Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released  (Read 60829 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 Released
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »

Ah finally, I glad to see there is a work around to the crash, I'm still hope this'll mean a .12 quick fix now that we've pinpointed the possible cause. I like to hold a game without this error in mind. Otherwise I can still tolerate it to an extent.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:19:59 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2010, 01:37:58 pm »

I don't think I changed the skill rate loading this time.  If it's broken, it has probably been broken for a while.  The "rusty" display is new.

If somebody has a novice or competent skill, and they get 1 level of rust, that is at least 50% rust so they get "rusty" displayed.  I don't quite remember, but that'll happen after half a year or something.  It would still only take just one learning event (like a finished job) to get rid of all the rust at that level.  So this isn't really a serious effect, but it looks bad I guess.  It would take much more time to get a "rusty" on a higher skill, and even in that case it's not a permanent loss and would only take a few jobs to work off.  Permanent loss takes years even for one level.

That said, I wouldn't mind putting in an init option.

For a single dwarf, this sounds perfectly reasonable. But here's how you have to think of such things, in a fort with 150 dwarves and 50 who's skills you care about, that's around 25 tasks for the player per year to prevent permanent skill loss. That's a ton of babysitting when you are trying to realize your vision for the fort with everything else going on like ambushes and seiges and whatever.

This game is never lacking in really fun stuff for the player to pay attention to, so when you add tasks at this point, it has to be up to par in the fun category.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:22 pm »

I don't think it's as big a deal as that, because honestly, that situation would only arise if you have dwarves not doing their prescribed jobs for years on end. If that happens, then I think the more serious problem is the way the fortress is being run.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

Dwarf Fortress trumps any and all modern games on today's market.

Too true...

With combined low-mantinence and incredible depth, DF is impossible to beat.
Meowth! That's right!

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »

I'm wondering... with the fix to Shell reactions and Bone reactions, will the fix be in soon to allow Reactions to produce Shell and Bone objects soon?

That has been bugging me for a long time. I've tried dozens of permutations with the newest releases, but still all trying to make Dragon Bone and Turtle Shell reactions do... is crash Dwarf Fortress.

I'd really love an update on that.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

I don't think it's as big a deal as that, because honestly, that situation would only arise if you have dwarves not doing their prescribed jobs for years on end. If that happens, then I think the more serious problem is the way the fortress is being run.

That depends entirely on what your goals are. Let's say you have structure that will take twenty years to build. First you have to make sure you have some defense, you make full sets of bronze armor and weapons for 20 dwarves or whatever, and your armorsmith gains some skill. Before you delve down and get better metals, you might want to finish that structure. You'll have dwarves killed over the decade, but you still have all the weapons and armor you need until you're ready for the next expansion. By the time you're ready to dig down and get better metals, you armorsmith will have lost most of his skills by that time unless you *repeatedly* set him making more junk to pitch into the atom smasher. I'm busy!

I dunno, my forts take many decades to build, and I'm never sitting around looking for something to do. I've got plans that don't involve making useless items just to add to the already obscene item count in an old fort. Half my labor is already spent just dumping the junk the goblins bring.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:28 pm »

By the time we have standing production orders, you could set those to have, let's say, thirty pieces of armor around at all times, then become an armor exporter.

It's still a little extra work, but I'd be fine with that. Makes the fort seem more real, somehow. You?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

Anyways, I wonder whats up with those crashes that have been reported?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2010, 02:51:09 pm »

If somebody has a novice or competent skill, and they get 1 level of rust, that is at least 50% rust so they get "rusty" displayed.  I don't quite remember, but that'll happen after half a year or something.

I got a couple military migrants in my first summer. By early autumn, they were already rusty. Might wanna check the time interval on that one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »

That depends entirely on what your goals are. Let's say you have structure that will take twenty years to build. First you have to make sure you have some defense, you make full sets of bronze armor and weapons for 20 dwarves or whatever, and your armorsmith gains some skill. Before you delve down and get better metals, you might want to finish that structure. You'll have dwarves killed over the decade, but you still have all the weapons and armor you need until you're ready for the next expansion. By the time you're ready to dig down and get better metals, you armorsmith will have lost most of his skills by that time unless you *repeatedly* set him making more junk to pitch into the atom smasher. I'm busy!

I dunno, my forts take many decades to build, and I'm never sitting around looking for something to do. I've got plans that don't involve making useless items just to add to the already obscene item count in an old fort. Half my labor is already spent just dumping the junk the goblins bring.
It is an issue of playstyle yes. I can't stand even making bronze armour, let alone leaving my soldiers in them for a decade. "Dig down to better metals" = the HFS metal I presume? I compromise at steel and I'd be busy making masterworks by the time I'm a year into building whatever superstructure megaproject I want.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »

By the time we have standing production orders, you could set those to have, let's say, thirty pieces of armor around at all times, then become an armor exporter.

It's still a little extra work, but I'd be fine with that. Makes the fort seem more real, somehow. You?

By the way it would be good idea to have orders like "make X items every Y years/months". That way you could prevent permanent skill loses without additional micromanagement.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2010, 05:07:32 pm »

*facepalm*

My apologies. It's incrdibly obvious that that would happen, but somehow I didn't realize.

I'll have it fixed soon. Meanwhile, yeah, start in windowed mode.

Here's the tracker entry so that you can mark it fixed.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »

By the way it would be good idea to have orders like "make X items every Y years/months". That way you could prevent permanent skill loses without additional micromanagement.

Conditional orders are on the suggestion voting page. I believe there's a thread for them.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »

One of my dwarves keep trying to clean himself and cancelling it. Is this a bug? Soap is available. Also, bit of a noob question but since dwarves do invidual training, how can they train armor or shield skills? Will they just permanently rust that skill since it goes unused?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:19 pm »

Is anyone having problems with gaining almost no experience in solo or group drills? I've had my dwarves train for a year as a group, and half a year solo, and NONE have passed 100 exp (according to dwarftherapist) in the skill. They're all listed as dabbling, and they've all been actively training.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13