Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104553 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #510 on: May 08, 2020, 07:02:56 pm »

Sounds like you're hooked to the silver screen.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 08, 2020, 11:34:32 pm »

I have begun watching Person of Interest. My opinion was "kind of interesting, but meh" (despite Ben Linus Michael Emerson's presence.) And then I watched S1E9 ("Get Carter") and for some reason this changed at the moment I watched Detective Carter stare down an approaching car. (It might also have to do with the fact that this episode appears to be where bits of overarching plot/intrigue start being woven in.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2020, 07:52:54 am »

I watched some episodes of early PoI and it seemed boring, so I dropped it.

Then eventually I watched some sparsely separated later episodes as the show went on and they all felt like episodes of a series that might have been interesting if I had followed it up to that point so I had any actual idea of what the duck was going on and who these people were
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 11, 2020, 04:33:20 am »

I'm watching Glow, since I gave it a look after reading somewhere that it stars one of the main actors from Community.   
I'd never given it a second glance before, but a quick read of a synopsis revealed it was decidedly not what I thought - and, after having watched a few episodes, it's actually pretty great in a rather unusual way.
Very slow-paced but still funny, laugh-out-loud funny at times, as well as being very solidly set in the '80s to the point that I feel like describing it as a period piece. Also it has plenty of drama and, you know, meaningful shit. Also a fascinating glimpse at pro wrestling history.   

Right now I had to pause it because something ridiculous is about to happen, well, ridiculous in a believable way... you know that feeling in shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, where something so embarrassing goes down that you can barely bear to watch, even as funny as it is? Yeah I reckon this is gonna be like that. Might have to cover my eyes and peek through my fingers.

Edit: just finished the first season. It was great. That is all.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:55:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2020, 04:42:56 am »

Okay, I just finished the second season of GLOW and it has officially made me cry.   

Edit: this show just keeps getting better. I'm glad to see that there is another season planned!
Not that I've finished the current ones, mind you. Just watched episode six of the third season. Gonna try to pace myself and not jump straight into the next.   

Edit two: man, I just adore the relationship between Character A and Character B. I mean, pretty much all the characters are lovable (or loathsome) and entertaining in the extreme, but y'know.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:43:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:21 am »

I finally got around to watching the third and final season of Future Man.
Overall, this was a very enjoyable edgy time-travel comedy. Solid ending too.
Definitely one I'd recommend.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2020, 07:00:45 am »

Shit there's a third one now? I haven't gotten around to the second one even :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:13 pm »

So, Steve Carell's Space Force dropped last night. Only watched two (?) episodes but I rather like it so far!   
Has a ridiculous number of actors I recognise, too. Some of which might surprise you if you go in blind, like I did.   

I've also started watching Detectorists, an oft-overlooked show that's been gathering dust (one could even say buried) on Netflix for years now, but it turns out it's quite a hidden gem, at least in my opinion. At first glance the characters just seemed so sad and lame that I couldn't bear to watch very much, but now that I've gone back to it I rather appreciate their hopeless awkwardness. They and their issues feel real and believable, not like the exaggerated lameness one often sees from an awkward/nerdy character on a sitcom or whatever.

Also, the soundtrack is fantastic. A lovely, apt theme song to tickle the ears at the end of each episode, and as a bonus the singer of said song actually made a cameo, to perform it at a local pub's open-mic night on the show. I thought that was a really nice touch.   

Oh, I also watched an episode of Babylon Berlin, which I've neglected to take a proper look at before, and surprisingly enough it seems quite good.
Didn't think it'd be up my alley, for some reason. Too early to say for sure, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2020, 05:05:51 am »

What do you like in Space Force, specifically? The reviewers are being very meh about it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 30, 2020, 07:28:02 pm »

Hmmm, tough question. I'm not much of a reviewer.   
Basically, it's, uh, well... it's funny? It has a good ensemble cast of characters who are fun in their own way, then just when you're getting used to them you get a whole heap of bonus entertainment when these various characters interact with others they don't usually deal with.   
The plot is for the most part at least somewhat grounded in believability, occasionally becoming quite ridiculous for a moment but never so much as to overly strain my suspension of disbelief. Then again, I've never been on a space base and normally have little interest in such things, so perhaps if one was a big nerd for all that space-stuff they would find such shenanigans annoying? Maybe it's like Big Bang Theory, but mocking the spacemans instead of, well, basically anyone non-neurotypical?       

I think the most likely reason folks dislike it, though, is that they had very different expectations.   
I'm not much of a Steve Carell fan, normally (though of course he has the occasional good role, just don't expect me to list more than, say, one of them), and I've never gotten into the US version of The Office (or the original for that matter), so I quite like his performance - but maybe to fans of him or his previous shows he seems overly subdued and they were hoping for more zany comedy?   
Who knows. I think he does pretty great, here.

Also amidst the subtle (?) mockery of the current US leadership they also had a mild dig at AOC and no doubt various other public figures who were less easily recognisable to a foreigner like myself, so maybe folks be triggered. *shrug*   

This has become a bit of an essay, somehow. I guess this is what happens when I try and answer things this soon after waking up.     
Hopefully it makes some kind of sense.   

Edit: I should probably mention the good cast again, too. Lots of familiar faces in wildly varied roles.   
Some of its pacing may be kind of weird/unusual, but I think I've gotten used to it after a few episodes.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:34:30 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 05, 2020, 09:27:54 pm »

I just finished watching Devs, a show about some tech-nerds trying to break the universe.

Overall quality of the show is high. Good music, good visuals, good acting, good dialogue. It does come across as fairly pretentious, which may be a turnoff for some.

After 8 episodes the show gets a nice conclusion to wrap everything up, so it's a safe watch for those who don't like cliffhangers or ambiguous endings.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2020, 08:30:38 pm »

Finished the first season of Space Force.

Humor was pretty weak in the early episodes, but gradually got better and the last few episodes had me laughing out loud a few times. Story was barely interesting enough to keep me going.

The season ended on a pretty significant cliffhanger and a second season has not yet been confirmed. For this reason alone I cannot recommend the show at this time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2020, 04:31:05 pm »

i'm watching kingdom. Its a Korean tv series about a zombie outbreak in medieval Korea, and actually pretty good.

As a sidenote: I love Korean hats. I bet they have anti zombie and anti covid19 properties

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:33:11 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:48 pm »

I've been seeing it recommended by Netflix's algorithm, but assumed it was yet another mediocre historical soap opera. I had never even realised it has zombies.
But hey, it really is kinda good. So far, at least. So thanks for the recommendation.

And those hats, mate. They all look like Quakers doing Van Helsing cosplay (hurr durr funny foreign culture hurr durr, I know, sue me).

Also, what the hell is with those doors all breaking at the hinges so easily?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:14:33 pm by Il Palazzo »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 01, 2020, 05:03:16 am »

Medieval Korea had mandated breakaway doors for all buildings. Fire safety regulations, you know.

Also I love that Korean hats are called nips. For what is the hat if not a nipple for your head?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 67