Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 158471 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #495 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:05 am »

Is there any plan on when a linux version for DF0.31.03 will be available. I really like the improvements in that version but it kills my computer to run it in wine :(
Toady is working on that right now. You can follow the development at the main site for DF :)

KoFish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 14, 2010, 10:37:42 am »

Is there any plan on when a linux version for DF0.31.03 will be available. I really like the improvements in that version but it kills my computer to run it in wine :(
Toady is working on that right now. You can follow the development at the main site for DF :)

Oh, totally missed that last update. Thanks :)

Knofbath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:52 am »

So...

I don't mind hopping onto the bleeding edge every now and then, but can this branch get a stability update.

The merge seems to be going well, but I like knowing what is going to happen in combat, which I can't really say is true for 31.XX so far.

And d16 was the last one that I really felt comfortable playing extended games on.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »

Wow, necro!

This Fotf thread was the branch for adding graphics and has nothing to do with new features.  The newest builds already incorporate all the graphics changes this thread was about.

This branch is dead.  Toady is not going to be backporting all his combat code to this build.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Knofbath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »

Not asking for him to backport ANY of his combat code. I'd just like more polish on an older style of game, without save breaking.

Not saying that 40d was perfect, just familiar like a worn shoe.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2010, 03:57:12 pm »

It would be probably eight-ten hours of work to do it - at the least. Considering that I'd rather Toady work on the development branch.

You could ask him, I suppose; I'd be fine with it. I just don't think it's worth the effort on his side.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2010, 03:57:30 pm »

Not asking for him to backport ANY of his combat code. I'd just like more polish on an older style of game, without save breaking.

Not saying that 40d was perfect, just familiar like a worn shoe.

Generally speaking, when someone releases a new version of a program, it is becuase they consider it to be an improvement over the old version, and as such, all that polish tends to go to the new version, or the time that would otherwise be spent in polishing would go towards making a newer version than that.

If you want to play 40d16 until the kinks get ironed out of the new version, then by all means, go ahead.  Still, it's a little bizzare to ask for coming out with a newer, more stable version of an older, obsolete version of a game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]