Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So I caught a Skeletal Giant Eagle...  (Read 2861 times)

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
So I caught a Skeletal Giant Eagle...
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »

and have no idea what to do with it.

As backstory, I embarked on a lovely split between a savage forest and terrifying mountains with a wonderfully Fun aquifer. During the first year I set up a measly defense of cage traps at my entrance. Suddenly, I got a ton of job cancellation spams from a Skeletal Giant Eagle. Knowing this would happen sooner or later, I check the entrance, expecting dwarven body parts being strewn with extreme prejudice.

Instead, it somehow got itself stuck in my row of cage traps.

It's been sitting in a stockpile for about 2 years now, and I still haven't figure out what to do. I can't sell it, and I can't toss it in a pit as a fun way to exterminate goblins since it'll just fly back up. I'm wondering if I could just chain it at the bottom, but I don't even know if that's possible, and even then, the goblin would have to saunter of to its 3x3 box anyways.

So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a fitting, Dwarvenly plan. The more death and destruction the better of course.

Edit: Really I thought these things would be a lot worse. They don't seem to be as lethal as the wiki made them out to be, in a fort in 31.08 the horse I embarked with managed to kill one while sustaining no wounds.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:01:43 pm by ZaDoktor »

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
Re: So I caught a Skeletal Giant Eagle...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »

you could dig a pit 5 z-levels deep, build the cage at the bottom of the pit, link the cage to a lever on the opposite side of the fortress, and seal off the pit with floor bars.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »

I wonder... Can chained creatures still fly or move in z-levels too? Because a flyer that attacks from one z-level above ground should be pretty well safe from melee weapons.

What I'm suggesting is basically putting it chained in a "nest" a few levels above your entrance, from where it swoops down on anyp attackers while being relatively safe itself.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »

you could dig a pit 5 z-levels deep, build the cage at the bottom of the pit, link the cage to a lever on the opposite side of the fortress, and seal off the pit with floor bars.

Ah, I forgot about floor bars. I wonder how I could dispose of goblins with that. Maybe an airlock room where I could build a cage with all the goblins, then lock the doors to my fort while opening the ones for my Eagle, a simple lever pull and bye-bye goblins.

I wonder... Can chained creatures still fly or move in z-levels too? Because a flyer that attacks from one z-level above ground should be pretty well safe from melee weapons.

What I'm suggesting is basically putting it chained in a "nest" a few levels above your entrance, from where it swoops down on any attackers while being relatively safe itself.

The wiki says 3x3x3 area of movement, so I imagine it could move up and down if a flier. I do like the idea of being able to seal up my fort and let loose a undead monster on them, though I'd have to figure out how to seal it away from my dwarves, make it so they don't run off scared, but also be able to open up the nest and let it be able to move close enough to the attackers.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »

Set it free in an inside area walled off with fortifications and use it as target practice for your marksdorfs.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »

Set it free in an inside area walled off with fortifications and use it as target practice for your marksdorfs.

That would probably give some good XP, but I really don't have too much of a military right now, and I could just use some gobbos or hippies elves for that.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:28:05 pm »

That would probably give some good XP, but I really don't have too much of a military right now, and I could just use some gobbos or hippies elves for that.

You -could- but this bad boy is skeletal. That means the bolts won't be very effective so you can milk him for practice longer.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:16 pm »

You -could- but this bad boy is skeletal. That means the bolts won't be very effective so you can milk him for practice longer.

Correct. These things don't have vital organs and can't be mortally wounded. I don't think they can even be killed by marksdorfs at all, but I may be wrong. As such, they make great XP sponges.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »

Correct. These things don't have vital organs and can't be mortally wounded. I don't think they can even be killed by marksdorfs at all, but I may be wrong. As such, they make great XP sponges.

Yeah, I'm probably underestimating it quite a bit. It's just I had a legendary marksdwarf/hunter using some really high quality bone bolts and he took these things down whenever he harassed my dwarves. Some novices would probably take quite a while to take it down with some low quality wood bolts.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »

Oh, if only the dungeon master was here!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:40 pm »

Chain it at the bottom of a three-z pit that's 3x3, then drop gobbos into the pit for it to gnaw on.  Don't forget to use a door or something to keep your dudes from freaking out.
I brake for stumble bumblings

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:21 pm »

Oh, if only the dungeon master was here!
I thought undead things were completely untamable and were always hostile to everything?\

On a similar note, through some indiscriminate editing of the raws (thanks, 'no-exotic' program), I have come into possession of a breeding pair of giant cave swallows. Are they worth training into war animals? Better question, can I make them war animals, or do I need to edit that in, too?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »

As far as I know you'll have to edit that in.

Beware the wild giant cave swallows, they will attack your dwarves and everyone will ignore them except the one being attacked.  :-X It happened to me in 40d, half the fort gone in less than 10 minutes, all because of a bunch of large birds.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »

Hahah!

Another one landed on my new drawbridge, dispatched the 2 war dogs I had, and fell in a cage trap!

It's a bit more wounded, my dogs held on for dear life with their "right eye tooth", but now I have a matching set!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »

Can skeletal animals breed?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: [1] 2 3