Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Victoria:An empire under the sun  (Read 1155 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Victoria:An empire under the sun
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »

The game's great, this is a general discussion thread. For those of you who havn't played it..Go play it. Now.

So anyway, in my game I"m currently sending assloads of troops to Germany to help WWI on the Allies side. Currently all I can say is they're not making any progress on the Belgium/Dutch/French front but they're making EASY headway into Russia. Austria is also of concern for me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria:An empire under the sun
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »

I find the game sort of difficult to get into. I wanted to run a small European country, so I started with Switzerland, but it was boring because very little actually happened. Then I read a gudie that suggested I try starting with Netherlands, but I started out at war and didn't know what to do.

Hopefully Victoria 2 will help ease new players into it a bit more.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:53:15 pm »

Try Sardinia-Piedmont, they start off fairly prosperous and (unless they are unlucky with the events) will get french help in unifying Italy.  They are small enough to be manageable but not so large as to be overwhelming and they are strong enough to go on military adventures in the third world from early on in the game.

As a newbie, I'd suggest that if you play as Sardinia-Piedmont and France choses to back a different Italian nation instead, you just reload the game and try again because taking on France is a pretty big challenge.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »

Yeah, France is a bit of a work-over. My only real challenge as Switzerland (besides watching the Germans fight wars all around me) was keeping my relations up with France, the only stable bordering nation, who always ended up hating me over things.

I will try Sardinia-Piedmont as you suggest, and see how it goes. I really want to find a nation which will let me build relatively safely, though it's difficult in this sort of game to be sure, so I can get a feel for all the features and things to do. Switzerland's main problem was that the population grew so slowly I was stuck with the same industry for ages.

The VickyWiki is a big help, though.

EDIT: You must have some mods on, because Sardinia-Piedmont isn't a choosable nation.

EDIT2: I'm stupid. The reason it wasn't in the drop down list is because it was already on the list of flags at game start. Herp.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:04:52 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »

I think checking out the WW1 scenario for quick training in how combat works would be a good idea. The Civil War one works too, both are fun and easy to get into.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 09:39:22 pm »

A big problem with Vicki is that a lot is left up to event choices by other nations that you can't influence.  Occasionally France supports Two Sicilies instead of Sardinia-Piedmont and all the Italian liberals joyfully rush to enlist for the monarch in Naples.  Occasionally France decides to go 'save' the catholics in switzerland, which means taking half their territory.  If spain choses the italian king instead of the german king, Prussia doesn't get the historical Franco-Prussian war to unite Germany.

Combat is really easy when you realize two things:
1) The AI ignores terrain.  Get them to attack you in very favorable terrain and they are screwed.
2) The AI can't retreat if it attacks you and retreats, and you capture it's retreat destination while it's traveling.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.