Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 101605 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #525 on: July 01, 2020, 05:06:36 am »

I think they called gats?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:14 pm »

As an addenum: Kingdom is Game of Thrones done right and streamlined.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 02, 2020, 07:38:26 pm »

Eh, it kinda fell apart for me, a few episodes in. I guess, when the novelty wore off the silliness started to shine through. The aforementioned door hinges turned out to be a harbinger of things to come - events happening because the plot needs them to, not because of logic and reason.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 02, 2020, 07:50:57 pm »

I think mainstream media pans Space Force because it treats all sides of the political spectrum with the same irreverence - it doesn't exonerate either of them.  For that alone I found the show interesting.  The speech about oranges to Congress was awesome.

Wife and I have been watching Schitt's Creek as a low-stress comedic escape.  It fills the bill nicely, although season 3 so far is a little slower than the first 2.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 03, 2020, 09:25:22 am »

Yeah, most of the disapproving critical reviews I saw were basically just bleating about how it's "too soon" or some rubbish. Whatever happened to topical comedy? Is that not a thing that's acceptable anymore, even when it's as tame as Space Force?   
I agree that its even-handed mockery was pretty neat. I'm hoping there'll be another season, though judging by its commercial success I'm not too worried.   

Oh, uh, TV shows, well... I've watched a few more episodes of Babylon Berlin, still not really sure what I think of it. The setting's pretty cool, at least, especially with all the wild swing dancing that apparently went on in pre-WW2 Berlin. There isn't exactly a surplus of characters for one to relate to or give a toss about, however, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.   
There are also at least a couple of other shows that I was watching but have kind of been distracted from (Detectorists, Mortel) for a while, but I've just started watching a pretty long-running British show called Skins, about a bunch of disgusting, randy, British teenagers (I think?), basically. Lots of rude and raunchy comedy, but it's clever about it rather than just going for shock/gross-out value.   
Probably more shows I'm forgetting. I've been watching more movies lately.   

I watched the fourth season of F Is For Family, too, of course. It was great. Bit of a slow start, maybe, but it was great.   
Lots of character development, heel-face turns (and vice-versa), triumphs, failures, dirty underpants and yuks.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 06, 2020, 02:56:31 am »

Yesterday I was at a (flea) market (yeah, I'm surprised that such things are running again, too, but there's a negligible amount of COVID cases around here so the panic has pretty much died down) and found the first season of Justified, something I've been meaning to watch for quite some time, for five bucks on DVD.   

I've watched about, say four episodes so far? Honestly, I'm not sure what to think. It certainly isn't what I expected.   
My expectations were fairly vague, but from what little I'd read about it I expected a gritty, atmospheric look into the tribulations of life and crime in those little opiod- and unemployment-stricken 'rust belt' towns it's so fascinating to read about in North America, with Timothy Olyphant playing against type (for me, at least, since I've only seen him in Santa Clarita Diet and some dramedy with Jason Bateman where he played a kindly former football star with a head injury) as a hard-ass US marshal/fashion victim, but it seems like it's more like... I don't know, a bite-sized Carl Hiaasen novel in every episode?

Giving me some Longmire vibes, too, but I think that's mostly due to the main character wearing a cowboy hat and perhaps something to do with the production values. Still entertaining enough, but not nearly as dark and thoughtful as I'd expected. So far, at least.
Bear in mind, this is only the first season, though I don't know how many there were?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:26 am »

Just a quick PSA for those that weren't following stuff, third season of Dark came out a couple of weeks ago.

Shit is still great.

That is all.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 13, 2020, 10:54:50 pm »

Wstching Merlin (2008) out of boredom and I have this beef. Why (I'll spoil it in case anyone cares

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 13, 2020, 11:08:06 pm »

I seem to remember a lot of dumb shit going down in that show, haha. Used to watch that on channel ten waaaaay back when free-to-air TV was still a thing my family bothered with. I mean, the TV does still turn on automatically in the mornings, but other than that.   
Everyone else is kinda supposed to be dumb, but then Merlin is just as bad half the time.   

Anyway, I've been watching more Skins. It's pretty damn good. Also watched a couple of Spanish-language shows with my mother, The Unremarkable Juanqini (I probably spelled that wrong) and some spin-off of that Club de Cuervos show (which neither of us have watched) called The Ballad of Hugo Sanchez. It was actually pretty funny.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2020, 02:13:25 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:56:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2020, 09:12:09 am »

Why is everyone in Camelot such a frigging idiot, including the title character?

They needs some sort of plot, which needs conflict. So either the Hollywood writers need to come up with smart characters, and someone who can outsmart them, or they can write what they know.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23:34 am »

"Spiders are the fiercest predators in the insect kingdom"
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2020, 12:32:28 pm »

Thank you Eschar, for recommending Person of Interest. Am on season 3 right now

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 16, 2020, 12:56:07 pm »

Yay! I last watched "Beta" from season 3, if you're further please don't spoil anything for me :)

What do you think of the show?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 16, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »

Yay! I last watched "Beta" from season 3, if you're further please don't spoil anything for me :)

What do you think of the show?
I love it. Not enough shows have AI as the hero. Too many see AIs as villains.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:01:17 pm by Naturegirl1999 »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 67