Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick bits of writing and the like  (Read 2285 times)

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
Quick bits of writing and the like
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:07:19 am »

"Hera?"
   A distant cry echoed around the high walls of the temple, breaking the silence that had engulfed it not long beforehand. It bounced off the decaying limestone walls; it buried itself within the rubble that covered the floors; it decayed within the overgrown fronds of ivy that had crawled in through the windows. But, ultimately, it fell upon deaf ears - for there was no reply, nor any sign that a creature of any nature had heard it, for the interior remained as still as it had been before.
   "Hera!"
   The call repeated, more urgently this time. It was like the calls of a young, starved chick to it's mother - thin, and wailing.
   "It's no use, Baldr. She can't hear you."
   There was a quiet sigh in response.
   "I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone could have surviv-"
   "She isn't dead!" Baldr snapped, directing his fury at the other speaker. There was a sigh after a short pause. "She can't be dead."
   "You should be glad you're still alive. You were lucky to escape that rockfall with such minor injuries."
   Silence.
   "Doesn't mean I deserved it," Baldr grumbled, his voice barely audible across the temple. "Why does everyone else have to pay for my stupidity?"
   "Perhaps then you might learn a lesson?"
   "Are you calling me stupid?"
   "No, I'm just sa-"
   "Perhaps I am. Now look what I've done! Now we're trapped in this godforsaken temple with no food, no water..."
   "Baldr..."
   "...Not even a bloody campfire. Can't you see, Aesir? We're both going to die in here, and it's all my fault..."
   "Baldr!"
   "What!"
   "Get ahold of yourself, will you? Honestly, I've never heard someone moan so much in my entire life!"
   Baldr heaved a sigh and threw himself onto the marble tiles underfoot. "The gods hate me," he concluded.
   His companion shook his head, the kind of motion made by a man at his wit's end. "That rockfall was just a freak accident, Baldr. Nobody could have seen it coming."
   Baldr retreated from his companion's gaze, dropping his eyes towards his feet. Aesir never quite understood the way that bad things always happened to people around him, and it was only a matter of time before Baldr's bad luck caught up to him, too. Hera had been one of his childhood friends, as the two had grown up together, and now she was lying, probably dead, underneath the pile of rubble that was now keeping both of the would-be adventurers trapped within this ancient temple.
   And it was Aesir's stupid idea to come in here in the first place. It's not like such a ruin would have any treasure left, it would have been picked clean and left to the bears already.
   "...maybe if we use some of this rubble, we could..."
   Right now, bears were the least of Baldr's worries. What if the place was haunted? He'd heard a lot about the malevolent spirits of men, tortured by their continued presence here in the mortal plain and not in the aether where they rightfully belonged.
   "...and perhaps some of these plant stems are woody enough for firewood?..."
   Can't blame them for being insane, Baldr thought. i'd go insane, trapped in the same world as such incompetent fools as Aesir, people who are so blind as to the prospect of treasure and what not that they charge headlong into whatever disas-
   "Baldr?"
   "Hmm? What?" Baldr suddenly felt himself yanked back into reality.
   "Did you listen to a word of what I've just said?"
   "...No?"
   Aesir sighed. "You're impossible, you know that? I'm trying to organise some way we could get some warmth in here while we decide what to do next, and you're too busy brooding in your dark thoughts."
   Baldr glared at him. Heartless bastard.
   "The least you could do is pay attention."
   "Alright, fine," Baldr muttered, before adding, sarcastically: "At your service, master."
   Strange, that. These two were supposedly friends.

Hi, peeps. Lib here.
Don't know how many of you saw my little attempt at a fan-fic style write-up of one of my dwarf fortress games, which ended quickly after I managed to lose my save file  ::), but I've been into the prospect of writing for a living for a while now.
See, I'm only 16. Still got a long life ahead of me, and I don't intend to spend it cooped up in some office somewhere. I want a career with a bit more freedom, something flexible that I can adapt to and shape around my life, rather than having to shape my life around my work, know what I mean?
Anyway, getting to the point, I intend to try my best at becoming an author, but I'm probably going to need a bit of practice first. Sure, I've got a load of decent ideas and a whole universe to base a novel in buzzing around in my head, but I'm not that brilliantly well known. I've only recently picked up on my talent for creative writing, strangely enough. I guess I've never made the effort to sit down and write anything worthwhile in the past. So, my intention is to post up short stories and the like, and you guys tell me what you think of it? I won't use any of my novel ideas though, in all likelihood, as I don't particularly want anyone nicking them, heh. Sure you understand.
Not too much to ask... Right?
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Quick bits of writing and the like
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:32:02 pm »

I like the story this little piece seems to hint at. There are a few places where the execution isn't perfect, but that's what practice is for. I'm certainly looking forward to reading more.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

I've recently had an idea to start a Bay12 Writers' Guild thread, as too many writing threads drop off the front page into oblivion with too few replies, if any. A thread where writing of B12 forumites could be neatly collected with links and synopses, so maybe some people could reread a story they liked, get some advice, come with a new story onto a somewhat populated ground instead of dead air, etc.

So, I guess, I'll drop this suggestion here, in hope someone gets interested.

Good writing, Libelnon, can't really find anything to criticize. It kind of confuses me that some people can find themselves writing pretty well all out of the blue, while others (like me) struggle for years to produce something acceptable. Well, I guess that's the work of RNG.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:17:08 am »

I'd love a Writers' Guild thread. The people who do the pictures have one of their own, so why not us, too? :P

It was your idea, so I'll leave the implementation to you, unless you'd rather someone else do it. It seems like it might be worth it to do a directory-style first post; my own work is hosted elsewhere, and I know I've seen some ongoing stuff in other threads around here. The One True Thread style is great for one-offs, though, and if I had an outlet for those I'd probably do more of them.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:10:51 am »

I've recently had an idea to start a Bay12 Writers' Guild thread, as too many writing threads drop off the front page into oblivion with too few replies, if any. A thread where writing of B12 forumites could be neatly collected with links and synopses, so maybe some people could reread a story they liked, get some advice, come with a new story onto a somewhat populated ground instead of dead air, etc.

So, I guess, I'll drop this suggestion here, in hope someone gets interested.

Good writing, Libelnon, can't really find anything to criticize. It kind of confuses me that some people can find themselves writing pretty well all out of the blue, while others (like me) struggle for years to produce something acceptable. Well, I guess that's the work of RNG.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it ^^

And a writer's guild sticky sounds like a good idea to me. My suggestion would be to reserve a few spaces and post up the stories as spoilers, so people joining on the hundredth page or something don't end up having to traipse through thousands of pages to see al the stories.
Like so:

<heading text and introduction>
Author's username
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and so on.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't tend to name my stories XD

Anyway, as for progress, I've been a bit busy catching up on lost sleep of late, and haven't been writing at all. But if the whole writer's guild goes ahead, I'll move the contents of this thread over there.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »

Ok. So, it's decided on my part. Although I think I'll make the thread after I sleep tonight, so as to collect my thoughts.

Maybe it'll be better to have links to posts where the author has posted his story. And also links to threads where stories of note have been posted (to preserve them for posterity and attract more attention to them). But this will require a kind of synopsis or a logline next to the link. A nameless link or a spoiler containing the whole story isn't going to do much to draw people to read the story.

Also, Libelnon, making up some kind of name for your story is a good way to attract attention of a new reader to it or to help one returning to find it. Even if it's adagio in E minor, to take musical analogy.

Also also, I would really like not to start the thread empty, that is, with not just an introduction, but some story as a proof of concept. I'm not writing anything suitable currently. Libelnon, would you like to donate your story? And in any case, if you, guys, have got any ideas on that matter, bring them up.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »

Sure, i see no problems there.

And if anyone's interested, I've dug out one of my older works. Behold, my supposed DF fanfic! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56575.15

Sorry for still no update, but I just haven't been writing of late. No real excuse besides laziness. >.> <.<

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:21 am »

Made the thread here. Good?

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »

Made the thread here. Good?
Looks good to me.