Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 101514 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #720 on: April 20, 2022, 12:30:17 am »

Watched the second season of Bridgerton recently.

Not really as good as the first, and it seemed to manufacture plot points for the sake of having plot points, but it was an alright time-waster.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 12, 2022, 08:20:40 pm »

Picard recently finished it's second season.
The major season arc uses the old trope of time traveling back to the current real-life time. I assume this saves a ton of money on set design. It's not an idea I find particularly interesting, but they pulled it off well enough.
We got a brief cameo from an old TNG character which may hint at things to come. An unexpected(and perhaps unwelcome?) redemption arc for the Borg. Some closure for Q. A girl-kiss from 7of9. An origin story for Jean-Luc. And a big lead-in for the already approved Season 3.
So overall, lots of stuff to tie this show in with the old TNG. I liked it a bit more than the first season, which I didn't hate. Looking forward to more.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds just started.
Only 2 episodes in, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. Epic stakes of civilizations being wiped out and wars being started, but the crew handles it all with calm professionalism in way that reminds me of the classic Star Trek shows, and has been missing from the more recent series.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 14, 2022, 02:03:28 am »

I finished Peacemaker a few weeks ago. It really felt like Suicide Squad 2 (not surprising given it had the same director and basic "dude gets conscripted to a suicide squad" plot), and was pretty good. It wasn't amazing or anything, but I would pretty heartily recommend it if you liked the SS2 movie.

I had some issues with it, but the only thing that really bugged me is that I didn't really like is how they seemed to have toned down the difference between supers and regular people.
In SS2 they go out of their way over and over to show that even these D-list supers with no actual powers are godamn combat monsters, and that if you just send like 10 people in against Harley or Bloodsport or Peacemaker you just fed 10 of your soldiers to a woodchipper even though they don't have any actual powers.

In this Peacemaker just kinda feels like a skilled dude with some cool toys, which is obviously more realistic with regards to actual reality, but it does make him and the show just a little less awesome.

I've also finished the first season of the British Taskmaster for free on youtube, which is a comedy show about a comedian telling a bunch of other comedians tasks to do that they then accomplish.
It hits well with my sense of humor so I've really been liking it. IMHO the second season isn't quite so good so far (they change the contestants up every season, and these guys aren't as fun), but its still fairly decent.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #723 on: May 19, 2022, 01:42:13 pm »

New season of better call saul quietly dropped and I did not notice!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:05 pm »

Oh yeah, UK Taskmaster is the shit. Discovered it randomly a couple of years back and have been going trough the stuff whenever new episodes become available. One of the things that you realize as you go is that every season starts with you disliking the new set of victims contestants at first, but as they grow increasingly familiar and unhinged over the course of a season you grow to love them just as much as the previous folks. There will be favorites and highlights of course, but so far I think I've enjoyed pretty much every season with regards to the folks involved in it.

As for myself, enough people have raved about Severance so far that I went and checked it out. One episode in and I'm pretty damn sold, the setup and the mystery are all on damn point and what they've shown of the characters so far is great to leave you wanting more. Hoping it keeps it up over the rest of the season, and from what I've heard it pretty much does.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 04, 2022, 06:53:06 pm »

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds just started.
Only 2 episodes in, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. Epic stakes of civilizations being wiped out and wars being started, but the crew handles it all with calm professionalism in way that reminds me of the classic Star Trek shows, and has been missing from the more recent series.

I love this new incarnation of Trek. It's very understandable (to me) that they'd whiff a little with Discovery -- it really just needed to do better than Enterprise did, and so far it's succeeding in that. There's a lot of things that I like and dislike about Disco.

BUT

I'm a 60s-Star-Trek-only kind of jerk and it's because they made episodes that spoke to real problems that people were having at the time that the show was written. Also because of the bizarre camp and costuming that pervaded the series. I was really worried that they would take Strange New Worlds and use it as an opportunity to not have queers and Black people and women on their show anymore, but that hasn't happened. They are going for broke and pushing the envelope regarding the kinds of stories they want to tell and the things they want to do, PLUS the show has humor, PLUS there's even a little camp. As a treat.

Spoiler: Episode 3 spoilers (click to show/hide)

I thought I was gonna hate it, but man ... it's my new favorite thing and I'm willing to pay for a subscription indefinitely if they'll keep making it for me. $2.50 a week to see Cadet Uhura and friends go on adventures? Anytime! Anywhere!

I normally pay as little as possible for TV but I'm committing to stop mainlining media that teaches me to hate myself, which sometimes means you're going to have to fork over some funds. Yes. I dunno. It's a huge relief to have an hour every week that I'm excited about.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 09, 2022, 02:58:11 pm »

Just started Season Three of Netflix's Lucifer.

I really like it, but I'm not entirely sure why. The who dunnit element isn't very gripping, that's for sure.

Possibly the character development/music/cinematography?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 09, 2022, 04:47:54 pm »

The characters are assuredly the best part of it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 10, 2022, 02:38:12 pm »

I watched some of Lucifer... stopped halfway through the season where the "mother" showed up? Just kind of lost interest.

Stranger Things 4 is definitely a bit more horror/gore than in past seasons. Seems like this should be the final season in the series? The kids are getting older, seems to be wrapping up plot lines.  Still a good show though!  And their team that is responsible for making it period-correct has it right on. I'm always like "We had those plates! I had that phone!"

And am I the only one who things that Obi-Wan is just kind of meh?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 10, 2022, 02:55:53 pm »

And am I the only one who things that Obi-Wan is just kind of meh?

That is surprising, since its the same actor as the prequel movies.

Less surprising since it's Disney trying to milk an existing franchise to death.
Like, when Disney bought Star Wars, I was happy that Star Wars would NEVER die, but sad because I knew what Disney would do with it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 10, 2022, 03:09:20 pm »

I think if it wasn't McGregor, it would be bad.  Even a great actor can't save meh writing.  I mean the storyline is... ugh. I feel like the main antagonist is very one-dimensional for example.  Like... surprise me maybe?  And way too much CGI.  Give me practical effects please.  I mean c'mon Disney, you have the budget for it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 10, 2022, 03:12:46 pm »

I think if it wasn't McGregor, it would be bad.  Even a great actor can't save meh writing.  I mean the storyline is... ugh. I feel like the main antagonist is very one-dimensional for example.  Like... surprise me maybe?  And way too much CGI.  Give me practical effects please.  I mean c'mon Disney, you have the budget for it.
...you're apparently unfamiliar with how Disney does business.
Spend lots on building the franchise, then spend little on products created with the franchise.

Also: Who's excited for Star Wars On Ice?The Ice Show based on Star Wars I just made up that Disney will probably do

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 10, 2022, 04:35:05 pm »

I find the constant focus on child Leia annoying. Boardering on unintentionally funny, actually. I find the inquisitor´s insistence in interrogating a frigging 10 year old child almost like something out of a muppets movie.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 10, 2022, 09:55:23 pm »

Huh, that does sound old-lore-appropriate though.  EU novels of the time had young Leia training herself against interrogation despite being a "princess", presumably because she was aware of how important certain Organa secrets were.  And maybe unconsciously her jedi legacy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 12, 2022, 12:53:55 am »

Just binge watched Mushoku Tensei after reading the light novel like ten million years ago. And honestly, I really liked it despite the objectionable stuff.

The thing that stuck out most for me is that unlike a ton of other Isekai the dude has an meaningful actual personality before his Isekai, and the stuff that happened to him in his previously life matter for anything besides magical Isekai knowledge in actual bad ways.

As usual the problematic stuff largely got watered down by the media shift from light novel->anime, thus the only truly creepy thing went from ~5k words to 2 sentences and I probably wouldn't have even really noticed it as anything other then the MC being pervy like usual.
Still, the fact that it had such a big place in the source material does make enjoying the series kind of problematic.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67