Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 103389 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #405 on: December 30, 2019, 01:47:14 am »

They've remade Lost in Space? The one I've always wanted them to remake is Land of the Giants. However what they should have done in the original version is have the twist that the land of the giants planet is really Earth.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 30, 2019, 03:01:23 pm »

As long as the year is ending, what TV shows did you just give up on without finishing this year?

I quit watching Supernatural in season...7 or 8? when it was just angels fighting constantly, and maybe one of the brothers was different, and I just wanted a damn monster of the week.
I started Wynnona Earp and got to early in the second season where they decided to change the plot to a weird conspiracy thing and make everything too big for the characters.
I was watching PeeWee's Playhouse to relax (although it seems more oriented to adults than children), but I no longer have Netflix.
I also can't watch It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia this season, because I can't find what channel they've hidden it on in my area.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:36:44 pm by Iduno »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2019, 03:39:49 pm »

I got a bit weary on the last episode of Grimm. I'll probably finish it at some point...

Arrow... I honestly liked the first two seasons, and liked somewhat the third one. Beyond that I got bored. I might skip to the end of season 4 and move onto season 5, which I heard recovers a bit of the previous pacing.

And in "not quite quit": I really really want to watch Rebellion, which looks quite good, but I've been in a low mood and I can't really deal with historical drama at this point.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2019, 04:19:34 pm »

Series I gave up on this year...The Walking Dead, Titans, Punisher, Jessica Jones, Vikings, Bosch, Mr Robot, Black Lightning, Supergirl...and surely a few others I'm forgetting.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 31, 2019, 05:16:43 am »

I also gave up on The Walking Dead, the whole cast is an unlike able bunch of assholes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 31, 2019, 07:00:26 am »

I gave up on the walking dead when they spent a whole season in a farm
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 31, 2019, 07:31:25 am »

I got to the season where they lived in the prison before giving up on it, because after that it seemed like it was just going to be the same thing over and over again.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 01, 2020, 07:54:14 pm »

I caved in and started on the Witcher. Man, it's kinda bad (so far).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 01, 2020, 10:22:49 pm »

The Walking Dead TV show was so bad. I had friends who were into it and I could never understand why.
The comics were good for a while, at least.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 01, 2020, 11:29:26 pm »

New season of Doctor Who has begun.
First episode basically had three aspects. First there was a James Bond imitation thing, which was extremely cringe. Then some extra-dimensional light monsters who want to kill us all just because they're dicks, which is about as good as could reasonably be expected from a show with this many seasons trying to come up with new aliens. Then the twist ending, which was a satisfying return to what once made this show good.
Overall, I'm optimistic that this season may be marginally better than the last.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2020, 07:12:42 pm »

Manifest is coming back on soon.

*laughter*

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 04, 2020, 05:57:08 pm »

I finished watching The Witcher, season 1.
Went in largely blind, having never read the literature and only played half of the first game.

Firstly, the chronology issue. I've read a fair amount of feedback on this and the only people I've seen defending it do so on artistic grounds...which is always fair, I guess. Apparently there are some people who appreciate their TV shows being presented in completely random chronological order and with only subtle conversational cues to indicate when any episode is happening. I, however, am not one of those people.

Second, the destiny thing. I can appreciate Destiny being used as an excuse for occasional coincidences. The idea that some greater force is subtly guiding individuals where they need to go so they will have an opportunity to do something meaningful eventually is somewhat romantic in a sense. However, in this show 'Destiny' is literally puppeting people, forcing them to go places and do things and feel things with absolutely no personal motive, just an invisible force controlling them. This is just about the least satisfying plot device I can imagine.

Lastly, Witcher does not do a lot to set itself apart from every other medieval fantasy. There is some decent fan service, and the over-zealous witch society can be interesting at times, but pretty much everything else done here has been seen too many times before.

Overall I'd rate this show 'watchable', but can't be much kinder than that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2020, 07:41:09 pm »

Firstly, the chronology issue. I've read a fair amount of feedback on this and the only people I've seen defending it do so on artistic grounds...which is always fair, I guess. Apparently there are some people who appreciate their TV shows being presented in completely random chronological order and with only subtle conversational cues to indicate when any episode is happening. I, however, am not one of those people.
IMO it's way too unexplained... you probably got the fact that things are happening in different times at some point, maybe episode 2 or 3. You probably didn't realize that there are usually three to four timelines going on in each episode, sometimes with 80+ years of difference (eg: all that shit about Yennefer's training? She is supposed to be pushing a hundred. All that stuff about her training happened waay before pretty much anything else in the series).

I think they made a sloppy job with the timelines. I think they should have made those in the context of an episode focused in whichever character it was, make it clear that it's a flashback, and make it clear about the dates, probably.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2020, 09:00:18 pm »

The Witcher's chronology sucks, but IMO the practical effects, sets, and Mr. Cavill are ballin'. Also enjoy most of the actors/characters--Moussack being a personal fav.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2020, 09:38:40 pm »

Yeah, the show's a mess.

The timelines thing seems like an attempt at creating that nice Westworld epiphany, only a mostly failed one.

The dialogue and soliloquies are often taken verbatim from the books, but this style of writing doesn't translate well to the screen.

The CGI is hit-and-miss, the combat choreography often doesn't make sense, the rules of magic feel ad hoc and illogical.
The acting is not good enough to sell it all despite the flaws.

That is not to say the show doesn't have its moments. But it's terribly uneven, and even at its best it ain't terrific.

Overall it felt like an upgraded version of the old Polish adaptation. And that's not a good thing to be.

And boy, if I hear 'destiny' one more time I'm going to vomit (I'm looking at you, ep.4).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67