Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 490079 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.26: Endgame.
« Reply #2385 on: February 26, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

So much for ‘no emotional weight.’
YES.

Now that my ego is satiated, I'll go back to watching.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: February 26, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »

gently tell her that she can fix everything
What do you think? Yes? No?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: February 26, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:00 pm »

Well, humanity is still doomed...

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »

Who cares about humanity?

And a small bit can still be taken.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: February 26, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »

"A solution period is better than a solution now at the expense of an entire species of sentients. Take only enough of the energy as you would need to make a solution, leave the rest."

Or some variation. Also, signify "it" as some random meaningless item in our backpack, and take that away. "that" of course referring to "some random meaningless item", I suggest the dead bird, which now raises some very peculiar questions...

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »

After comforting her and telling her she can make right what has be done wrong, say
If humanity has been waiting all these years for a new energy source, it can way a few more years. Only take what you need, leave this planet and the Oculoids alone. Let them live on.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »

Who cares about humanity?

And a small bit can still be taken.
We would be hypercritical if we didnt care about humans.

P.S.: Retro, amazing story dude. Love how you put everything together. It makes sense. That is what makes this story series so good.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:20:50 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: February 27, 2011, 07:49:20 am »

P.S.: Retro, amazing story dude. Love how you put everything together. It makes sense. That is what makes this story series so good.
Indeed.

I'm looking forward to whatever Retro can cook up next.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: February 27, 2011, 08:23:35 pm »

Thanks guys, good to know things are coming off well.

Nothing tonight update-wise, sorry. Lots to do and no time to write anything until later.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »

take your time. you've been very prolific with this up until now. we know that you won't forget us
What do you think? Yes? No?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »

Good show!

I say, we are quite disloyal to humanity.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 27, 2011, 10:32:50 pm »

Good show!

I say, we are quite disloyal to humanity.

How? We have not done anything to be disloyal. If anything we have morals and ethics we live by. We did not want to kill the doctor at any point, nor did we want to destroy humanity.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.27: Endgame.
« Reply #2398 on: March 01, 2011, 02:40:23 am »

You’ve gotten through to her. No more need to talk her down any more.

You kneel down and tell her that she can fix everything. But she’s got to hurry. The energy’s nearly all gone.

“Fix everything…?” she says. “How? I can’t fix all those… all the deaths, all… we spent hours… all the… the deaths…” She is barely able to speak. “I can’t undo that, robot. I can’t… I can’t fix this.”

Take only enough of the energy as you would need to make a solution, leave the rest.

You tell her that she can compromise. Take the bare minimum of energy that she needs for the new energy source. Leave the rest for the oculoids. Everyone wins.

“No, robot. Everyone doesn’t win. I… I killed so many. And now I’m going to destroy their home. And I can’t do anything about it.”

You tell her to just put the energy she doesn’t need back in the core, then you can discuss morals afterwards.

Claire wipes some tears from her eyes, her voice regaining its confidence again. “It’s not simply about putting things here back to the way they were. The core… robot, the entire planet is cooled by this chamber. You know that. But the reactions the oculoids cause… are tiny. Their cries don’t revert the temperature back to any automatic ‘cold’ range, they simply make things a bit cooler than they otherwise would be. They merely keep it cool and stop it from warming further.”

You pause and consider the implications of this.

Claire stands up, pulling some sort of monitoring device out of her pocket as she does so. The oculoid formerly on her lap hops off the ramp and begins to propellor away. “The temperature of the planet is currently about thirty-five, maybe forty degrees hotter than is comfortable for the oculoids, and that figure is only going to keep going up. Releasing the energy could perhaps keep us at that level, though it wouldn’t stop the planet from essentially burning up. But I can’t revert it. There’s… there’s no hope, robot.”

She keels over, beginning to cry again. “I… I can’t even save them, after all I did to hurt them! I came here to help people, robot! I thought… I thought I could help everyone…”

The doctor pauses. The heat’s getting much more noticeable, even uncomfortable. The energy has been fully absorbed into the ship. “Perhaps then it would be best… No. Not ‘best.’ Perhaps it would be right to stay. I have done too much to simply disappear across the known universe and leave them to die alone. I will send Rusty back with the bare minimum energy necessary to power the ship and vent the rest back into the core. I must accept responsibility for my actions.”

She begins to head into the ship, her voice trembling very minutely. “I will be sending the ship off in approximately one minute. You will… no, I apologize. If you would like to return with Rusty, you may. Or you may choose to stay. You are free to do either. I will, however, suggest that you leave. You have done your part here.”

You are left alone on the ramp. The ship begins to flicker with black cracks of lightning. The chamber is empty; the spheres have disappeared into the ship and the oculoids seem to have fled to the village. It is just you and the now-sweltering, unrelenting heat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:57:19 am by Retro »

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.27: Endgame.
« Reply #2399 on: March 01, 2011, 02:54:25 am »

We know how to cool this area down. We must play the "Calming Storm Song" that we played to make the storm go away on the Piano. I am sure we have the song memorized when we played it on the piano, we just have to amplify it enough to have some effect.

The only way to do this though is to get her help.
Explain to the Doctor how to cool off the Core and you know the notes needed to do so. Explain how you made the rain ago away with these notes, but you need the doctors assistance. Tell her she has a chance to make everything right, and this is her chance to help relieve the guilt she has on her shoulders. If she really is sorry for what she has done, she will help us.

What we have to do:
We have to release all but a tiny amount of energy the ship has taken back into the core, at the same time play the Sunshine song. I am sure the ship has speakers of some sort.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:00:26 am by mnjiman »
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 168