Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The CPU - FPS test  (Read 22770 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: The CPU - FPS test
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 02:19:21 pm »

CPU: i7 920 - 2.66Ghz
MB: Asus P6X58D
FPS [1min test]: 55-75

Stayed around the upper end of that scale mostly.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 02:25:55 pm »

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66Ghz
MB: Asus P6T
FPS [1min test]: 49-57

Weird stuff. You lads have the same system, and there is a huge difference in your FPS.  :o [PS. I was surprised that Vattic only had 49-57FPS with a i7....55-75 looks ok however.]

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 02:39:24 pm »

Yeah thats why I also posted my motherboard, my CPU is even the same stepping as his.

Other bits include: Geforce 260 and 12Gb of 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:41:50 pm by WormSlayer »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »

Weird stuff. You lads have the same system, and there is a huge difference in your FPS.  :o [PS. I was surprised that Vattic only had 49-57FPS with a i7....55-75 looks ok however.]

"Same system"? All they posted was motherboard and CPU model. You can hardly say they're the same system based on that alone. What OS? What graphics card? Are their drivers up to date? What init settings, what graphics modes, what display settings? Does one of them have half the RAM of the other at twice the speed? And so on.

Other protip: Speed will vary a lot depending on your GPU (and drivers), which version you're running and under which print options, presumably RAM amount/speed, other running processes, and I don't know how much else. You can't draw too many conclusions using limited data here.

Are you serious? Isn't DF all about CPU power? I mean, will there be an FPS difference if you play with a GTX280 instead of a 9800GT?

If this were true, then the SDL/OpenGL merge never would have happened. DF is all about CPU power, which is why offloading as much of that to the graphics hardware as possible was important. I'm not 100% sure how the different currently-available modes impact FPS, but they certainly do in plenty of cases.

Also, you're ignoring everything else I mentioned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 03:04:15 pm »

All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »

"Same system"? All they posted was motherboard and CPU model. You can hardly say they're the same system based on that alone. What OS? What graphics card? Are their drivers up to date? What init settings, what graphics modes, what display settings? Does one of them have half the RAM of the other at twice the speed? And so on.

I know, but it's a 10-15 FPS difference afterall, and that is kinda weird I guess....?

Maybe...? :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:09:13 pm by Tormy »

GuidedByCthulhu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 07:01:43 pm »

CPU: AMD LE-1640, Single Core 2.6 gHz
Ram: 3gb
GFX: 8600GTS
Mobo: Some unmarked rebrand (Acer)

FPS (1 Min Test): 10-20fps, avg. was about 18

Good enough result I guess.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Core 2.19 Ghz
Ram: DDR2-800 PC2-6400 4GB
MB: asrock alivenf7g-fullhd

I'm getting 18-22 FPS, which seems really low. I didn't think my PC was that bad.

Somewhat related... would adding a 1 GB DDR 3200 stick of memory from my old PC boost my computer's performance (noticeably)?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:00:03 pm by Ceaser »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »

Maybe...? :)
[/quote]

DF is a 32-bit executable, so it'll only use... I think 2GB of RAM? And I doubt anything else on the computer is using anywhere near half that amount; if it is, that's hardly a common usage scenario.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:56 am »

Other parts for me:
ATI Radeon HD 5870
6Gb of 1333MHz Corsair RAM
160GB Intel X25-M Solid State Hard Drive (Not worth the money :P, only bought it because this the first PC I built for myself and I'd saved enough by the time I went shopping, though it does boot to desktop fast)

Wonder where the difference in speed is coming from, perhaps the RAM? The motherboards are different but not that different. Then again, thinking about it, it wouldn't hurt for me to update my drivers.

Strange, has got me a little concerned though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:29 am »

So, I noticed that none of you had crappy computers, so I took it upon myself to test this save out on my old ass Compaq Presario (because that's the only computer I have.) SR1503WM (that's right, I bought it at walmart. You may all point and laugh now, and I will cry.)

CPU: Intel Celeron D @ 2.93 Ghz
RAM: 1.5 GB (I forget what kind. I believe it's Corsair, but I'm just not sure.)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT by Sparkle

FPS: A steady 12, until the 30 second mark, when it inexplicably dropped to 8 for three seconds, and then jumped right back up to 12.

Conclusion: Don't designate a boatload of stuff all at once on a six year old computer.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 03:01:43 am »

Also, newer processors are just well... better a lot of the time. The clock speed may be the same, but the number of clock cycles it takes to perform an instruction can vary. Take something simple like adding. CPU 1 finishes an add in 5 cycles, CPU 2 finishes an add in 2 cycles. Even if they have the same clock speed CPU 2 will be much faster.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 05:22:14 am »

Other parts for me:
ATI Radeon HD 5870
6Gb of 1333MHz Corsair RAM
160GB Intel X25-M Solid State Hard Drive (Not worth the money :P, only bought it because this the first PC I built for myself and I'd saved enough by the time I went shopping, though it does boot to desktop fast)

Wonder where the difference in speed is coming from, perhaps the RAM? The motherboards are different but not that different. Then again, thinking about it, it wouldn't hurt for me to update my drivers.

Strange, has got me a little concerned though.

I don't know, but it's weird indeed. It can't be the RAM [check G-Flex's post]. Something slowed down your system...maybe it's a virus or something? Update your drivers, and rerun the test right after boot up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:23:48 am by Tormy »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

It's not a virus, or at least I seriously doubt it. Does the frequency of the RAM make no difference in DF?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to leave the updates for the next 3 - 4 days as I'm working nights and busy with other things too. I'll get it done and post again here with the results. Hopefully nobody will mind me resurrecting this topic.

Could it perhaps have something to do with the graphics card and the rendering? DF uses OpenGL right? I might try and compare my PCs performance in other tasks with others with the same setup, just have to post on some busy tech forums. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with my parts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »

Are you serious? Isn't DF all about CPU power? I mean, will there be an FPS difference if you play with a GTX280 instead of a 9800GT?
While we are at it, what are the best init settings for an average system? [4Gb RAM, 3Ghz dual core, GTX260, OS: Vista x64]

Also, newer processors are just well... better a lot of the time. The clock speed may be the same, but the number of clock cycles it takes to perform an instruction can vary. Take something simple like adding. CPU 1 finishes an add in 5 cycles, CPU 2 finishes an add in 2 cycles. Even if they have the same clock speed CPU 2 will be much faster.

DF doesn't need processing power, it needs a cpu that can move bytes around quickly. On a decent fort it is doing a scatter read/write on almost 500 megs of ram. Newer processors just happen to have better memory access.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8