Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What should I do with this embark?!  (Read 2610 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
What should I do with this embark?!
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

Alright, so I embarked in a location consisting of a small bit of red sand desert, towered over by huge sheer cliffs. This place has the potential for an insane fortress, and I've been looking for a challenge. So, what are your suggestions for a megafort?

By the way, here's a link to the map.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:35:26 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with this embark?!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:27:48 pm »

Ignore the lowlands for now.  The top of the main mountain or the top of that smaller terrace midway up would be amazing fort locations.  In fact, I'd build on both of them and make an enclosed skybridge out of glass linking both entrances, then reduce movement cost for it so your dwarves move around in it all the time.  Bonus points if it's caravan-passable and you need to travel through it to reach your depot.  When you're a more mature fort, wall off and flood the lowlands, or use them as a staging ground for an epic megaproject - or both. 

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »

I'm gonna go with glass castle (made of desert sand) encompassing the mountainside. BONUS: Make two layers of walls, and fill the space between them with water and creatures, so that you have and aquarium castle. MEGABONUS: Fill it with Magma instead. Magma castle. Woot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:45:52 pm »

My main concern is that I have no idea where caravans, sieges, etc. will show up. Does the direction of the capital of a civilization from your fortress determine the direction they come on to the map from? If not, I'd expect the caravans to come from the low area or the summit.

I'll wait to see where the first supply caravan comes from, and if it's the desert, I'll remove the slopes at the base of the mountain and construct a massive spiraling ramp made of clear glass all the way up to the summit and my skybridge.

While I'm at it, I might as well build my glass magmacastle entirely over the pit, with the whole thing resting on the spiral ramp...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:28 pm »

Now that's DWARVEN. I like the way you think.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:38 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily call those cliffs sheer or huge, but it's still an impressive spot.

Suggestion: Giant kangaroo statue.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »

Yeah, I was actually hoping for totally vertical cliffs. Does anyone know of a worldgen seed that produces crazy altitude changes?
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

AFAIK, you have to set periodic erosion of extreme cliffs to NO in worldgen.

@Untelligent: On top of the magmacastle?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

Maximize elevation x- and y-variances, turn off erosion, turn off all the reject parameters, and embark on a small or smaller world. On the embark screen, look for spots on the region and local maps where lowlands are next to the big light grey mountain triangles. Then change the local map to elevation view (the one with all the blue and grey squares) and look for an embark spot with a lowest blue square by the highest grey square.

I got a 100-story mountain in 40d with this method. Usually end up in the 50-80 range, though.

You will NOT get flat cliffs, though, even without erosion. The only way to get flat cliffs is to get a river or ocean in a spot with some decent elevation changes (I hear turning erosion makes rivers deeper) or switch to a version of DF from before the cliffs got all rampy.

@MaximumZero: No, put the magmacastle on top of the kangaroo.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:01:20 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:19:07 pm »

Or, you know, just have your miners make some cliffs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »

How about a turtle, with elephants on its back, with magmafalls, and the magmacastle on top of the elephants, with the kangaroo on top?

Okay, now I'm just being silly. I need to stop that. </silly> There, that should work.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »

Massive Aerial Trap Field.

Have a lot of long, twisty, 1-wide paths with no walkways, high above the ground, that invaders have to cross over. Dig into the cavern layers from the surface, not your base, so *everything* has to come in that way. Line them with weapon traps, fortified outposts for marksdwarves and war dog pits- anything to make them dodge to their deaths.

Have a walled-off but unroofed area beneath the bridges- maybe the nobles chambers- where it will be a steady rain of goblings, humans, elves, troglodytes, giant cave spiders and forgotten beasts.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:01 am »

Well you do have two nice peaks on top of a cliff facing a desert, you could suspend your fort between them? Can't really think of anything else you couldn't do with any other map, if you like the location you need to preserve as much of it as possible, I guess.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 12:14:34 am »

So, a spiral ramp made of pure clear glass that goes straight through giant obsidian turtle/kangaroo statues, topped with a giant glass magma-castle, which is constantly dropping waterfalls of magma down onto the hellish gauntlet of lava moats and trap-filled hallways in the desert below?!
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:22 am »

Yes. This will do. Nicely.

Gentlemen?

Pages: [1] 2 3