Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf merchant claims to be from mountainhomes  (Read 2571 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Elf merchant claims to be from mountainhomes
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:45:19 am »

After starting to use the 3112 version, the first elf merchant who came said that hes from mountainhomes before starting to whine about my massive woodcutting. After that he said the "our fortunes rise and fall together" thing.
Is this a bug? Or was he really from the mountainhomes and my king is now worried about trees?

EDIT: my fighters were caught in rain and now my entrance is full of blood from all enemies theyve killed, some of those were 2 years ago. Does cleaning job cleaning job work? Is  "water turns to blood" bug going to be fixed anytime soon?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:47:32 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Elf merchant claims to be from mountainhomes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:15 am »

It's certainly a bug, with minimal (so far) gameplay effect, so it's all good.

Expect the filthy bastard to lie, anyway.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:44 am »

Actually, this isn't REALLY a bug. I call this a feature.

Check legends, I bet you'll find that the settlement this elf came from/was born in (or his ancestors were born in) was conquered in a Dwarf v. Elf war at some point, and thus everyone born in it counts as "From the Dwarf Civ" now. Thus, you have an elf willing to cut down trees, wear and use objects that were made by killing trees, etc.etc. Because he was raised in a Dwarf Civ.

Basically, he's an infinitely less bad ass version of Cacame (see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade )

edit: Right now, this feature isn't fully implemented (though we're getting there), because you can only get Dwarf migrants, migrants from other races' settlements that were conquered by your civ won't ever appear, except as ranks that are assigned in Legends before the game ever even really begins, such as liason, King, etc.etc.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:17:17 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:43:52 am »

Actually, this isn't REALLY a bug. I call this a feature.

Check legends, I bet you'll find that the settlement this elf came from/was born in (or his ancestors were born in) was conquered in a Dwarf v. Elf war at some point, and thus everyone born in it counts as "From the Dwarf Civ" now. Thus, you have an elf willing to cut down trees, wear and use objects that were made by killing trees, etc.etc. Because he was raised in a Dwarf Civ.

Basically, he's an infinitely less bad ass version of Cacame (see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade )

edit: Right now, this feature isn't fully implemented (though we're getting there), because you can only get Dwarf migrants, migrants from other races' settlements that were conquered by your civ won't ever appear, except as ranks that are assigned in Legends before the game ever even really begins, such as liason, King, etc.etc.

Yeah, but he is not willing to cut down trees. In fact, as I said in my post, he whined about me cutting trees and demanded me to cut no more than 132 trees this year. He's definately elffy, and represents elfs, but says hes from mountainhomes.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:06 am »

I have noticed this as well. Except with human traders, and i mean the human caravan. A human liason claims to be from the mountain homes, then bails. The traders trade as normal. As a side note i actually did get an Elven liason from the mountainhomes but it actually IS from the mountainhomes. How an elf became the liason between dwarven settlements ill never know....
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:54 am »

According to Toady, the trade liaisons from the elves and humans are using the outpost liaison script instead of the trade liaison script.  This is a bug in the latest release, and will be fixed.  Other than claiming to be from the mountainhome, they should work normally as trade liaisons.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:07:34 am »

Hell i almost never got liasons from other civs anyway.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:10:14 am »

In 31.12, the bug that caused liaisons to never be replaced has been fixed.  You should start seeing trade liaisons from every civilization you trade with now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:00:59 am »

No i mean i never actually had any liasons except the dwarves. No liasons died, they just never existed. Unless they where ment to have died elsewhere?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:42 am »

I never got any of the Elven or Human diplomats before this x of 31.x, either (x=12).  I'm betting that no one did, since the conversation is bugged and no one has mentioned seeing that before this version.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »

I had them show up as humans, but I figured it was because they were my peeps. :B
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

In 31.12, the bug that caused liaisons to never be replaced has been fixed.  You should start seeing trade liaisons from every civilization you trade with now.
Even globins?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »

Back in earlier versions the humans would send liaisons (merchant princes/princesses if I recall) as well as the dwarves. And after a few years the elves would also send a liason.  But unlike the others that one would only bitch about treecutting and make short jokes.  You couldn't actually order items from him like the others.

But apperantly that has been buggy ever since DF2010 came out and only the home civ would send a liaison.  The liaison replacement fix appears to have fixed them as well.  Although they are using the wrong text.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:27:10 am »

Even globins?

I would *LOVE* to have a goblin ambassador show up.  Perhaps discuss the terms of the next siege and the particulars of the body counts.  Maybe even arrange a few kidnappings of the useless noble larvae.  And once the negotiations are complete, since This. Is. Dwarf Fortress., I would kick him into a well.

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:52:19 am »

Even better, trading with goblins could yield wonderful mechanics like being able to buy caged dwarves since goblins capture dwarves. It would be a nice addition to the completely random migrant thing.

It would be a great perk to totally trouncing a wave of goblins with very few or no dead dwarves. A liason shows up, asks for peace and establishes trade.
Pages: [1] 2