Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Beard situation:

All dwarves have beards
- 133 (41.7%)
Males bearded; females beardless (default setting)
- 163 (51.1%)
Females bearded; males beardless
- 14 (4.4%)
All dwarves beardless (horrors!)
- 9 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Do your female dwarves have beards?  (Read 41806 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Do your female dwarves have beards?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »

I think of the female dwarves like NW_Kohaku's dnd example. Probably cause thats what I'm used to seeing back when I played Neverwinter Nights and a female dwarf joined the party. Bout as tall as they are wide, broadshouldered, a bit heavy, a bit busty, and beardless. Just in general I think dwarves weigh more than a human, dwarves are jus really compact and heavy set, really dense I guess.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »

I think of the female dwarves like NW_Kohaku's dnd example. Probably cause thats what I'm used to seeing back when I played Neverwinter Nights and a female dwarf joined the party. Bout as tall as they are wide, broadshouldered, a bit heavy, a bit busty, and beardless. Just in general I think dwarves weigh more than a human, dwarves are jus really compact and heavy set, really dense I guess.

Unfortunately, that isn't currently reflected in-game, as all of the tissues dwarves are comprised of are the same tissues that every other creature is comprised of, meaning they all have the same density, but also, most tissues have a density of "500" (which is in kg/m3 to make the unitless numbers in DF into metric), including bones and almost all internal organs (only fat and muscles have non-dummied out values), which is half that of water.

As such, dwarves are size 60,000 and humans are size 70,000, and the only structural difference between them, according to raws, is that dwarves have a larger liver (which is, again, half as dense as water, and less dense than any tissue that has non-dummied values).

The only area where dwarves can compensate for this is in their bonus to strength, which arbitrarily adds muscle mass (that actually signfiicantly slows dwarves down so that they move, on average, once every 12 turns instead of the 10 they once did), which in turn adds density and mass.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »

Yeah, I know that in game density doesn't make any difference with races. I jus tried to describe how I viewed the dwarves XP

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 04:32:44 pm »

My females are beardless, maybe it's because I think of them as Mr. Kohaku described them, or maybe it's just because I'm too lazy to edit my raws.

I'd like to know what Toady's dwarfs look like.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:35:23 pm by ILikePie »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 04:34:07 pm »

Bearded women are gross.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »

Yeah, I know that in game density doesn't make any difference with races. I jus tried to describe how I viewed the dwarves XP

I know, but volume, mass, and density are kind of my pet projects at the moment.

It is entirely possible to actually mod this into being correct values, although I am unsure of what those correct values are right now.  (Searching for bone desnity on the Internet just gets you Osteoperosis websites.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 04:50:53 pm »

Bearded women are gross.
  You better be joking. I happen to not be a bearded female (or know any), but bearded Dwarves are sexy.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »

I would like to point out that if female dwarfs didn't have beards, they would probably wear fake ones, since dwarven culture places high value on beards. (Which is why many powerful, female Egyptian pharaohs wore fake beards.)

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »

My Female dwarfs do have beards. You can blame Sir Terry Pratchett for it. Also, when you think dwarf, three things usually come to mind: Short, axe and beard. All dwarfs should have a beard. It's just the right way.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 05:57:00 pm »

On account of real-life females being mostly incapable of growing themselves a mighty chin-warmer, I keep my dwarven women as I do my human women. I imagine, though, that false beards or long sideburns are optional for the dwarfier of the female dwarves. Given dwarven propensity for braiding, it's fun thinking about the various follicular arrangements that dwarven ladies would put their hair into to imitate the dwarven status symbol that is: The beard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, there will be some that simply choose to leave their chins undressed. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »

Dwarf females... those full busts... those wide, strong hips... those lush, floor-length beards...

Yeah, so I much prefer them without beards, actually, but if I had my way, I'd shave anything and everything in sight. Just for kicks.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 06:10:02 pm »

I always liked the way the female dwarf in the second chapter of the D&D 3rd ed was drawn - broad-shouldered, broad-faced, and fairly matronly, but not UGLY, nor something obviously meant to be a sex object.

Totally agree.  Dwarves aren't short humans.  That's halflings, something that Toady has thankfully left out.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

Urgh, halflings. They're not just short humans, they're miniature humans.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 07:11:11 pm »

It's like asking "do your female halflings have haired feet"? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 07:50:06 pm »

Seriously, you silly humans. Stop trying to port your standards of attractivity over to the dwarves. BEARDS! MUST! BE!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13