Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104537 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #495 on: April 03, 2020, 02:37:40 pm »

Put on Bojack Horseman for the first real time. I'm interested in the more serious episodes, but kind of lose interest in the goofy ones. The humor is like just on the line for me - sometimes hits but misses just as much.
I don't remember any of the goofy ones, so they must have all been early.

All the goofy ones were early? Like, half of Season 5 was about a robot programmed for sexual harassment who somehow becomes the CEO of a major corporation.

RIP Henry Fondle.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 03, 2020, 02:39:37 pm »

Dammit Todd!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:42 am »

Just finished watching first season of Pennyworth, an origin story for Batman's butler.

It was okay. There were comically ridiculous villains, action-filled escapades, and violent cults turning the city inside-out amidst their struggle for power.
But ultimately it just felt like Batman-lite. No secret identity, no bat-gadgets, nothing to really help the show stand out.

Apparently it's been renewed, but I honestly don't know if I'll be watching more. Depends what else is on, I guess.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 26, 2020, 12:32:14 am »

Just watched the first episode of Giri/Haji.
I've seen enough to say with reasonable certainty that I dig it. Then again, sometimes shows have a great first episode and then go to pieces - but I doubt that will be the case here. Lots of style whilst staying grounded in realism, lashings of dry humour... can't go wrong, really. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go play some pachinko uh, I mean, watch another episode.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2020, 12:31:56 pm »

I just watched the fourth episode of the third season of Community for the first time.
Not only have I finally seen the source of that classic gif - pretty much the only bit of the show I was familiar with beforehand - but that was an insanely good episode overall. I had been having doubts about the third season so far, but that episode filled me with glee.   

Oddly enough it was my mother who started watching this show. For some reason I always expected it to be utter crap, only to watch bits here and there and be forced to grudgingly admit that it is actually good, despite my stubborn attempts to dislike it anyway. It's Arrested Development all over again.
I think the shittiness (and inexplicable popularity) of Parks and Rec has made me automatically suspicious of all US ensemble cast sitcoms. Weird.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2020, 01:31:59 pm »

I just watched the fourth episode of the third season of Community for the first time.
Not only have I finally seen the source of that classic gif - pretty much the only bit of the show I was familiar with beforehand - but that was an insanely good episode overall. I had been having doubts about the third season so far, but that episode filled me with glee.   

Oddly enough it was my mother who started watching this show. For some reason I always expected it to be utter crap, only to watch bits here and there and be forced to grudgingly admit that it is actually good, despite my stubborn attempts to dislike it anyway. It's Arrested Development all over again.
I think the shittiness (and inexplicable popularity) of Parks and Rec has made me automatically suspicious of all US ensemble cast sitcoms. Weird.   

Well, third season, huh? Sounds like you're done with Community forever then.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2020, 04:41:48 am »

I'm not sure what that means and I don't want to know.   

In other TV news, I just finished Giri/Haji! A fitting ending to a rather excellent show. There's probably only really one thing I kinda disliked about it and it is incredibly minor in the overall scheme of things. Oh, and said thing wasn't in the last episode - better clarify that before anyone thinks I'm knocking the finale.   
Not sure if the last episode was longer than the others, but they really fit a lot in.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:10 am »

Life on Mars
1973, what a year.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2020, 05:09:47 am »

I remember Life on Mars. It was a good show.

Right now I'm watching season two of My Brilliant Friend. It's still great. Watch it.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2020, 05:42:30 am »

Y'know I was almost gonna put this in the Random Thoughts thread, but I think I just had an at least semi-genius idea.   
I haven't seen the final episodes of BoJack Horseman yet and I don't know how many of you have, so no spoilers, but I was thinking, if they decided to do a movie of it at some point it would be pretty awesome and/or meta if they made it, get this: a feature-length, in-universe film starring BoJack.

Obviously, as much as most of the films/shows/anything BoJack worked on throughout the series ended up being pretty ridiculous, that would likely only be funny for a short while. That's when the next part of the idea struck: in-character bonus features!   
Cast and crew commentary from BoJack and co, as well as outtakes and trailers and bloopers and bla bla bla all that shite I rarely if ever bother to so much as look at when it's included on a DVD or Blu-Ray. Think about it! I reckon they could do a lot with that.
Should I, like, pitch this to someone?   

Anyway, I'm going to get back to watching Community - I'm currently watching it from the start, since I saw just the first few episodes before bowing out and not really watching any more until I re-joined when my mother was well into the second season and I realised hey, maybe this show is worth my time after all.   
I'm afraid to say my like of this show has reached the point where I don't know how I will cope when it ends and I've watched all of it. I'm feeling traumatised already. Don't worry overmuch, though, I often get this way with shows, books, films etcetera that I really, really like, and I've survived all such experiences so far.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:44:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:43 am »

It's a god-awful small affair?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 08, 2020, 05:20:09 am »

I am up to the final episode of Community.
They are apparently doing a live charity read on Sunday of an episode. Although I think it is one from Season 4 (so they could have everyone except Chevy Chase).
Oh, sweet! Moving the discussion here since I would rather not spray my enthusiasm all over the Sad thread.   
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to 'attend' this. It's also kind of exciting to have so much of the cast back together - I know I'm new to this and therefore probably not as jaded as I should be, but who knows, maybe this could mean they'd all be on-board for a movie as well?
Apparently Donald Glover hadn't had anything to do with the show for a long time.   

The final episode actually turned to be really, really well done, in any case.   
It pretty much hit all the notes it needed to and brought things home just right. Perfect mix of the show's main elements, tugging on the heartstrings MY EMOTIONS, giving a satisfying amount of closure while also letting one imagine what might come next, and of course having plenty of the usual humour from what's left of the cast. Also, I recognised Justin Roiland's voice right away which was kind of a trip.
All in all, it was very bittersweet.   

Did not expect the finale to be anywhere near that good. Really softened the blow and let me down gently, y'know?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 08, 2020, 06:41:03 pm »

Yeah it is short. However keep in mind that there are two versions, a UK original and a US remake. So if you mean god-awful in terms of quality rather than "god awfully short" which version are you referring to?

The UK original went 16 episodes, but did come to a fairly concrete conclusion (as far as the main character is concerned). However the story continues in the follow up show Ashes to Ashes which runs for 24 episodes. Ashes to Ashes really does finalize any remaining questions for both seasons, so I'd recommend it to people who've seen the first one. So the UK version technically has 40 episodes (though each part features a different main character and time period).

The American version went 17 episodes, and probably doesn't come to any sort conclusion since I heard it wasn't picked up for a second season. So yes that one is short, and is probably actually god awful.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:01:36 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 08, 2020, 06:59:49 pm »

Yeah it is short. However keep in mind that there are two versions, a UK original and a US remake. So if you mean god-awful in terms of quality rather than "god awfully short" which version are you referring to?

The UK original went 16 episodes, but did come to a fairly concrete conclusion (as far as the main character is concerned). However the story continues in the follow up show Ashes to Ashes which runs for 24 episodes. Ashes to Ashes really does finalize any remaining questions for both seasons, so I'd recommend it to people who've seen the first one. So the UK version technically has 40 episodes (though each part features a different main character and time period).

The American version went 17 episodes, and probably doesn't come to any sort conclusion since I heard it wasn't picked up for a second season. So yes that one is short, and is probably actually god awful.
Two versions? There are at least SIX versions
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 08, 2020, 07:02:20 pm »

Quote from: me
<life on mars etc>
Two versions? There are at least SIX versions

Yeah, but those aren't all titled identically so an English-speaking audience isn't likely to get those mixed up. Nobody is likely to go "oh I thought you meant the Czech version: Svět pod hlavou". So yes it's technically correct that there are more spin-off shows, however the main need for clarification of discussion is between the UK vs US identically-titled versions. So I have no idea which of those two versions Iduno was referring to but I can be sure it wasn't Svět pod hlavou.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:07:55 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 67