Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 103515 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #645 on: November 26, 2021, 05:18:06 pm »

The Wheel of Time on Amazon.

It's been a long time since I've read the books (yes, all of them).  So far it's pretty close to what I remember - enough so that I can't say anything's amiss.  Maybe a few odd cinematic choices here and there, but I'm enjoying it!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 26, 2021, 06:28:09 pm »

I just finished watching Devs, a show about some tech-nerds trying to break the universe.

Overall quality of the show is high. Good music, good visuals, good acting, good dialogue. It does come across as fairly pretentious, which may be a turnoff for some.

After 8 episodes the show gets a nice conclusion to wrap everything up, so it's a safe watch for those who don't like cliffhangers or ambiguous endings.
I've just stumbled upon this one.
It's an Alex Garland show (of Ex Machina, Annihilation). Honestly, that should be enough for a recommendation.
A brainy slow-boiler about quantum gobbledygook and determinism. Starring that girl who was tearing up the dance floor with Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina, Thufir Hawat, and Ron fucking Swanson.
It's kinda great. How is this not talked about more is mystifying.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 28, 2021, 09:06:36 am »

A while ago I noticed this LoL show on Netflix, called Arcane. Game inspired shows are never good, so it was odd to see a 100% score on rottentomatoes. Went and checked it out. And boy, is it beautiful or what.

Castlevania was pretty good, never watched the second season.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 28, 2021, 09:40:32 am »

The Wheel of Time on Amazon.

It's been a long time since I've read the books (yes, all of them).

Actually started watching this, but after 15 minutes decided that I'll have to read a bit about the world first (haven't read the books or pretty much anything about the premise). Seemed an interesting and decent enough series to watch, but felt like I need to know some background to get the most out of it.

Other than that, I've been re-watching (again) the first campaign of Critical Role. The second campaign was a bit meh and didn't like the "better production values" nor the characters, but the third campaign surprisingly has been entertaining so far, and I even like the characters (except can't really stand Taliesin's punk-rock barbarian that feels super awkward to me).

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 28, 2021, 12:07:16 pm »

A while ago I noticed this LoL show on Netflix, called Arcane. Game inspired shows are never good, so it was odd to see a 100% score on rottentomatoes. Went and checked it out. And boy, is it beautiful or what.
Castlevania was pretty good, never watched the second season.

Castlevania has 4 seasons now, with the fourth concluding the story of Trevor Belmont and his company. There is a sequel in the works, set to focus on descendant Richter Belmont.
The series has been a bit rushed in my opinion; ambitiously tackling lots of different characters and plots simultaneously, and not quite giving all of them the time they needed to feel complete. That kept things exciting though.

On the subject of video game shows, DOTA: Dragons Blood is also on Netflix, and I consider it quite good. Production values aren't quite as high as Arcane, and the setting more fantasy cliche. But still a solid show.
Season 2 is scheduled for January 2022!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 28, 2021, 12:43:55 pm »

Actually started watching this, but after 15 minutes decided that I'll have to read a bit about the world first (haven't read the books or pretty much anything about the premise). Seemed an interesting and decent enough series to watch, but felt like I need to know some background to get the most out of it.

I would recommend against that actually - if the show can't stand on its own exposition, it failed.  So far it seems to be expositing at about the same pace of the books - at least, in the books, there was a lot about the world you don't learn at the beginning. It does come in bits and pieces.

Part of the enjoyment of any piece of fantasy is getting the information over time, not just all at once... at least in my opinion.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 28, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »

Part of the enjoyment of any piece of fantasy is getting the information over time, not just all at once... at least in my opinion.

It's more of a personal preference or maybe an unhealthy obsession for me: I find myself often being more interested in the worlds than the actual stories being told. Maybe it's got to do with me being the eternal DM since a kid, so I try to know as much of the surrounding world as possible (I actually very rarely get to the point of DMing and spend all the time either reading on the setting or trying to create my own)? Dunno.

In any case, I read just a brief description of the premise and that should be enough to satisfy my curiosity for now, so I'll probably give a new go for the series some time soon.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 11, 2021, 09:53:50 am »

As someone who really enjoyed the Wheel of Time books, the series was a hige disappointment.

Mainly because the characters were altered far too much, and also because the coming of age stuff was completely cut out by aging everyone.

The whole idea of Wheel of Time was that a group of innocent farmers went into the world and grew up while combating its darkness. The WoT show is just generic fantasy.

I will admit that the visual content is incredibly well done, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 11, 2021, 11:03:40 am »

Re: Wheel of Time

I feel like a big part of the ire with remakes or book adaptations is that when you are watching visual adaptations of books, they are always going to be somewhat different.  You have to somewhat put aside your expectations and just take the presentation as what it is.  Works of art aren't just for the audience - they are also for the creator.  Let the creators create!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: True show spoiler (click to show/hide)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 11, 2021, 12:17:35 pm »

I feel like a big part of the ire with remakes or book adaptations is that when you are watching visual adaptations of books, they are always going to be somewhat different.  You have to somewhat put aside your expectations and just take the presentation as what it is.  Works of art aren't just for the audience - they are also for the creator.  Let the creators create!

I think it's not important for the adaptation to be (too) faithful for the original story or characters -- if I want to experience the original story, I'm probably better off just reading the book. It's more important that the visual adaptation has the same feel as the literary work, which is something most adaptations fail to do, in my opinion (can't say about Wheel of Time, though).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 11, 2021, 02:23:24 pm »

I agree that adaptations should have the same flavour, not necessarily the same content, as the books.

It's what made Dune a good adaptation imo. It tasted the same as the books, and used its medium to push them forward in new ways - for instance with the sound track.

Rand's about 19 in the books, and what... 25 in the series? A big difference.

What the series did to Mat was nearly as bad as what they did to Perrin, largely because it misses the entire 'flavour' of WoT - which, as stated above, is a coming-of-age tale involving simple country boys that lacks GoT style grimdark stuff. The series is a testament to what the producers thought people wanted, not what was true to the source material.

What the series did to Mat and Perrin:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can see how, with these characters at its helm, the series just doesn't feel like WoT to me.

I'll add the caveat that I only managed to stomach two episodes and then had to bail. So maybe it improves.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 02:26:42 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 11, 2021, 03:35:23 pm »

Spoiler: More on WoT (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 11, 2021, 11:43:54 pm »

I'll add the caveat that I only managed to stomach two episodes and then had to bail. So maybe it improves.
It does not improve.

They change so much stuff, often for little or no reason that it only barely feels like the same series.

I feel like one of the big reasons that GOT was so good was that Martin was alive to make sure that stuff stayed broadly the same (until they got to the end of the books, at which point... well, you know what happened). Jordan is not alive, and thus wasn't there to stop them randomly changing massive elements of the world, characters, plot, themes, and pacing and it shows.
---
Is it a bad show? No. But if you loved the books and you watch it hoping its like the books you will be mighty disappointed.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 12, 2021, 08:14:23 am »

I don't yet feel like Wheel of Time has really completely broken things relative to the books.

I mean it's nowhere near the level of The Dark Tower for example.  I'm still sad about that one - those were some of my favorite books.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 12, 2021, 04:28:09 pm »

I don't yet feel like Wheel of Time has really completely broken things relative to the books.

I mean it's nowhere near the level of The Dark Tower for example.  I'm still sad about that one - those were some of my favorite books.
The Dark Tower movie is a travesty, a tragedy, and does not deserve to bear the name.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 67