Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104533 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #660 on: December 14, 2021, 08:02:36 am »

I don't yet feel like Wheel of Time has really completely broken things relative to the books.

I mean it's nowhere near the level of The Dark Tower for example.  I'm still sad about that one - those were some of my favorite books.
The Dark Tower movie is a travesty, a tragedy, and does not deserve to bear the name.
I agree about the Dark Tower adaptation. Imo, WoT isn't far off deserving a similar description. It's 'a travesty, a tragedy, and does not deserve to bear the name.' The main difference is that I don't think the Dark Tower was a good movie in general. I think the WoT series might be okay (though not stellar) if you wanted a mostly-generic-and-modernly-diverse-fantasy-show with little originality - a perfect background series en par with earlier BBC fantasy originals.

Jordan is not alive, and thus wasn't there to stop them randomly changing massive elements of the world, characters, plot, themes, and pacing and it shows.
Though Sanderson is, of course, still alive. I saw a quote recently of him saying the script was 'fantastic.' Not sure how much he collaborated on the show.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 20, 2021, 05:12:00 pm »

I binged the 2nd season of Witcher yesterday. Funny thing is what prompted me to watch it, was reading someone complain about it on some other site.

Now I'm not that into the Witcher universe (I haven't played the games or read any of the books), so I can't comment on how faithfull it was on the source material. Compared to season 1, it now has a linear stracture and it focuses a lot on the overarching story around Nilfgaard's invasion and Ciri. While, these choices aren't necessairly bad, I feel like they restricted the show to a grimmer theme/tone and I somewhat miss the general lightheartedness of the first season.

Overall i'd say it is quite enjoyable.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 20, 2021, 05:36:42 pm »

Just started on second season of The Witcher, so can't say too much about it.

I guess I don't feel as strongly that Wheel of Time is a terrible adaptation. I do have some problems with the editing and sequencing of the story*, but it's not been enough for me to bail yet.

Spoiler: *Real WoT Spoilers!!! (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Spoiler: Witcher Spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 08:20:18 am by McTraveller »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 21, 2021, 06:17:36 pm »

Spoiler: *Real WoT Spoilers!!! (click to show/hide)
I'm not gonna watch it, so mind saying how they did it? Obviously spoiler the reply for others!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 21, 2021, 06:51:26 pm »

Spoiler: WoT (click to show/hide)

It kind of goes with my feeling that the show is all right and entertaining enough, and more or less follows the sense I remember for the story, but has some really odd storyboarding / editing choices.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:26 am »

Shit, that Witcher is kinda terribad. The first season wasn't good either, but it was still bingeable as a sort of guilty pleasure. This one is just ugh. At least so far, after two episodes. Bad acting, shit direction, confused script, generic visuals.

@McTraveller
Spoiler: Witcher (click to show/hide)
Honestly, I find myself struggling to care enough to sort it all out.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 22, 2021, 04:41:45 pm »

Marvel's Hawkeye just concluded its first season.

First of all, Kingpin had better survive that off-screen implied death, because that is by far the lamest way that any Marvel villain could possibly die and he just deserves better.

Anyway, this show is mostly a introduction for Hawk-Girl(not her real title). And it does that reasonably well. The new sidekick provides an enthusiastic breath of fresh air, which serves to effectively counter Hawkeye who is worn-out and eager to retire at this point.

Aside from that, the show really fails to provide any meaningful stakes. There's an assassin who is confused about her motives and gives up as soon as she stops to think for two seconds, a deaf girl who has daddy issues or whatever, the aforementioned Kingpin whose appearance feels like nothing more than a cameo, and the Tracksuit Mafia who seem to have no greater role than to showcase what trick-arrows are capable of. At no point during this show did I feel like our protagonists were in real danger, nor that these events would have any impact on the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Overall the show is watchable, but expectations should be kept fairly low.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 22, 2021, 06:28:34 pm »

Shit, that Witcher is kinda terribad. The first season wasn't good either, but it was still bingeable as a sort of guilty pleasure. This one is just ugh. At least so far, after two episodes. Bad acting, shit direction, confused script, generic visuals.

@McTraveller
Spoiler: Witcher (click to show/hide)
Honestly, I find myself struggling to care enough to sort it all out.

I agree with you, the second season has gutted everything worth seeing in Witcher. They have rearranged the plot to the point where there is no meaning in it left, too, and almost all of the charming scenes are gone. My interpretation is that you could easily watch the television show without being spoiled for the books because they are too different.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2021, 05:51:48 am »

Putting in spoilers just in case
Spoiler: witcher (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 06:04:03 am by Robsoie »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 23, 2021, 02:08:07 pm »

I have to say, I'm pretty amused at how much "crosstalk" there is on Stargate SG-1 to other sci-fi of the era, both in little easter eggs in the plot and numerous* actors, especially from Star Trek, showing up as extras.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2021, 06:19:15 pm »

Putting in spoilers just in case
Spoiler: witcher (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 24, 2021, 07:07:38 am »

Spoiler: Cahir (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 07:12:04 am by Robsoie »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 24, 2021, 08:34:08 am »

A while ago I noticed this LoL show on Netflix, called Arcane. Game inspired shows are never good, so it was odd to see a 100% score on rottentomatoes. Went and checked it out. And boy, is it beautiful or what.
Castlevania was pretty good, never watched the second season.

Castlevania has 4 seasons now, with the fourth concluding the story of Trevor Belmont and his company. There is a sequel in the works, set to focus on descendant Richter Belmont.
The series has been a bit rushed in my opinion; ambitiously tackling lots of different characters and plots simultaneously, and not quite giving all of them the time they needed to feel complete. That kept things exciting though.

On the subject of video game shows, DOTA: Dragons Blood is also on Netflix, and I consider it quite good. Production values aren't quite as high as Arcane, and the setting more fantasy cliche. But still a solid show.
Season 2 is scheduled for January 2022!

Last season was rushed because the show producer was involved in a scandal.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 24, 2021, 10:35:36 am »

Spoiler: Cahir (click to show/hide)

I see. Most complains that I had read before, were almost exclusively about the casting choices which, to put it politely, didn't really hold any merit. Changing the characters, that's a different story and after reading what you wrote about book Cahir, I would have liked if they had kept him that way. Thanks Robsoie

About the Castlevania show:

1. Sypha, is arguably one of the best examples for how a wizard character should fight. Highly mobile. Highly destructive. Just lovely. 
2. The toilet paper scene! That timing... right in the middle of a global shortage of toilet paper  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:37:51 am by Ulfarr »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 24, 2021, 11:47:25 am »

So after Ep 8 of Wheel of Time, I think I understand what is most different in feel from the show compared to the books, and probably what many people are feeling.

The show feels rushed.  Especially considering the late Robert Jordan had... ponderous pacing.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 67