Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeletal aquarium... possible?  (Read 1496 times)

Fenrix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Skeletal aquarium... possible?
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »

So, I've just started grinding the worldgen to try and find an evil oceanside volcano with sand. I've been playing a while and feel I'm about ready to start a seemingly impossible megaproject.

However, I have a few questions which the wiki has been unable to answer; some apply to normal aquariums too.

1) Capture live fish. Obviously, skeletal fish... ain't really alive. Will this still work?

2) Will captured fish murder one another if I shove, say, sharks and tuna in the same tank?

3) Can I put saltwater fish in freshwater tanks?

4) Skeletal fish can walk on land, according to the wiki. Are they likely to waltz out of their tanks and boatmurder my fort? (and how far overland can they walk?)

5) In case I need to sell one, are undead fish sellable? And are they worth more or less?

6) Will they spread miasma?

7) Am I wasting my time? Is it... actually doable?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletal aquarium... possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »

Capture live fish captures vermin fish, I think (like turtles and moghoppers).  To catch and cage larger fish, you'll need to get underwater cage traps somehow (usually by having a "funnel" into a drainable tunnel filled with said traps).

Zombie and skeletal fish can walk on land as far as they want, but they won't be able to get out if you build a wall around the "aquarium", or if they're in a glass aquarium-cage rather than a pit full of water (although the former might be preferable, to stop them from scaring your dwarfs, since glass walls still block line-of-sight).

Like this (side view):

X_____X
X~~~~~X

where X is glass walls and ~ is water (and _ is empty space without water, to prevent escapees).

And now that I think about it, you won't actually need underwater cage traps for undead aquatic wildlife, given that they can walk on land.  Just use bait animals or something (bait dorfs?) to get them into your cage traps.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring