Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 101559 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2021, 03:59:49 pm »

Sort of a necro I guess and almost 20 years late, but I've started watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine lately.  I can see why a lot of people say it's the best Star Trek series, even if it's pretty different from its predecessors.  I can really appreciate the political and moral aspects to it now, where when I watched TNG as a kid I mostly appreciated the pew pew phasers and big space ships.  I think sticking to a more serial format with a strong continuing plot was a very good decision.

Interestingly, while I've finished the first 5 seasons and it's getting into the Dominion war arcs now, my favorite episode is still Duet from season 1.  There have been a lot of good episodes since then, but despite being a season 1 episode it really stood out to me.

Now, do I dare start Voyager after finishing this or do I binge TNG again...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 02, 2021, 10:32:37 am »

There's a fun recent addition on Netflix - a miniseries called Brand New Cherry Flavor.
It's wonderfully weird and stylish. Oozes charm, in a body horror, disturbing way. Setting is 90s LA, and it's about a filmmaker getting involved with some voodoo shit. The series manages to maintain this great sense that everyone in this environment is just a bit fucked up, a bit mad, maybe drugged out of their minds - just enough to accept all the weirdness that's going on around them, and roll with it. There's a few moments where you think that any normal person would just nope out of the situation and never come back, but the cast properly sells the auto-destructiveness of the characters.
Its momentum peters out somewhat in the finale, kinda characteristic of book adaptations IMO, with a contrived rush to close the story.
Rosa Salazar in the lead role is a wonder to watch (after Undone and this she's rapidly becoming my favourite actress working today; seems to gravitate towards weird projects). The cast in general, together with overall execution (cinematography & music is A+), elevates what is admittedly rather thin on the bones when one stops to think about it. But you don't stop to overanalyse while it lasts, and it does leave a mark after it ends.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:20 am »

I recently finished watching The Falcon and Winter Soldier. I had zero interest in either of the titular characters, but I've been pleasantly surprised by other Marvel Cinematic miniseries lately, so I figured I'd give this one a chance.

The show is about one third black racism guilt-tripping, one third war vets sitting around moaning about their dead buddy, and one third chasing around some little girl supervillain with a political cause that I guess I was supposed to sympathise with but didn't actually understand.
So....yeah. Not one of Marvel's finer moments imho.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 03, 2021, 03:40:04 pm »

almost 20 years late...

Heh, I just started Stargate SG1. I have no idea why it's taken so long for me to start it... liking it so far, just into season 2.

Now, do I dare start Voyager

Only if you enjoy pain and suffering.  ;D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 04, 2021, 09:04:46 am »

Now, do I dare start Voyager

Only if you enjoy pain and suffering.  ;D

...I'm afraid
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 04, 2021, 02:55:56 pm »

I'm aware of the infamous warp 10 episode where the writers clearly don't understand what warp 10 really means, or how evolution works, but I've gathered that there are a number of additional stinkers among the episodes beside that one.  I'm not really familiar with the contents of said episodes though, since I've only ever watched bits of various episodes when it was on TV many years ago.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2021, 02:41:13 am »

I think they time travel 4 times in the first season, so...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 05, 2021, 02:44:58 am »

Every show has it's shit episodes, I'm sure it'll be fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 05, 2021, 03:16:17 am »

Yeah, revisit the first season of TNG (the series I grew up on) and be prepared for some yikes.
Except that maybe Voyager season 1 is stronger than any other Trek.  It has the tension between the Federation and Maquis forefront.  The show gets weaker as they fight against baddie aliens.  But it recovers - the show does very interesting things with the Borg.  Despite the sexualization, 7/9 is a surprisingly deep character.  Like Data, but if Data did war crimes before becoming sentient.  Imagine trying to process that.  I'd probably play simple games with a child too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2021, 07:04:08 am »

The early bits of TNG is what I would call "campy" - it's a little off, but it's honest about it, if that makes sense.

DS9 really is quite good, but it has a very different feel from TOS or TNG.

Voyager, on the other hand, just feels like it's trying too hard.  Some of the stories are OK, but I never really cared about any of the characters like I did in TOS, TNG, or DS9.  Yeah maybe Seven of Nine had some depth - but I actually felt like I had more empathy for Hugh in a single episode than I did for Seven of Nine across the series.

Enterprise also suffered a bit from "trying too hard" I felt - trying to be nostalgic but also all that time travel crap.  I haven't seen Discovery or later, so can't comment on those.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »

Which series introduced the mushroom warp drive?  Or spore drive or whatever it was called?  That sounds like a series I'd rather avoid.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2021, 08:48:29 pm »

Discovery introduced the Mycelium Drive.

I consider Discovery a fairly good series for action and exciting twists. I found the second season difficult to follow though, with all the time travel nonsense.
Overall, I wish they would focus less on the big season-long arcs, and do more episodic stuff like the earlier shows.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:54 pm »

I like Discovery for various reasons (the trans characters and Michael Burnham 100% steal the show). I don't like the seasonal arcs, it feels way too much like I'm watching a soap opera.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2021, 10:14:10 pm »

New trek is an unmitigated dumpster fire of incompetent writers/producers who neither get nor like any of the old stuff. I gave up on Discovery partway trough the first season because neither the overall plot was interesting nor were any of the characters likeable or memorable in any way.

Shit, this little clip RLM made perfectly shows the change. (and yes this is stuff from Picard, but Discovery was hardly any better as it was run/written by the same gaggle of incompetent hacks)

Edit:
Forgot to add that the link has some potentially disturbing imagery, you have been warned
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 08:44:17 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2021, 02:29:24 am »

I have heard nothing good about Discovery, and have no intention of wasting my time watching it, and if Picard is made by the same people then I shall pass it over as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 67