Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104568 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2019, 07:06:25 am »

So I finally caught up and binged the second season of GLOW. I'd say it's as good as the first season but for other reasons. It isn't as focused as before (think it's mainly because the first one is kind of the origin story so the big clear endgoal is getting the show off the ground, now that that's gone different and not as clear issues pop up) but some of the meandering nicely fills up some side character storylines. Think it could've used an episode or two extra in certain places but it's pretty good as is.

Also watching Allison Brie haming it the fuck up and chewing the scenery with her russian accent (while clearly enjoying the shit out of it) never gets old :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2019, 10:53:15 am »

I've been watching Titans on netflix, mostly because I want to watch Doom Patrol and my roommate won't watch it until after we've seen Titans. 

Its weird watching because I kinda hate what they've done to all the characters and they keep trying to pump the edge up to 11, but at the same time each episode has had some pretty cool superhero stuff like Hawk & Dove, doom patrol and other superheroes/characters I enjoy. 

If I pretend Robin isn't Robin and Starfire isn't Starfire its not too bad so far.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:20 am »

Finished True Detective S3.

Season 3 was good. The characters were interesting. However it fell short of S1 because, honestly, the majority of S3 was about people rather than the crime. It's more an exploration of a character through time, and how the case affected his life and his mind.

Which was good because the actors were good. But I did get the feeling, somewhere in the middle of the season, that it was kind of wasting my time and stretching things out so they could have X episodes. The big reveal felt like kind of an anti-climax:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think TD knows how to play its fans. They set up all this weird shit knowing fans will read in to it, and then at least in this season come up with a fairly normal explanation for it all.

It was effective but if they do this again for another season, I may check out. There didn't feel like much of a pay off in S3, but again, it was very much a character-focused narrative and so the character arc was way more important to the show than the nuts and bolts of the crime.

Whatever though, it was a more enjoyable watch than S2 by leaps and bounds.

I suppose I'd rank all the seasons this way: S1, S3, S2.  S1 still wins because it had the right blend of: characters you find interesting and care about, a mysterious crime and a surreal edge that kept you guessing exactly what you were dealing with.

It might also be an issue than neither S2 or S3 really have an antagonist. In S1 you see some things from the perspective of the antagonist and that kept you at least somewhat rooted in the actual murder mystery. That's absent in S2 and S3, which really puts all your focus on the detectives and they have to carry water for the whole show. I know the whole gist of the series is that each season is supposed to be different from the others....but so far nothing has been as effective as their first run at it.

I'll be interested to see what they try next.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:38 am »

Just finished binging the first season of Deadly Class.

Some interesting plot twists in there, but also a lot of predictable and cliche dreck. Every character has a tragic backstory that should have hardened them against the harsh realities of life, and yet they're all giant pussies who are afraid to kill anyone, despite attending a secret school for assassins. This one would be difficult for me to recommend, especially with a poorly-done cliffhanger and no promise of a season 2.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2019, 02:50:31 pm »

I just caught up to current on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and moved on to The Mick. I made a good choice. Kaitlin Olson is great, and so are the other stars (except maybe Chip, who is a bit one-dimensional).

Also, catching up on The Expanse. Trying to avoid reading spoilers, which is difficult.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2019, 02:43:07 pm »

Just finished season 2 of The OA. 

The first season was a bit odd - I spent the first couple episodes just wondering what kind of show I was watching.  While it did get a little embarrassingly earnest with the whole new age spirituality and the power of interpretive dance thing at times (especially that final episode), overall I enjoyed it and thought it was very well done.

Second season abandons any (relative) restraint or ambiguity about the sci-fi/supernatural elements and just goes all out bananas.  I loved it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2019, 01:29:45 pm »

The Tick and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina each just got their entire second seasons. I'm planning to binge each in that order.

Also, Cloak and Dagger season 2 started airing weekly episodes last night.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2019, 01:31:10 pm »

Oh dang!  I didn't realize it was time for more Tick.  I loved the first season.  :D

Too bad I need to burn through Doom Patrol first, which has also been pretty fun.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:01 pm »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2019, 04:43:03 am »

Swedish/Danish crime series called "The Bridge" (Broen). Some fun supergenius serial murderer stuff in the first season, second season is about an ecoterrorist cell, but more importantly the show is about how the officers heading the investigation interact with each other. Specifically it's about how the female lead interacts with anyone and anything, because she's a fucking brilliant character and the actress does a fantastic job of portraying her.

The character isn't particularly well socially adjusted, and I'd have to hazard as most likely being on the spectrum somewhere. This lends itself to a great deal of unintentional sass as she either awkwardly fumbles due to being extremely uncomfortable in social settings, or she just bulldozes straight through with zero awareness of the unspoken rules and norms.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2019, 07:52:28 am »

I hate it
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:26 am »

Just finished binging the new third season of Santa Clarita Diet. Damn, this show fills me with so much love.
It's honestly like a high. A television high. Probably the two greatest television (or motion picture in general) couples right there. The whole cast has phenomenal chemistry. Highly recommended, it's gotta be one of my favourite shows!   
That was wonderful. A new season next year is all but confirmed, too. Maybe I'll just re-watch the whole dang thing.
Or maybe I should see if there's a new season of Final Space out yet...

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2019, 10:31:33 pm »

Finished The Tick and Sabrina, second seasons.

The Tick was somewhat disappointing. Most of the season was focused on a very minor villain. The secondary story arc served only to set up the story for the next season, and even that wasn't terribly compelling.
I'm still a fan of this show, but they really need to up their game if they get renewed for more.

Sabrina was pretty much the polar opposite. Nonstop plot twists and major story advancement from beginning to end. Early on it started to seem like they were going to way of Supergirl with heavyhanded SJW propaganda...but then they ended up striking a healthy balance, touching on transgender strife and misogyny woes just long enough to make their point and then moving on to the battle between Sabrina and the Dark Lord. Season 2 was a major step up from Season 1, which was itself quite decent.
I'm reading that this show has already been renewed for a third and fourth season, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:16 pm »

Just finished watching Netflix's Maniac.
It was fascinating. What a ride. I'm not sure if I understood it fully but it certainly made me feel things. A variety of them.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2019, 12:14:10 am »

I just finished watching The Magicians season 4 finale.

Very strong season, for a great show. There was drama, there was action, there were unexpected twists, and of course lots of complex hand gestures.

The ending felt like a perfect series finale. Then I found out that Season 5 has already been approved. I'm somewhat skeptical of how they will continue after the events of this finale...but hopefully it will work out and continue to be an amazing show.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 67