Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104340 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:02 am »

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I just finished watching the 10 current episodes of this rebooted Sabrina the Teenage Witch. The first couple episodes have some pacing issues, with long segments where nothing interesting happens. Then in the middle there are a few mostly filler episodes. Things really pick up towards the end though. Overall, they took relatively shallow source material and gave all of the characters depth, added more supplemental characters, and gave them a major antagonist to keep things interesting. There's just enough blood and satanic worship to give the show some edge without going overboard. I enjoyed watching, and am looking forward to the second season which has already begun filming.
I am however somewhat disappointed that Salem never talks after he is first introduced.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2018, 02:35:51 pm »

Episode 4 of Titans finally give Beast Boy a backstory, and it's pretty good. I was not previously familiar with the Doom Patrol, but from the comments I've read it seems they were done justice.
I still hate Starfire.

Outlander Season 4 has started. It was a strong season premiere. Claire and Jamie just can't stay out of trouble...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:13 am »

Okay, season five of BoJack was off to a bit of a shaky start, but now at episode four it seems to have really hit its stride.
I've noticed myself cackling fairly regularly throughout. Generally a good sign!   

Edit: okay, I have sampled two new animated shows that were featured prominently on Netflix: Paradise PD and Final Space.
The former was pretty much entirely garbage, just crude humour and really forced jokes. A little bit like Mister Pickles in tone, but less surreal and without the satisfying amounts of gore or any of the charm. I imagine it would be amusing enough whilst really stoned, but otherwise it's not really worth sitting through all the stupid for the occasional funny moment.

Final Space, though, is actually wonderful. Didn't know what to make of it at first, one of the main characters could definitely be a bit grating and hyperactive, but it grew on me really quickly. It gives me some serious Ratchet and Clank vibes, with bizarre aliens, heaps of robots getting blown away in shootouts, high-tech gadgets a-plenty and of course a lot of comedy.
It's kind of like a slightly more grown-up Ratchet and Clank, really, but without trying to be adult and winding up lame and edgy.
It's a tonne of fun. I recommend it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:45:28 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2018, 02:37:20 pm »

I noticed on Thanksgiving that the reboot of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 finally arrived!
Then, after some cursory research, I realized that the rebooted MST3K actually arrived last year and I completely missed it. What arrived a few days ago was the second season of the reboot. So now I have some catching up to do.
I'm a couple of episodes in so far, and it's pretty much exactly what I expected; terrible movies somehow made bearable and even enjoyable thanks to witty commentary.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2018, 02:46:00 pm »

Travelers season 3 just arrived!
Now on Netflix, the entire season appeared all at once, so I'm looking forward to binging~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2018, 03:00:04 pm »

I should really cave and watch Mystery Science Theatre 3000 sometime, though I'm always turned off by the idea of watching someone else watch hilaribad movies rather than watching them myself with friends, which is already hysterically fun. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2018, 03:42:11 pm »

Why don't you watch it with some friends? Then you can have both.

Also, I'd strongly recommend the Final Sacrifice episode. In my opinion, it's the best of the series.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2018, 06:38:40 am »

Just finished season 2 of Patriot.  It was pretty good.  Maybe even double great.

Before that, apparently taking a page from Folly's book, I binged season 3 of Travelers.  I'm not sure how I feel about the ending (David & Marcy >:() - seems like the ending of a show that thinks it probably isn't getting another season.

simpleyuji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »

Watching Terrace House on Netflix. Its basically Japan's version of the reality tv show big brother. No obnoxious personalities, no sex, no crazy dramas and intense shouting. Basically, the opposite of what you would expect from the western reality tv. It find it to be really good because of how fresh the interactions are and just learning about how japanese people deal with every day issues like dating, friendship, and life goals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #219 on: December 25, 2018, 07:56:43 am »

Watching Terrace House on Netflix. Its basically Japan's version of the reality tv show big brother. No obnoxious personalities, no sex, no crazy dramas and intense shouting. Basically, the opposite of what you would expect from the western reality tv. It find it to be really good because of how fresh the interactions are and just learning about how japanese people deal with every day issues like dating, friendship, and life goals.
Absolutely wholesome

In the UK the reality TV shows tend to fall into the category you listed or else just involve stressing out a room of trapped E-list celebrities until they start abusing one another

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2018, 10:13:20 pm »

I also just finished Travelers Season 3.

If this is the finale, I consider it a satisfying conclusion to a good final season. They left an opening for the show to continue, but all of the previous arcs were given conclusions in one form or another. And the season had several big exciting twists, which made it a fun ride to the very end.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2018, 06:03:24 am »

I definitely enjoyed the season (& show) overall, I'm just a bit wary of a 'reset' type ending if it's going to continue for a 4th season.  I suppose it's worked out ok in other shows though.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2019, 11:05:00 pm »

Just watched Star Trek: Discovery S2E1

It's... better. I am hopeful that this season is going to have a better trajectory than the last (though the last did have a few nice moments).

Also relevantly, I started watching Deep Space 9 and I can immediately see why it's awesome--also it's nice to see a captain who is an actual human, dad, and does not have an "I am starfleet" attitude. Sisko is lit. The rest of the cast is also great.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2019, 02:20:31 am »

Just finished Future Man season 2.

This is honestly one of the best plots I've seen in a show that is also genuinely funny. Season 2 was more focused compared to Season 1, with less time travel shenanigans. Several surprising twists too.
They left the door open for a Season 3, but resolved the main story arc from Season 2. So I'm very much hoping for a renewal, but if it doesn't happen that's okay too.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2019, 04:19:47 am »

Shit, season 2 is out already? I'm missing so much stuff these days.

Speaking of missing stuff, True Detective season 3 started last week, only caught it last night. Pretty good, tho it feels a bit like they're apologizing for the second season and going "See guys, it's got supernatural spoopy shit and a wierd detective with issues". Which could be considered the schtik of the show but what the fuck was season 2 then?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 67