Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wait, I have to set my Dwarfs to actually train now? 31.11ver  (Read 881 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If i am not mistaken, I can set my dwarfs to train now.. and they do from what i have seen.

Also, my marksman dwarfs are also training for a first. This makes me really happy to see.

Is this true? Am i missing anything?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, I have to set my Dwarfs to actually train now? 31.11ver
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:00:05 am »

It's been true for me since 31.08, so, yes, it's true.

We're probably all missing something, as we're busy playing with dwarfs............ ZzZzZzZ, mostly........

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:05:00 am »

They do "individual combat drills" if you designate a barracks and set them to train from the bed that defines the room.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:22 am »

huh. interesting.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:26 am »

I guess some explaination of how the new training system works (as far as I understand it) is in order:

- If a dwarf is drafted into the military and is set to inactive, they will carry on with their jobs as normal until they are assigned a barracks.

- If they are assigned a barracks, they will do individual combat drills in their spare time. I'm not 100% what constitutes "spare time", but it seems to take priority over most jobs

- If they are set to active and scheduled to train, they will try to do group training with their squad. You can tell they're ready to group train because their graphic and title will switch to their military title; recruit, wrestler, axedwarf, whatever. Group training consists mostly of demonstrations and sparring, but they can also revert to individual training if there aren't enough dwarves around for everyone to pair off.

They've always done individual combat drills if they're assigned a barracks, its the group training they've struggled with, which you have to have them set to 'train' to use. From my brief play around with 31.11 earlier, they do seem to get into group training a lot more easily, but I didn't play for long.