Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released  (Read 60825 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2010, 04:13:08 am »

Toady I've uploaded the save (crashes withing 5 minutes)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2796

Hope this helps.

Might be a good idea to load that to the bug tracker. It'll be easier for Toady to detect.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2010, 04:40:47 am »

Warmduscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2010, 06:40:48 am »

Soo, I got my first tantrum spiral in the new version and dear gods, punches got very dangerous. Dwarves are breaking bones and even punching skulls in left and right.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2010, 06:53:56 am »

Ok I have seen something weird. Dwarves witch have "on break" sometimes go to the place where the wagon used to stand ( when i arrived ) and wait around there. The wagon has since been disassembled and i checked zones, and there is no zone there. They have designated meeting area at completely different place. They go to quite an effort to go there, because since then I have build walls and the original wagon site is outside of my fortifications. I had to make a huge all encompassing Burrow and assign all dwarves into it. That stopped them running out of fortifications when they were on break. This doesn't occur always, but it was persistent enough to draw my attention. I was thinking maybe this has something to do with the dwarfs traits. I have noticed lazy/poor focus/willpower dwarfs sometimes stand around for a bit before picking up next task ( like when I am hauling a lot of stone). Maybe they just like to be alone(witch would be fine if they were doing it within the safety of the fort). Not sure if its a bug or a feature, it can fly both ways really. Anyway definitely refreshing that not all dwarves behave like robots fueled by booze.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2010, 07:39:54 am »

Quote from: Lord Snow
[Skill_Rates: : : : ] functionality was changed huh?

Still getting (rusty) after a half a season when setting the assumed rust counters to :none:none:none
Quote from: Orkel
Yea, my fort is in its first winter and everyone already has rusty skills.
Quote from: Aristoi
Toady, is it possible to get a flag to disable skill rust entirely without editing the (possibly broken) skill_rates?  Speaking only for myself I hate it and will never use it.  I'm sure others agree/disagree.  Thanks!

I don't think I changed the skill rate loading this time.  If it's broken, it has probably been broken for a while.  The "rusty" display is new.

If somebody has a novice or competent skill, and they get 1 level of rust, that is at least 50% rust so they get "rusty" displayed.  I don't quite remember, but that'll happen after half a year or something.  It would still only take just one learning event (like a finished job) to get rid of all the rust at that level.  So this isn't really a serious effect, but it looks bad I guess.  It would take much more time to get a "rusty" on a higher skill, and even in that case it's not a permanent loss and would only take a few jobs to work off.  Permanent loss takes years even for one level.

That said, I wouldn't mind putting in an init option.

Thanks for clearing this up, i was thinking that rust was much faster, as suggested by earlier versions complaint-topic about legendary child crafters producing low quality goods after growing up.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2010, 08:23:09 am »

Ok I have seen something weird. Dwarves witch have "on break" sometimes go to the place where the wagon used to stand ( when i arrived ) and wait around there. The wagon has since been disassembled and i checked zones, and there is no zone there. They have designated meeting area at completely different place. They go to quite an effort to go there, because since then I have build walls and the original wagon site is outside of my fortifications.

Maybe you forgot to activate the meeting area? That is default behavior when there isn't a meeting zone set up or active.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2010, 08:42:33 am »

No i checked, i know they default to the wagon if they don't have meeting area, but i have set up everything. Also, all the dogs and animals are milling in the proper meeting area. Its not even all the dwarves, just my mason likes to do that.

And no he doesn't have fishing turned on and his workshop is underground. They all have booze and i have a proper water source zone designed.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Haldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:24 am »

Concerning the recent crashing spree, I have had a bit of a stroke of luck(?) in that I made a save just before a crash. Like 15 seconds before. Hope this helps :)

Crashes in about 10s-20s

I have a temporary barracks set up just below the furniature stockpile at the right of the screen, and was training troops there. Since this version seems to crash for me every 15 mins or so, I have been saving often, and I just happened to do so just before this crash.

It would seem that what is happeneing is that the militia commander has organized a training session, and is now leading it, but the other Dwarfs have run off to do other things; namely eat and pickup equipment, but the commander is still listed as "Lead armor demonstration." Maybe that's the problem, IDK.

I am also posting this in the bug tracker.

Edit:  Bug tracker page
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:02:03 am by Haldor »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:28 am »

Quote from: Dr. A
"Farm plots built underground (Inside/Dark/Subterranean) on natural soil will not allow planting"

I'm not sure yet.  I never get a chance to look at it, despite wanting to look at it.  The original idea was to require a soil wall beneath a mudless square for it to be farmable, and if it isn't that way, it's a bug.  Either way, it is somewhat confusing, because you wouldn't be able to farm in one layer of soil.  I'm not sure you should be able to, morally speaking, especially with the underground trees, but it's probably less confusing that way.

Question to anyone:

how on earth do you generate two-z-layer soil areas, then? Or does this basically mean "underground farming must be done in the cavern layers" ?

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2010, 09:35:04 am »

Sounds like you'd need an embark with two layers of top soil before the rock starts.  Dig out and plant in the the top one, leave the layer underneath...  I've not tried it though.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2010, 09:51:16 am »

Yeah, the problem is that embarks like that are pretty rare, or at least I don't know how to generate them. If that's how things are "supposed" to work it might be good to add an option to world gen that let you specify  minimum number of surface soil layers.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:37 am »

Spots with multiple soil layers aren't rare; they're just far from mountains.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:52 am »

if you are lucky you get up to 5 (?) layers of soil in forrest or a similiar location.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

wurli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2010, 10:20:37 am »

yeah multiple soil layers are common

But farming isn't possible without irrigation even with a soil layer below. So this is a bug

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2010, 10:23:37 am »

I'm getting a crash when I try to switch between full screen and windowed mode--which I do regularly, because if the game saves or does any long calculation while in full screen mode, it makes my entire system refuse to let me do anything else.  If it's windowed I can alt+tab to other programs fine.

But anyway, when I press F11 to switch from fullscreen to windowed the game dies.  It appears to work fine, however, if I start the game in windowed mode instead of starting it in fullscreen, which means at least the game is playable.
*facepalm*

My apologies. It's incrdibly obvious that that would happen, but somehow I didn't realize.

I'll have it fixed soon. Meanwhile, yeah, start in windowed mode.
It's dying on me when I try to switch between windowed and fullscreen as well. It prints this:

Code: [Select]
New window size: 907735836x-1959006823
INIT FAILED!
Font size: 16x16
Resizing grid to 256x25
Segmentation fault

The stack trace from the core dump is as follows:
Code: [Select]
#0  0xf72c4bbc in renderer_2d_base::reshape(std::pair<int, int>) () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#1  0xf72c5c1d in renderer_2d_base::resize(int, int) () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#2  0xf72bf151 in renderer_2d_base::set_fullscreen() () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#3  0xf72bcae3 in enablerst::eventLoop_SDL() () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#4  0xf72bd505 in enablerst::loop(std::string) () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#5  0xf72bdd52 in main () from ./libs/libgraphics.so
#6  0xf702cbb6 in __libc_start_main () from /lib32/libc.so.6
#7  0x0804cf31 in ?? ()
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:26:32 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13