Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to - The Idiocy Strikes Back  (Read 10944 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 03:40:08 am »

Okay, so if the Senate is the UN and the Trade Federation is OPEC... that must mean that Geonosis is Iraq, Dooku is Bin Laden, and Mace Windu is Barack Obama.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 03:54:24 am »

Well, it doesn't quite fit as an analogy. The Senate would be the UN if the UN invaded any nation that didn't want to join the UN, while creating political bureaucracy for nations that are a part of it. I'd call them the Terrified Nations

Geonosis would be a nation that didn't want to be part of the Terrified Nations, and Dooku would be more akin to an arms dealer facilitating their independence for his own profit in the resulting war. Mace Windu would be a Terrified Nations spy, or somthing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 06:25:19 am »

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since....SHIT, you pressed the silent alarm, didn't you?!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 06:41:25 am »

When the police tried to identify him from the surveillance tapes, legend has it that the chief said

"I find this lack of face disturbing."

True story.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:22 am »

Okay, so if the Senate is the UN and the Trade Federation is OPEC... that must mean that Geonosis is Iraq, Dooku is Bin Laden, and Mace Windu is Barack Obama.

No, technically Mace Windu is Bush. Gung-ho and very aggressive.

Obama is, I dunno, Kit Fisto! Because they both have goddamn great smiles.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 12:56:46 pm »

I'm slowly watching through the series, and I still don't see the Empire as evil as it's meant to be. Robots are more humane as soldiers (ironically) as they don't forfeit life on that side of the battlefield. Both sides have ample power for themselves, so uniting the world in a Monarchy would be for the interest of the people, and not for power. If Democracy were successful, it wouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place. Perhaps there needs to be a cycle of power like this every once in a while to prevent stagnation.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

The Empire is also strongly inspired by the Third Reich, and they do things like opress minority groups (the aliens), take slaves, and take from the poor.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »

Says you, Jedi. Don't you have some gifted children to be kidnapping and conscripting?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 05:21:50 pm »

The Empire is also strongly inspired by the Third Reich, and they do things like opress minority groups (the aliens), take slaves, and take from the poor.

You mean in the movies? I've only ever watched the movies and I never saw anything like that and the Expanded Universe is waaaay to damn complicated and not really made by George.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

Maybe one problem is it's not really scaled up well to galactic proportions, what was history changing atrocities on a single planet becomes inefficiencies in the margin in the margin for galactic scales.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »

Maybe one problem is it's not really scaled up well to galactic proportions, what was history changing atrocities on a single planet becomes inefficiencies in the margin in the margin for galactic scales.
See, whilst it feels really odds to say this, I agree. I've never seen galaxy wide oppression in Star Wars (cept Alderan), just a few really bad eggs and them treating their planets badly.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 05:50:54 pm »

Kind of like Earth, but bigger...
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 03:08:57 pm »

Wookies are slaves, if that helps.

Also, something not being done by George Lucas isn't always a bad thing. Gene Roddenberry was pushed out of Wrath of Khan and hated the movie, and yet, it is generally agreed upon that Star Trek: The Motion Picture did not exist, and Wrath of Khan was the first Star Trek film.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 08:19:37 am »

I always thought it was pretty obvious that the moral of the story was that the dark and the light side need to be in balance.

You know, Yin and Yang or that one Tarot card with the wheel of fortune. (That one.) There are two forces pulling on that wheel, that snake and that reddish thing. One force represents life and the other one death, or something like that. Creation and destruction. The sphinx supposedly represents the mystery of life or something, and should the main forces ever get out of balance, the sphinx would fall.

At any rate, we needed Lucas to make those new 3 crappyish Star Wars movie to hear ONE jedi say, just once, that maybe the light has gotten too strong and since they are the wise guys, maybe they should let it happen.

Up to that point, when watching the movies, you only had the impression each side was just fighting for leadership or just plain survival.

In the older movies its a bit easier to ignore because the rebellion clearly is the underdog.

Anyways, long story short,
The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 02:53:53 pm »

Wookies are slaves, if that helps.

Also, something not being done by George Lucas isn't always a bad thing. Gene Roddenberry was pushed out of Wrath of Khan and hated the movie, and yet, it is generally agreed upon that Star Trek: The Motion Picture did not exist, and Wrath of Khan was the first Star Trek film.

Sure, but at least that movie was professionally-made. Or something.

Most Star Wars books would be what you call "ascended fan-fiction", and a bunch of them start with a ridiculous premise (like, some evil threat to the galaxy is because the severed robot hand of Darth Vader escaped the destruction of the 2nd Death Star). At the very least, while you can't say "that's not in the movies, therefore it didn't happen!", you can't say "George wasn't on crack painting the Empire as evil because some third party book explains that the Emperor really was *that* evil and eventually planned to suck the brain of everyone in the galaxy with a straw."

(and yes, that last one actually happens in a book too, and conveniently justifies all the anti-Empire actions everywhere, no matter how unethical)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:55:53 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6