Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to - The Idiocy Strikes Back  (Read 10956 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

I always thought it was pretty obvious that the moral of the story was that the dark and the light side need to be in balance.

You know, Yin and Yang or that one Tarot card with the wheel of fortune. (That one.) There are two forces pulling on that wheel, that snake and that reddish thing. One force represents life and the other one death, or something like that. Creation and destruction. The sphinx supposedly represents the mystery of life or something, and should the main forces ever get out of balance, the sphinx would fall. Side doesn't pay like it used to.

The funny part is that, the whole "Whinakin bringing balance to the Force" is usually interpreted that way by fans/critics (idiot Jedis didn't figure out that "balance" here meant "killing a metric assload of Light Side Jedis, since there weren't as many evil Sith"), yet Word of God goes like "NOOO! That's not what I meant! Balance means that the Good Guys Win, and they just were wrong and stuff!" even 'though he references many times the corruption and complacency of Jedi.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:38 pm »

Meaning that the Jedi were no longer the "good guys", perhaps?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

That might work, if not for Luke spending most of his time in Episodes IV-VI trying to become a Jedi. And that said trying was supported by Obi-Wan and Yoda, two of the most jedi-y Jedi ever. Then again, we could look at it as their being no good guys, with the Lawful Evil Galactic Empire fighting the Chaotic Evil Rebel Alliance in a big 40k-ish thing... I have serious problems for even considering a WMG of that absurdity, but there you go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 05:24:19 pm »

Obi-Wan is pretty much repentant by this point, and Yoda looks to have revised his worldview quite a bit by the time episodes 456 roll around.

Of course, now Obi-Wan is a lying dickwad, and Yoda is old.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

Obi-Wan is a lying dickwad
He's actually quite honest, from a certain point of view. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:09 pm »

Obi-Wan is a lying dickwad
He's actually quite honest, from a certain point of view. :P
Yes, just like there is nothing wrong with kidnapping gifted children and conscripting lobotomized clones, from a certain point of view. However, this point of view is unrepentent fanatical evil.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »

He was referencing Robot Chicken.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 08:46:16 pm »

I know, but my insane point doesn't stand anyway.
No Gods, No Masters.

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 11:38:26 am »

you'd have to imagine that The Emperor, after seeing this on the news, pimpslapped Vader for it.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »

The Empire is also strongly inspired by the Third Reich, and they do things like opress minority groups (the aliens), take slaves, and take from the poor.

You mean in the movies? I've only ever watched the movies and I never saw anything like that and the Expanded Universe is waaaay to damn complicated and not really made by George.
There are lots of slaves in the movies. The oppression is similar, the power is similar, etc.

If you watch Vader walk it looks just like Hitler. Hell, stormtroopers was the name of a Nazi organization, the SA.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:53 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

The Empire is also strongly inspired by the Third Reich, and they do things like opress minority groups (the aliens), take slaves, and take from the poor.

You mean in the movies? I've only ever watched the movies and I never saw anything like that and the Expanded Universe is waaaay to damn complicated and not really made by George.
There are lots of slaves in the movies. The oppression is similar, the power is similar, etc.

If you watch Vader walk it looks just like Hitler. Hell, stormtroopers was the name of a Nazi organization, the SA.

The only slaves in the movies are in the prequels. And on a planet outside the Republic.

There are no slaves in the original movies; Chewbacca's origin story comes solely from the Expanded Universe, and the "minority/female oppression" was a Shrug of God from Lucas after fans noticed that there were no aliens or women in imperial forces. Note that there are almost no aliens or women in rebel forces, actually, besides Nien Nunb (who is a smuggler), Chewbacca (who is also a smuggler) and Admiral Ackbar (who is a goddamn squid or fish or whatever twisted into humanoid form).

At any rate, ask Lucas today and he'll say that the lack of women or aliens was intentional; most likely he pulled it out of his ass the same way he did the "Luke and Leia are siblings" plot tweest.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:32 pm »

Not really Godwin's law when the Nazi reference was made before the thread started.

But, like, look at these guys. And their guns.

Seems pretty clear to me.

EDIT:

Their soldiers are called 'Stormtroopers', too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:07:24 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »

Welcome to 1977 Grakelin, glade you could make it.  Just wait for 2002, the social commentary will blow your mind.

I just thought to mention.  While out doing errands today, I ran across a police officer who had the Imperial March as a ringtone.  Read into that what you will.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:16:44 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »

The Mauser is actually Han Solo's pistol.

I guess that means Han is a Nazi spy.

Expanded Universe states that the gun was popular with Rebels and smugglers because it penetrated armor easily, and production/sale was actually banned by the Empire.

The stormtrooper rifle is based on a Sterling Arms Mk4/L2A3 sub-machine gun – which were used by the British following World War II. I suppose that means the Empire are the British? They also have British accents. Damn those Galactic Imperial British Nazi Jews!

Not to mention that Jedi are based on real-life Photographers! Because photographers have force powers and they kill you with old camera flash handles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6