Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Beard situation:

All dwarves have beards
- 133 (41.7%)
Males bearded; females beardless (default setting)
- 163 (51.1%)
Females bearded; males beardless
- 14 (4.4%)
All dwarves beardless (horrors!)
- 9 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Do your female dwarves have beards?  (Read 41801 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do your female dwarves have beards?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 07:57:40 pm »

quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »

Sorry, but I prefer Lineage 2 dwarven females.

http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/game_art/lineage_2/character_render_dwarf_female.jpg

Haha, the pedo-bait dwarves!  What's even better is that they then tried to add beards to those little girls, too!  (And the men were all white-haired stumpy, grumpy-looking old men, too!)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »

Sorry, but I prefer Lineage 2 dwarven females.

http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/game_art/lineage_2/character_render_dwarf_female.jpg

That's a wee human girl, unless I'm blind on both eyes. But then again I rather liked the Warhammer Mini-Helga's, or shall I say Valkyrie-Dwarves, so I'm not blaming anyone for their tastes, will suffice to say the Dwarf in her is very well hidden.

Voted Beards. ;)

---

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 08:50:25 pm »

BEEEEEEEEEARDS!
It'd be a two-class society, otherwise! Sexual segregation! And such cannot be!

Either you drop the assumption that beards are something to be proud of, or you insult every single female beardless dwarf that ever fought in the front lines, mined out a fortress where before there was none, or - and heavens, what must that be - gave birth to future dwarves.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »

Either you drop the assumption that beards are something to be proud of, or you insult every single female beardless dwarf that ever fought in the front lines, mined out a fortress where before there was none, or - and heavens, what must that be - gave birth to future dwarves.

I'll drop the assumption that beards are something to be proud of, then, thanks.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »

Hehe, that lineage 2 dwarf looks more like a halfling or as others have said a small human.

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »

I'll drop the assumption that beards are something to be proud of, then, thanks.

Don't be silly. They're dwarves. If we're going to drop that, we might as well make them all teetotallers with a fear of the dark as well.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 11:01:58 pm »

I run default style dwarves, but I like the idea of them having long sideburns IE mutton chops, I don't know why, but for some reason it strikes me as cute. ;D

also remember that females must be protected at all costs from a species survival standpoint, especially with the dwarven casualty rate. this is a decent explanation for female dwarves being uncommon in fantasy literature as you would not risk such a valuable individual on suicide missions to fight the big bad. not trying to be misogynistic but it is true, males simply can not produce a baby. the balance can easily shift however since Dwarves are genetically monogamous. it is a very confusing topic :-\

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 11:05:39 pm »

I am too lazy to edit the raws but I do view dwarven women as beardless however they make up for that by being just as badass without one.  Dwarves prove their awesomeness--not argue over who has a bigger beard.

Hmm... maybe braided sideburns.
Worship!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 12:16:25 am »

Read Goblin Fortress [NSFW]. It has proof (that is very NSFW) that female dwarfs are beardless. And very sexy.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:24 am »

Bearded, blame Tolkien if you must blame someone. I'd imagine they have just as much testosterone as male dwarves, if not more. The gender difference being so small I'd bet there is little overall difference. When I play I rarely notice the differene, save when they give birth. I also like to picture the humans trying to figure out the gender of the broker and even taking bets perhaps.

Quote from: Trader 1
She must be female she has an ample bosom.
Quote from: Trader 2
True, true but so does their king.

I have no problem with people who rather their female dwarves clean shaven, but remember most are only clean shaven because they shave or wax. This might be abstracted in game but females often have to deal with facial hair in real life, including dwarfs I'd imagine.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

I disagree. I believe that the only reasons a female would have a beard would be if they put on a fake beard to save face (no pun intended) because they got the idea that beards are required on all dwarfs, rather than just the males.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 12:56:23 am »

I like the idea of female dwarves not having beards, but coming up with either a clothing or own-hair related substitute. Like tying two braids under their chins or something, because beards are the symbol of dwarfiness. I was doodling around today and ended up with a chick dwarf who wears a thick scarf around her neck, because maybe in dwarven society, bare chins are considered ugly or undwarfy.

I can also see the ladies with sideburn braids or even maybe stubble. Tolkien makes me pretty open to facial hair, but I have a hard time visualizing it.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:23 am »

What was Tolkien's stance on ladybeards?

Also, my friend tried to get me to play Dragon Age. I started making a character, then went to check if female dwarves had beards. When I found out they didn't, I was like fuck this
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 01:20:16 am »

In my mind all dwarves have beards (unless they're forcibly shaved as punishment) but I don't bother editing the raws.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13