Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to - The Idiocy Strikes Back  (Read 10950 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Side doesn't pay like it used to.
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »

The stormtrooper rifle is based on a Sterling Arms Mk4/L2A3 sub-machine gun – which were used by the British following World War II. I suppose that means the Empire are the British? They also have British accents. Damn those Galactic Imperial British Nazi Jews!

Fun fact - almost all of the extras in Episode 4 were British.  Most of the Rebel pilots did their lines in their natural English accents, but they went back and redubbed those hick American accents to differentiate them from the Empire, and make them seem more earthy and footloose.

Also, the Rebel Alliance Army seen in Episode 5 was mostly composed of Norwegian military men, with their normal winter gear gussied up with sci-fi props.  What an awesome day to be in the army.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »

So the New Zealanders get to borrow their vehicles and ride around in them for a few months and the Norwegians get to be in Star Wars movies. Two best armies on the planet, I'm tellin' ya.

As for the references to the Third Reich, I did see that, yes. What I was saying was that I didn't see the Empire oppress minorities, steal money or take slaves in the movies.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2010, 06:42:33 pm »

What I was saying was that I didn't see the Empire oppress minorities, steal money or take slaves in the movies.

You will notice that the Empire is composed entirely of Caucasian human men.  In a galaxy full of all kinds of other stuff.  Sure, the Alliance was mostly male human honkies too, but at least they had some high ranking tokens.  Specifically, Lando, Ackbar, and Mon Mothma for the Triple Crown of interstellar equal opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:48:20 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »

I guess they might oppress the minorities in that they don't teach them to shoot incredibly poorly and die in silly ways.

But I see what you're saying. So that's one. Any others?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 06:45:49 pm »

They also blew up Alderan, which was likely a human majority planet. If the Empire were really that human-centric, they would have destroyed some alien majority planet for their demonstration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 06:47:28 pm »

Yeah. Alderaan is as Crystal Spires European as it gets.

I still maintain the "minority oppression" is something Lucas ass-pulled after he noticed it would make sense. Or that their budget wasn't high enough for alien costumes that could withstand the action scenes.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »

Yeah. Alderaan is as Crystal Spires European as it gets.

I still maintain the "minority oppression" is something Lucas ass-pulled after he noticed it would make sense. Or that their budget wasn't high enough for alien costumes that could withstand the action scenes.

Not in the first movie anyway, they were pretty simple.  As for Alderaan, I'd say it says more to the Empire's callousness that they would throw away a human planet, and to the abundance of human dominated worlds that they weren't going to miss one.  Besides, we don't actually get to see anything about Alderaan, except for Leia's sparkling personality, until the end of the last movie, where it looks suspiciously like Naboo in different lighting.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »

As the article many pages back points out, the Empire as a faction is extreme Lawful Neutral. They want absoulte order, at any cost, even if that means killing a planet to ensure no one messes with them. The Alliance, on the other hand, is an assured Chaotic Neutral. This is because it is the position farthest away from the Empire, and most toxic to the Empire's continued survival.

Does the Empire go too far? Obviously, but this is greatly facilitated by Darth Sidious himself, who's actions paint him as Neutral Evil after becoming Emperor, and Lawful Evil before. This is not helped at all by Darth Vader, who is so very broken that the alligment system might not apply to him. Vader only commits two actions for his own ambition throughout the two films, that being trying to make Luke follow him and killing Sidious to save Luke's life. The former implies the continued existance of Anakin Skywalker within Vader, and the second confirms it, so they might not even count as Vader's actions at all. Everything else Vader does is on behalf of the Emperor, with the only exception being Anakin's wish to save his son, and even that gets twisted into a wish for a worthy apprentice to carry on the Rule of Two untill Luke's death is assured without his action.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:13:21 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:28 pm »

Welcome to 1977 Grakelin, glade you could make it.  Just wait for 2002, the social commentary will blow your mind.

You're usually a lot smarter than that, Aqizzar.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »

Where have you been for the last three years? Funny, passive-aggressive, intelligent jabs are what the man is about. He means no harm.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2010, 11:31:26 pm »

I think we're kind of all forgetting how stupid the Star Wars movies are.  I mean, Bobba Fett gets killed by a blinded Han Solo's wild flailing of a vibro axe and Leia strangled a gigantic obese slug with the chain she has attaching her to him.  Also, Ewoks.  And that's just the original theatrical versions.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »

Now now, that's all from RoTJ.

Need to find something from A New Hope and Empire too.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 11:40:03 pm »

Return of the Jedi had a lot of overuse of camp and stupid humour... that the Prequel Trilogy seems to be based on a LOT. It wasn't enough that little teddy bears beat the Empire's elite, they had to look silly and cute doing it so the children in the audience would cheer. Remember the Caravan of Courage? Based on Return of the Jedi. I wonder why.

I also think George loves the Caravan. He probably would have liked to make many more sequels to that.

In Empire Strikes Back (considered by many the best of the series, probably George Lucas's least favorite, because he's an unoriginal hack in love with slapstick comedy and really bad romance dialogue writing) there is a lot of grittiness, badassery, roguishness and scoundricity that a lot of us have grown to love. But it was Too Good To Last.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 02:14:18 am »

I just realized that one of my friends is a manic pixie dream girl.  :o

Thank you TVTropes?

Er, more on topic, what's Caravan?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 02:50:02 am »

Darth Vader probably had to rob that bank after he was laid off from the water treatment plant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6