Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104285 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2019, 09:41:38 pm »

Bojack Horseman. "Narcissus? I though the painting was about me."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:21 pm »

The Mandalorian
Feels more like a video game than a show. Guy goes on quest, gets reward, uses reward to upgrade gear, repeat. Some nice Star Wars lore though, learning about those jetpack mercenaries and where they come and what they believe in. Also kawaii yodachan.

The Watchmen
This show kind of annoys me. The first few episodes were full of so much random nonsense that it was impossible to follow what was going on. Then the next few episodes were dedicated solely to revealing the backstory of one character each, which was interested but also felt like a distraction when I wanted to see the main story move forward. It's definitely an interesting world and set of characters, but the pacing is rough.

His Dark Materials
First episode feels almost identical to the start of The Golden Compass movie, but after that it diverges enough to feel suitably original. Talking animals, dramatic child abuse, magical mysteries, creative worldbuilding, and they're all executed very well. Of the several interesting shows I'm watching right now, I think this is the one I'm most invested in.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2019, 09:34:10 am »

The Expanse

I just found out that after getting cancelled by SyFy last year, this show was saved by Amazon and Season 4 is coming next week, with Season 5 later!
The Expanse had a slow first two seasons, with too much filler and slow pacing even when the main arc was addressed. However. things really picked up in a solid third season, and I'm eager to see what comes next!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2019, 10:23:20 am »

The Expanse

I just found out that after getting cancelled by SyFy last year

Wait, what?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:52 am »

The Expanse
I just found out that after getting cancelled by SyFy last year
Wait, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
On May 11, 2018, Syfy did not purchase the rights for future seasons because of restrictive distribution arrangements, and announced it was cancelled. Alcon looked for other channels to distribute future seasons.

Fans protested the cancellation, gathering over 100,000 signatures for an online petition. They lobbied Amazon Studios and Netflix to pick the series up; a crowdfunding campaign paid for an airplane to fly a "#SaveTheExpanse" banner around Amazon Studios. Celebrities including Wil Wheaton, George R. R. Martin, Patton Oswalt and Andreas Mogensen supported the campaign.

On May 26, at the International Space Development Conference, Jeff Bezos announced that Amazon picked the series up for additional seasons. Production on the fourth season began in October 2018 and is scheduled to debut on Amazon Prime Video on December 13, 2019.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »

The Expanse

I just found out that after getting cancelled by SyFy last year, this show was saved by Amazon and Season 4 is coming next week, with Season 5 later!
The Expanse had a slow first two seasons, with too much filler and slow pacing even when the main arc was addressed. However. things really picked up in a solid third season, and I'm eager to see what comes next!

I've only seen the first two seasons so far and I really like them. The setting is probably it's strongest point but I was really impressed with their attention to details (metal beams getting red hot from the exhaust gases of a departing spaceship, bullets that have lost most of their speed after impact but still keep moving while in zero gravity).
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2019, 12:36:35 pm »

I have no idea how I missed Expanse being cancelled. I don't spend a lot of effort to watch TV, but it's a show I liked. Probably because book-readers love spoiling shit in any discussion tangentially-related to the Expanse, so I quit reading about it.

Edit: And the reason I came to post is that all of the talk about Pablo Escobar's brother reminded me of the best part of the TV show Narcos. Every episode of Narcos opens with the disclaimer "Any similarity to the name, character or history of any person is entirely coincidental and unintentional." And then proceeds to tell the story of entirely fictional people who didn't exist like Ronald Reagan, Pablo Escobar, and Manuel Noriega.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:46:42 pm by Iduno »

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 07, 2019, 10:52:23 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:51:52 am by catacombs »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 08, 2019, 10:17:37 pm »

After years of foreshadowing, DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths is finally here.

The first episode on this week-long event aired tonight, and...ugh. The real crisis here is all of the plot holes. I don't think a single scene in this entire episode was structurally sound.
Of course, I've long since given up on watching half of the shows in this continuity, so I may have just failed to understand some of the plot due to missing parts of the story. But I'm still pretty sure that most of it just made no sense at all.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2019, 02:03:37 pm »

I've been binge watching Grimm in the last few weeks. I like it well enough

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2019, 02:07:03 pm »

I mean, WTF.
Was the erstwhile antagonist better endowed in whatever secondary sexual characteristics are relevant?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2019, 02:40:41 pm »

Mostly equivalent in different ways. Think Betty and Veronica, with them switching roles over at a couple of points
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:44:53 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:33 am »

After bingeing various other Zombie Orpheus Entertainment creations, I have now started on JourneyQuest.
I probably won't be getting much of anything else done for a while. This is positively Glorions.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 16, 2019, 11:29:05 am »

What if the Simpsons had made the Hank Scorpio episode (You only move twice) a full season like Archer does instead of one episode?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 16, 2019, 10:42:41 pm »

The Watchmen ended.

I'm still not a fan of the pacing...but otherwise, it was a really good conclusion to the previous Watchmen shenanigans.
Season 2 may or may not happen. On the one hand, this was just a really interesting story, and I'd love to see more of the same. On the other hand, this season kind of wrapped everything up and there's no need for more. I guess either way, I'm happy.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67