Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104478 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #750 on: July 16, 2022, 10:11:45 pm »

I watched Resident Evil. It was shite.

Why is writing a main character that makes sensible decisions apparently so difficult? I mean, any character really, but it was most egregious with the protagonist in this.

So many inconsistencies (at the end of one episode, the sister of the protagonist brings up something she’s anxious about and is reassured by the protagonist, at the start of the next episode the protagonist is the one worried about it and being reassured by her sister) and so many utterly bizarre decisions made by so many characters that just don’t make sense. It’s hugely frustrating.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:15:24 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 17, 2022, 03:00:49 am »

(at the end of one episode, the sister of the protagonist brings up something she’s anxious about and is reassured by the protagonist, at the start of the next episode the protagonist is the one worried about it and being reassured by her sister)

Ah yes the Walking Dead character development method.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 19, 2022, 04:41:01 pm »

Quote from: The Boys
SOME SCENES MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR SOME, REALLY MOST, LET'S BE HONEST ALL VIEWERS. BUT REST ASSURED THAT ANY CONSENSUAL RELATIONSHIPS DEPICTED, BE THEY HUMAN, ANIMAL, SUPERHERO, OR OTHER, AREN'T REAL, HARMED NO ONE, AND IN FACT COST A HILARIOUSLY LARGE AMOUNT IN VISUAL EFFECTS.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2022, 05:49:40 am »

I watched the first episode of that new RE. Loved the film series even when it wasn't taking itself seriously at all. But couldn't get past the god awful editing of episode 1. Glad I didn't stick with it

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 20, 2022, 11:58:07 am »

I really don’t like Paul WS Anderson movies because they tend to have braindead characters in them, and I don’t mean the zombies.

I think I had some level of enjoyment for the first two RE movies despite this, but when the start of the third has a big group in a hugely armored school bus, they stop at a motel for supplies, send only two of their number in who then immediately split up, one of them gets attacked and bitten by a zombie and fails to inform anyone despite the knowledge he’s putting everyone at risk, the other guy doesn’t go “hey you’re looking a bit winded, you good?” when they meet up again, it means my suspension of disbelief has been shaken to pieces already and I need to watch something with more sensible people.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 20, 2022, 03:17:42 pm »

I liked the premise of the Resident Evil 1 movie. It was simple yet effective. And I liked that it kind of sticks to the Aristothelian concept of unity of time in playwrights (ie: the duration of the movie roughly matches the time scale of the story within the movie)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 21, 2022, 03:54:00 am »

The first couple of Resident Evil movies played on the nostalgia of the old PSX games the RE1 mansion in the 1st movie and the RE2 city in the 2nd, they worked very well for me for that reason. After that the further movies didn't do much for me as it seemed they had no real idea what to do with the franchise, they even tried a mad max with zombie in one of them only to go back to ultratech scifi in another....

I wonder if there's a zombie themed movie/show in which the characters involved aren't going completely stupid at a point or another and fill one of those :

"My group has survived for years and is so very experienced at dealing with zombies, but main characters arrived, suddenly we all die to zombies !"
"Oh zombies are coming from the right, they're noisy but i'll turn my back to them and look to the left and pretend i don't see them coming !"
"An ominous looking building, let's go inside without absolutely checking every windows or opening first !"
"It's just a nasty-looking wound, no need to treat it or use disinfectant i'll just put a piece of cloth over it, it will go away on its own !"
"Zombies are sensible to noise ? I'll shout as much as i can instead of whispering, what could go wrong anyways !"
"I need to go to my objective in the wilderness, but there is a whole building full of zombie between me and it, let's go right into that building instead of circling around it !"
"We're a huge group, but let's send that guy alone in that building, it's completelty safe for him !"
"Our big armed squad that survived for years, how about we suddenly panic and can't shoot straight anymore or let the zombies come a lot closer before shooting ?"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:06:20 am by Robsoie »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 21, 2022, 07:33:37 pm »

I'm also watching AJ and the Queen, which is the Logan sequel I never knew I needed ;)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #758 on: July 21, 2022, 08:15:50 pm »

Better Call Saul is starting to close up, but they did my boy Howard dirty D;

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 21, 2022, 08:20:47 pm »

I wonder if there's a zombie themed movie/show in which the characters involved aren't going completely stupid at a point or another and fill one of those :
Have you seen Fido? They're extremely pragmatic in that one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 21, 2022, 08:47:06 pm »

Better Call Saul is starting to close up, but they did my boy Howard dirty D;
Oh no ):
I should catch up, I think my dad just saw the last season.  Caught me by surprise because Breaking Bad didn't catch his attention at all, but they *are* very different shows.  I did feel like BCS was very good beyond the prequel-factor, but it's nice to have confirmation.  And being able to chat about it my dad as he progressed was fun too!  I couldn't resist hinting that Howard wasn't quite as bad as indicated...  Dad still enjoyed the big reveal.

wholesome~
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 22, 2022, 03:00:02 am »

The first couple of Resident Evil movies played on the nostalgia of the old PSX games the RE1 mansion in the 1st movie and the RE2 city in the 2nd, they worked very well for me for that reason. After that the further movies didn't do much for me as it seemed they had no real idea what to do with the franchise, they even tried a mad max with zombie in one of them only to go back to ultratech scifi in another....

"My group has survived for years and is so very experienced at dealing with zombies, but main characters arrived, suddenly we all die to zombies !"
"Oh zombies are coming from the right, they're noisy but i'll turn my back to them and look to the left and pretend i don't see them coming !"
"An ominous looking building, let's go inside without absolutely checking every windows or opening first !"
"It's just a nasty-looking wound, no need to treat it or use disinfectant i'll just put a piece of cloth over it, it will go away on its own !"
"Zombies are sensible to noise ? I'll shout as much as i can instead of whispering, what could go wrong anyways !"
"I need to go to my objective in the wilderness, but there is a whole building full of zombie between me and it, let's go right into that building instead of circling around it !"
"We're a huge group, but let's send that guy alone in that building, it's completelty safe for him !"
"Our big armed squad that survived for years, how about we suddenly panic and can't shoot straight anymore or let the zombies come a lot closer before shooting ?"

The last two years have proven beyond a doubt that people acting stupid in zombie media is realistic. If anything they overestimate real human intelligence.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 22, 2022, 04:04:02 am »

If something stupid can happen it's gonna happen, especially in a movie.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 22, 2022, 11:57:48 am »

I am watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu, and am enjoying it so far.

There is one episode which focuses on a deaf character, and there is no sound (bits of incidental music) which I thought was pretty cool.

Also very funny in that it’s following them surreptitiously lip reading other people and that section ends with them turning to the camera and signing “everyone in this city talks too fucking much”, but you might expect that from Steve Martin and Martin Short.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 22, 2022, 09:41:38 pm »

I'm also watching AJ and the Queen, which is the Logan sequel I never knew I needed ;)

I cannot fucking believe that they canceled this campy monstrosity. How dare they. How dare.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67