music box.

“It sounds silly to say that a simple melody was so key to uncovering the chemical’s true secrets, but… it cannot be denied. The music would cool the planet, and the rapid cooling would trigger planet-wide storms of incredible magnitude. We brought out Les’ old piano and managed to deduct that an additional two notes, C and A, could produce a similar effect, but instead calming the storm. With both these triggers we will be able to grow the chemical at our discretion, then stabilize it when we are done our work. A magnificent system.”

The whirling winds around you are beginning to worsen. This sphere has nearly entirely become loose swathes and wisps circling its former mass, and the others seem to all be floating this way. You don’t think you have too much time.

“So then, robot, what is it? Will you pursue the betterment of humanity through science as well, or consign yourself to stay on this burnt husk of a planet, having both tried and failed to save your beasts?”

The stray oculoid is curiously investigating your bag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:28 pm »

Sounds like she is emotionally dull.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: February 23, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »

The little oculoid is onto something.

Let him peek into backpack. Maybe he will pick out something, uh... worthy of using at this moment?
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

humans are selfish creatures now, but it seems like this one has lost compassion entirely I understand that she feels a duty to help her species, but humans survived before electricity, they can survive without it.

and if they polluted every puddle and cut down every tree its their own fault.

side with the oculoids.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »

The little oculoid is onto something.

Let him peek into backpack. Maybe he will pick out something, uh... worthy of using at this moment?

I think we should let this happen, before we decide what to do next.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »

Force Feringus to commune with the oculoid.

And, if that doesn't work.

Commune with the oculoid and direct it to commune with Feringus.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2352 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »

Say "While it is true, Doctor, that you have completed an intense physiological study of these creatures and you understand how their bodies function, inside and out, you seem to have neglected their psychology. The Oculoids are more than the sum of their component parts. Surely you, as a woman of science, would be open to evidence contrary to your current understanding, yes?

Does this change your mind at all?"

(AKA monologue)

And then do this:

Force Feringus to commune with the oculoid.

And, if that doesn't work.

Commune with the oculoid and direct it to commune with Feringus.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: February 23, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »

Really not sure what to do here. :)

It'd be nice to continue chatting her up, trying to persuade her to see the obvious benefits of turning this planet into an oculoid preserve, but it seems that we're running out of time.
>Do you actually have to doom the oculoids? You said you can grow the chemical at your discretion. How much of it do you need?

How about trying to convince her that giving humanity infinite free energy forever might be a bad idea? That's what the oculoids had, and look what happened to them.
>Are you sure you are saving humanity? I've only spent a few days making friends with the oculoids, but I've already learned how the lack of predators, threats and strife led to their culture stagnating. They used to build statues and stone circles. Then they sealed themselves underground and didn't venture out until we came.

Also, we still have the letter from Les, right? Giving that to Feringus still sounds like a decent idea.

If all the possible third options fail, I say we should side with the oculoids, no matter how doomed. Back on Earth, AG is still just an auxbot. Perhaps an auxbot owned by a famous scientist who likes him, but still less than a person. Hardly a life for an adventurer.

Alternatively: Join Feringus but take some oculoid cocoons with you to Earth. Become the Speaker for the Dead.

Alternatively: Get back to the chemistry room, extract some chemical X out of the oculoid tentacles that are left, sing to it until you have enough to fill the planet. :P

Alternatively: Play the music box. This remains the gamble option. The music makes the energy balls grow, and cools the planet, but what effect does that have on people and space vessels currently in the energy ball room?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »

> Bring up "the strange statue" you found in the occluid village, presenting it as a storage device for a past civilization that somheow was able to establish wireless comunication with us (wich is technicaly true, it did contain information and we comunicated to it withote wires) so that she wont have to accept there's anything she doesn't know about the ocluids in order to become qurious abaut it and want to try accessing it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 168