Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released  (Read 60784 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2010, 10:42:39 am »

I'm not sure yet.  I never get a chance to look at it, despite wanting to look at it.  The original idea was to require a soil wall beneath a mudless square for it to be farmable, and if it isn't that way, it's a bug.  Either way, it is somewhat confusing, because you wouldn't be able to farm in one layer of soil.  I'm not sure you should be able to, morally speaking, especially with the underground trees, but it's probably less confusing that way.

Question to anyone:

how on earth do you generate two-z-layer soil areas, then? Or does this basically mean "underground farming must be done in the cavern layers" ?

I don't think you're supposed to need two z-levels of soil.  You just need one full z-level, as opposed to a thin soil floor on top of a rock wall (which is what you get from digging out a sand layer that's right above a rock layer).

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:09 am »

Question to anyone:

how on earth do you generate two-z-layer soil areas, then? Or does this basically mean "underground farming must be done in the cavern layers" ?

Well, I never had less than 2 soil layers, but I always embark in flat forest-like areas so it must be it.

Ok I have seen something weird. Dwarves witch have "on break" sometimes go to the place where the wagon used to stand ( when i arrived ) and wait around there. The wagon has since been disassembled and i checked zones, and there is no zone there. They have designated meeting area at completely different place. (...)

From my experience dwarves who are "On break" sometimes go to random places around the fortress, not only to meeting area / zone.

I just genned a new world, and in the embark screen, I saw a volcano appear on the world map (the one to the right which shows the whole world at once). Is this a new feature in .11? Will it show every volcano on the overview map? If so, great! That'll make them much easier to find.

Volcanoes appeared on world map, since some time, even before 40d, it is definitely not new. I am not sure if all of them always appear.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2010, 10:52:36 am »

I don't think you're supposed to need two z-levels of soil.  You just need one full z-level, as opposed to a thin soil floor on top of a rock wall (which is what you get from digging out a sand layer that's right above a rock layer).

But if you dig out a stone layer above a rock layer, you'll get a rock floor above a z layer, right? So you'd need two full z levels of soil (one of which, the top one, you dig out) to make an underground farm. Which means that (in mountain areas) you'll generally need to dig down to caverns to plant underground farms. Once this bug is fixed. Correct? Or am I still confused?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:54:38 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:04 am »

My moody Mason just dragged 50 (fifty) stones into the workshop he claimed.
He is hungry thirsty and tired but still continues !
I hope for best ....
 :o

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2010, 11:52:39 am »

I had him assigned to a burrow away from the workshop he claimed.
As soon as i released him from that burrow he started the artifact.
Maybe this is a bug ?
The Artifact is a throne value 100800, the description fills a hole page.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

Maybe this is a bug ?
Post a shot for us?

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »

My character in adventure mode suffered heavy bruising to his lower spinal tissue, and lost the ability to walk. It doesn't seem to be healing, and I expected it would since the nerves weren't severed. Is that normal behavior?
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »

Maybe this is a bug ?

Yes it is a undocumented feature bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1416

Btw I intentionally exploit this with some of my artifacts, mostly to get rid of excess stone.
Hope it won't get fixed anytime soon ;)
It explodes in gore!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:14 pm »

My character in adventure mode suffered heavy bruising to his lower spinal tissue, and lost the ability to walk. It doesn't seem to be healing, and I expected it would since the nerves weren't severed. Is that normal behavior?

Nerve tissue lacks a HEALING_RATE:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NERVE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_NAME:nervous tissue:NP]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[SCARS]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:NERVE]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[VASCULAR:3]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

So yeah, it's probably working as intended, although the intended behavior may not be entirely realistic.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2010, 12:41:26 pm »

Nerve tissue lacks a HEALING_RATE

Okay, thanks. I had interpreted the bruising as swelling, which would be temporary. I mean, it's not a problem with the nerves, it's broken capillaries leaking blood into and putting pressure on the surrounding tissue.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2010, 12:47:30 pm »

Okay, thanks. I had interpreted the bruising as swelling, which would be temporary. I mean, it's not a problem with the nerves, it's broken capillaries leaking blood into and putting pressure on the surrounding tissue.

Yeah, I think in DF terms, "bruised" is used for vascular tissues that have been crushed enough that the capillaries are bleeding, with more emphasis on the crushing than the bleeding.  Also, I think the game uses "bruised" for all levels of crushing damage against soft tissue, unlike "chipping" vs. "fracturing" vs. "shattering" for damage to hard tissue.  So your nerve tissue might be very thoroughly crushed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:51:42 pm by Footkerchief »

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »

ok workaround for the crash bug is to have your squad on "inactive" all the time, so no more sparring sessions until toady fixes this :D

Haldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2010, 01:03:15 pm »

ok workaround for the crash bug is to have your squad on "inactive" all the time, so no more sparring sessions until toady fixes this :D

Hmm, i'll see if that works for my game...

EDIT: Yay! It did! Also, proving conclusively that it's a military demonstration issue :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:05:53 pm by Haldor »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

Read my notes in your bug entry in Mantis.
It explodes in gore!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »

Something in .11 is definitely making me crash more often than usual.. in .10 I had two mature forts without a single crash, but now in .11 I've crashed twice within a hour in a 40-pop fort. I suspect it has something to do with the military training, as now I'm letting them spar and do demonstrations in active/training because it works, whereas in .10 I never used it.

Do you make digging designations by dragging with the mouse? I had one such crash I think.

I think it means the crash may have been caused by one of those weird things that can happen while the game is paused and the player click+drags the mouse around making designations.
I had a mouse-drag crash, genned in .31.11 Genesis-mod.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:27:58 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13