Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Walking "Across" ramps

(1/1)

DeathToGamer:
okay, so I'm working on my first fractural room design right now.

I built it around my rampwell though, and 2 of the arms have to come out of the walls that the ramps connect to. I was wondering if a dwarf has to walk across a ramp does it take more steps? or is it the same I.E do they have to go down the ramp to -1 z-level or do they just walk across?

The other reason I was wondering this is that I am trying to find out which is more effective over all... a stairwell or a rampwell

Particleman:
Walking one tile east and one level down via ramps takes as much time as walking one step on the level. However, going up or down a level via stairs counts as travelling one tile too, so a dwarf would have to go one level down, then one tile east, in two steps rather than one.

So yeah, ramps are more distance-efficient at the cost of taking up more room on the X/Y axis.

I've heard that stairs also slow down pathfinding, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Terisuke:

--- Quote from: Particleman on July 23, 2010, 10:51:13 pm ---Walking one tile east and one level down via ramps takes as much time as walking one step on the level. However, going up or down a level via stairs counts as travelling one tile too, so a dwarf would have to go one level down, then one tile east, in two steps rather than one.

So yeah, ramps are more distance-efficient at the cost of taking up more room on the X/Y axis.

I've heard that stairs also slow down pathfinding, but I don't know if that's true or not.

--- End quote ---
The idea is that you can travel omnidirectionally from a stair tile, but ramps are directional - so it limits the pathfinding options, thus simplifying the pathing work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version