Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woundopen - The holy prison of the heathen -- Comm fort with major user input  (Read 777 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The 23rd of Granite, 5 PM, the year of the holy father

The holy city. The last remaining city that worshiped the only benevolent god in the land of the folowers of Armok, that went by the name of "The Jackal". The city its self was only known as "The blessed ground", with it's real dwarven name lost in the backyears of its founding and with the fear of angering The Jackal, had never been renamed officaly. And every 12 years in the holy city, all records of the 12 years before were fully removed and were recorded into the books of the holy folowers leaders library, where all of the citys history was kept. All other sources of this information were found and razed to the ground. Harboring such information would result in the execution of the holder and his family. Whilst the god themselves may of been benevolent, the religous leaders of the city made sure that their folowers never found out. And on this special day, at the stroke of the bell at 5 O'clock in the afternoon, the holy father, whom was the folowers supreme leader, would tell his closest folowers what was to happen in the coming years.....

BONG screamed the bell. A visible bead of sweat rolled down the dwarf's face. BONG screamed the bell. The holy father placed his hands is the shape of a triangle and muttered a small prayer. BONG screamed the bell. The holy fathers advisor held a small grin on his face as he crossed his hands over his legs. BONG screamed the bell. The fathers personal guards, wearing their ritual armour, stood at attention at the doors to the room. BONG screamed the bell. As the ding of the bell finaly passed away, the advisor cleared their throat and whispered to the holy father. With a nod of his head, he turned to the dwarf and said "I belive you know why you are here, my dwarven friend?" he said. With a weak nod of his head, the dwarf replied "Yes. I do.". With a smile, the advisor said "Well then, let us get to the point. The holy father has recently..." here, the advisor gave the dwarf a quick smile. The dwarf stopped himself from spitting. "Ahem. He has recently noted that there has been a sharp rise in the levels of the Un-holy, the heathen, the armok folowers and the ignorant". The advisor cleared his throat before continuing. "You are to fix it. You are on of the many dwarves who have been assigned the duty, no the HONOUR, of creating a small temple and prison for the removal, re-education and if needed,". The advisor leaned in as the holy father was looking out the window to the city beyond it "the extermination of the non-believers of the holy god of The Jackal". With a big grin, the advisor continued "Of course, if you wish, you may decline. How ever, should you do so, you will be moved to the nether reigons of the holy empire to work with the not so fortunate people of the reigon". Both of the dwarves knew that the reigon was known for being assaulted by enemy empires under the sign of armok, goblin seiges and kobold raids. The estimated survival time of an outsider in the reigon was low. The estimated survival time of a religous leader in the area was so small, no such dwarf had ever survived. "I accept" the dwarf replied with a grimace. "Excelent. Then this conversation is over. You may leave now." With a stamp of his boots and a salute to the holy father he turned and walked away and with a slam of the door, he was gone.

OOC: Well, now that horrible story part is over, lets lay out whats happening. This is a community fort which is heavily based around user input. The basic 'storyline' is that the first year or more of people are the wardens, holy men, nobles,menial work force people. The rest, are to be declared either heritics, non-belivers, witches, armok folowers etc. In the case that guard numbers etc get low, a few people will be accepted as sane. Due to my low cpu power and my wish to have FUN, alot of the people who come will be executed quickly in multiple ways, according to what I or players in the concernedpositions have chosen them to have down or be.

Players may choose to control a warden etc at the start or wait it out and choose a inmate. A number of inmates will be kept alive as it is to help build the temple, fish, farm, make crafts etc and should a dwarf be chosen, they will not be executed UNLESS the player decides to try to escape/attempts to injure someone/ damages large amounts of property, etc. This whole thing will be fleshed out later but for now, just choose a dwarf on the next post and lets go from there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:37:52 am by nuker w »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to know some specific detail, ask me and i'll add it to the involved dwarf. ALL dwarves BESIDE inmates are folowers of 'The Jackal'. When you make your app, also add what you want them to be in the prison/folowers household/temple.

Tosid Zefonkol, Miner -- LINKedup, folower
Female, 70 years old and has a little difficulty with words.

Ilral Thobnazom, Expediton leader -- Antymattar, folower, the main dwarf in the IC story.
Male, 71 years old and is flimsy and prone to disease.

Tosid Atekrisen, stone worker -- Free, folower
Female, 63 years old and is weak, quite clumsy and very prone to disease.

Kogsak Thobzansong, Jewler -- Free, folower
Female, 82 years old and is slow to heal.

Dodok Athelzalis, Fisherdwarf -- OmnipotentGrue, folower
Female, 62 years old and is flimsy and has trouble with social meetings etc.

Asen Udibdallith, Fish Cleaner -- existent, folower
Female, 72 years old and indefatigable.

Nil Mafolethab, Docter -- Nuker w, plot bases around them.
Male, 84 years old and is smart and has very good focus.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:24:11 pm by nuker w »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

I will take Ilral Thobnazom!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile

I'll take Asen, make 'er a guard.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:49:31 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unlike a succession fort, a community fort is run by a single player.  Watchers can take dwarves within the world (who are named after them) and suggest character traits or inclinations for the dwarf in question.  The fort player/author then relates the events of the fortress, usually from an in-character perspective, taking into account the suggestions made.  The level of reader input can vary from nearly every major decision requiring a vote or suggestions from the readers to the author only taking the character suggestions and working to bring them to life.

Some excellent examples you might want to check out include the (now completed) Legend of Nist Akath and the ongoing tale of Oceanbled/Migrursut.  Both of these follow the route of taking character detail input and then writing the story based on that, with only sporadic direct input from the readership.  Other forts require much more reader input through polls etc, and some stories take the middle road.*

Typically, community forts are a lot of fun to read and some of them last a long time, delivering epic and enchanting tales.

*I could give you an example of a story with fairly regular reader input checks that I think is excellent, but that would be a shameless plug and isn't a community fort anyway.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

LINKedup

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'll take Tosid the Miner.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dodok Athelzalis, Fisherdwarf plx kthxbye

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

Ochita as jeweller
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, first update coming soon. Just a bit busy at the moment.