Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 494299 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.25: Endgame.
« Reply #2370 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:14 am »

Also... Ask her why she is making us kill. You would not do that for something neutral now would you?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2371 on: February 25, 2011, 12:33:04 am »

oshit oshit oshit

loophole loophole loophole loophole loophole

Ok, she didn't say to do it right now. No, even better, she didn't tell us to do it QUICKLY.

She didn't tell us not to get any closer to her, either. And she definitely didn't tell us not to touch her with it.

Ok
Got it

Begin crushing the oculoid EXTREMELY SLOWLY. Applying pressure in miniscule, almost imperceptible amounts..Walk up to Feringus and press the Oculoid against her, communing with the oculoid as we do this.

Hug it. That will bring our hands together, if we hug it.
I don't think this will work as we were ordered specifically to kill it.

Also... Ask her why she is making us kill. You would not do that for something neutral now would you?
I also don't think we have time to talk now, unfortunately
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:38:38 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48:52 am »

killing the occuloid will probably bring harm to her, we should ignore the order.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 25, 2011, 12:52:16 am »

We know the Ocloids are humanoids, but not in the form or fashion the doctor would think a human would be in. WE know they are humans in that sense, we can not kill them
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 25, 2011, 01:00:04 am »

We know the Ocloids are humanoids, but not in the form or fashion the doctor would think a human would be in. WE know they are humans in that sense, we can not kill them
Thats true, we have proof. Even if they are only 0.0001% human, they are still human.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:08 am »

KILL THAT OCULOID YOU RUNT

YER MAKING ME SAD ROBOT

JUST SHAKING MY HEAD HERE

DO IT

KILL THE OCULOID

Begin crushing the oculoid EXTREMELY SLOWLY. Applying pressure in miniscule, almost imperceptible amounts..Walk up to Feringus and press the Oculoid against her, communing with the oculoid as we do this.

This. And this:

Crush the oculoid with an extremely loose grip while instructing it to commune with Feringus.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: February 25, 2011, 06:34:49 am »

Noooooo! D:

Fall back to your three-laws-compliance or something! Sure, they're technically alien children instead of human, but still people! Remember the history lesson memory Mnemnem showed you. Visualize the oculoid as a humanoid.

Also scream at Feringus.
"Fear pheromone!? You studied these things for two years and didn't notice the contact telepathy? I caught on to that in less than a day! The screeching has no pattern because they don't need language! They communicate by touch, you egoistic fuck!"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:33 am »

Also scream at Feringus.
"Fear pheromone!? You studied these things for two years and didn't notice the contact telepathy? I caught on to that in less than a day! The screeching has no pattern because they don't need language! They communicate by touch, you egoistic fuck!"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:07 am »

we could let go with one arm, still holding it with the other, then forcefuly rip out the one holding the oculoid.

What other loopholes might we be able to exploit?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2379 on: February 25, 2011, 09:36:24 am »

Ehhh I don't know. Maybe if Feringus had said "Kill that mindless creature" or something to that effect, we'd be able to simply ignore the order... But, even though we know Oculoids possess humanity, emotions and sentience, they're still called Oculoids, and that's what she told us to crush.

And you're free to try other loopholes, but I think mine is the least ambiguous loophole, because in mine, we're explicitly following her orders to kill it.

We're just doing so so slowly that it should buy us enough time to change her mind. And hopefully, have her change the order.

Also, lol @ Feringus not wanting to take a little bit of energy and build it up. That's just straight greed.

"I wanna save humanity NOW, not in a few years!"

mo' like "I wanna go out of my way to kill Oculoids NOW, not find a good balance between ethics and business!"
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:17 am »

"Where has your ethics gone human? What ever happened to doing the right thing over doing what was most profitable? You aren't doing this for others, you are doing this for yourself, and your flimsy take on the value of life doesn't change a thing. You want to be famous, I know that, but are you truely willing to give up your humanity, no, your SOUL just to be respected in your field? Hell, you wont be able to make more of this stuff by yourself, you know that, and the more people hear about this, the more they want a slice of your fame. Is having this happen to you really worth the cost? And if it does, then will it end here? What will the next excuse for 'the good of humanity' be? What other species is worth wiping out of existance? How much genocide must you commit to just be happy?

And you never actually tried other methods with communicating with these creatures? Never tried training them, or seeing how they even came into exsistance here in the first place? Don't you wonder how those standing stones actually came to be? If you do as I say, then you will find out. Surely, your curiosity demands the knowledge of how it happened? You are a scientist after all, as you seem so proud to state."

Hold out the oculoid.

"So go ahead and prove it. Place your hands on the oculoid and listen with your mind. Prove to me that you are a scientist, and still a true human being."

Maybe that will work... Perhaps we should play on her precious value of her profession more? And dont forget to exploit the loopholes! Very important!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: February 25, 2011, 04:16:13 pm »

Make a reference of how she is only killing the Ocloids because she blames them for what happened to Les, because she is unable to face the fact it was her fault
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:24 pm »

Make a reference of how she is only killing the Ocloids because she blames them for what happened to Les, because she is unable to face the fact it was her fault
And again, if it comes to it... "So much for no emotional weight".

Seriously, I want AG to use that on her.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 25, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »

And again, if it comes to it... "So much for no emotional weight".

Seriously, I want AG to use that on her.

Ya, i was wrong when i first made that statement. Its obvious now.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.26: Endgame.
« Reply #2384 on: February 26, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Begin crushing the oculoid EXTREMELY SLOWLY.

You begin to kill the oculoid.

For a little while nothing happens. Swirling light continues to shoot past you. Some of the energy has come ‘loose’ from its wisps and is floating like snow in the air.

“Well? That was a direct order, you know!”

You know. But you’re not in any rush. Could take all day. A few days. Maybe even a month or two. No hurry.

You place the oculoid on the ground. You’re quite sure you’ll get around to killing it… eventually.

“What? What are you doing?! Pick it up, robot! Pick it up now!!

You tell her that the oculoids don’t have a ‘fear pheremone.’ They have a touch-induced method of communication going directly into your senses, a synesthetic union that conveys raw emotions. You learned this the first time you befriended one. She didn’t after two years. So then the question is, you say, who’s the real scientist here?

The oculoid begins to crawl towards Feringus.

“Get that thing away from me! Get it away! Are you listening to me, robot?!? I’m giving you an order!!”

Get ‘it’ away? ‘It’ isn’t very specific. She could be referring to anything. Maybe a rock somewhere. Maybe the sun. Certainly nothing you could do about that.

You tell her that the oculoids have a village, a history, their own culture and religion. A true scientific endeavour would have examined this civilization, learned from it. A real scientist would have known that figuring out the oculoids’ thought patterns and interacting with them would have been key to understanding the planet, especially knowing that the oculoids are the only sentient life form on the planet.

A real scientist wouldn’t have abandoned their principles in pursuit of an answer. A real scientist wouldn’t have seen torture as an acceptable way to further their own species’ advancement. A real scientist wouldn’t have forgotten what compassion was.

Feringus falls backwards, seemingly-paralyzed. The oculoid blankly keeps moving towards her.

“No! NO!!!! Get it away from me robot, do you hear me?! I’m a human! I’m your master! YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME, YOU HAVE TO!!!!

You hold out Les’ letter, and tell Feringus that even Les was uncomfortable with the actions being taken to ‘acquire’ the chemical, and was only continuing because he thought the actions would benefit humanity enough to be worth it. But he couldn’t mask his guilt as well as her. Or his conscience.

The oculoid communes with Feringus.

“ROBOT, GET IT AWAY FROM ME RIGHT NO—”

She abruptly cuts off and goes silent.

You say that she alienated her partner in her blind pursuit for success. She threw away her ethics. Her moral responsibility. You say that your ‘database of ancient caricatures and stereotypes’ might call those things a ‘soul.’ But a more modern term would be her ‘humanity.’

So she stayed, and convinced Les to stay. And her actions turned against her. But she never accepted responsibility for the consequences. Instead she just denied her role in Les’ death, hid behind her doctorate, and repressed all feeling until she was consumed by her desire to succeed regardless of what it took. Or who.

So much for ‘no emotional weight.’

The oculoid curls up in Feringus’ lap and goes to sleep.

Sphere-wisps floats in from all directions. The air is cold, but not nearly as cold as it first was. Snowy sparkles of energy dance in the air, being tossed back and forth gently by the rape of the world. Despite the whirling icy winds around you, in the eye of the storm the moment seems quiet and beautiful.

Claire begins to weep.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 168