Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104103 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:27 pm »

I've been watching Bojack Horseman recently.
Nice! It is so good. Have you seen all the seasons?

I am currently watching the first episode of Hatfields and McCoys, a miniseries with movie-length episodes starring Kevin Costner.
Fairly entertaining stuff so far! Maybe a little histrionic, but the setting, costumes and themes are all good enough that I'm still finding it quite enjoyable.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 09:55:27 am »

I've been watching Bojack Horseman recently.
Nice! It is so good. Have you seen all the seasons?

I saw all of season 1 and half of season 2 a while ago, so I'm just re-watching it from the start.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 11:46:47 am »

Just about done with S2 Stranger Things.

Season 1 definitely was better. Season 2 isn't terrible but my god the first 4 episodes are kind of trash. I got up to EP4 in one night and didn't watch it again for a week, that's how unenthusiastic the first four episodes left me.

I feel like this is what happens when you just try to do what was successful before in a sequel. Normally, in video games, I'm ok with that, because sequels inheriting mechanics and characters makes for series continuity. In TV though.....just seems like they didn't have any real ideas to execute on. Everything that makes S2 different than S1 is additive. It's mostly new characters.

I guess I was hoping they'd go further with the story but really all it is, is the "natural" outcome of the shit that happened in S1. It's watchable but it doesn't have me nearly as hooked as S1. And it's not because all of this is familiar now, IMO. It's just that the quality of ideas they ran with are so low-hanging, and there's a lot of indulgent crap in the first few episodes that really slows everything down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:05 am »

There's a lot of world building errors as well. Like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also they really flubbed the monster:

And storytelling wise... Man:
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 02:33:28 pm »

Riverdale(looking forward to some INSANE crossovers)
Tiger & Bunny

Those are ones I watched all of recently-ish.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:38:18 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »

There's a lot of world building errors as well. Like:

Ayup. If we take the first season at face value, the problem was already widespread by then. But that I imagine created locale/framing problems, so they collapsed everything down to pretty much just one site in S2.

Also they really flubbed the monster:

And storytelling wise... Man:

All in all, ST S2 feels like it could have cooked for much longer than it did. It feels like made-to-order television. And S1 didn't feel that way.

Put another way, it feels like this was a show run by producers instead of writers. All the beats that made ST S1 special are just thoughtlessly recycled. Almost like the things people thought the most about were what iconic 80s song should back up what scene. The season simultaneously takes too long with setting context and establishing characters, and not enough time on the actual action or important plot movements. (Although to be fair, Episodes 5 to 8 where people are actually doing things and figuring out solutions to problems vastly increases the show's entertainment value, compared to what you just sat through.)

I can safely say, before even watching the finale, that I don't need a Stranger Things S3. Not unless they actually do something different. There was so much missed potential in Season 2 that it's hard to not feel like it was all being phoned in.

I sort of almost expect a spin off ST series based on all the weird kids that have gotten lose in the world. But lord knows we already have enough primetime quasi-superhero shows already, I don't think it would do terribly well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:28:14 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 03:54:05 pm »

Haven't seen s2 yet so I can't comment on the spoilered stuff yet. But somewhat related to it, I always thought that s1 was kind of a done deal, a self contained story that was good enough on it's own, like True Detective s1 was. Was expecting them to then do a similar thing and for s2 to perhaps share themes or even actors but to tell it's own unique story.

I really want a modern take on the twilight zone concept but a bit bigger, so instead of a single episode being a single story make it two or three. Some really great stuff can be done when you have several hours to work with, characters can have depth and arcs and shit and you'll even have time for actuon if you want to. Next best thing of course is Black Mirror, but that shit is so damn slow to come out and so easy to burn trough :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »

I feel it's worth  mentioning that Stranger Things has a mobile game for android and apple. It appears to be styled as a retro-rpg. I haven't played, but the feedback is generally positive.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 07:31:44 pm »

Been dipping in and out of Initial D as of late.

If you don't mind one of the slowest startups ever (and it's a """"""""""kids"""""""""" show), Wakfu (spelled exactly like that) can be funny.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:17 pm »

First Bojack talk, and now anime? You people do know that we have catoon/anime threads, right? >_<

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »

Haven't seen s2 yet so I can't comment on the spoilered stuff yet. But somewhat related to it, I always thought that s1 was kind of a done deal, a self contained story that was good enough on it's own, like True Detective s1 was. Was expecting them to then do a similar thing and for s2 to perhaps share themes or even actors but to tell it's own unique story.

I really want a modern take on the twilight zone concept but a bit bigger, so instead of a single episode being a single story make it two or three. Some really great stuff can be done when you have several hours to work with, characters can have depth and arcs and shit and you'll even have time for actuon if you want to. Next best thing of course is Black Mirror, but that shit is so damn slow to come out and so easy to burn trough :C

I'm right there with you. I really liked the format of True Detective. Too bad Season 2 was such a stinker that the whole thing is likely dead. But yeah, we need more self-contained stories set in the same world operating by the same rules and styling and themes. That's what I was so hoping out of True Detective. A crime procedural with a supernatural or at least mystical underpinning. Season 2 though was just merely creepy, on top of just being unpleasant and graphic for its own sake.

Also I want to like Black Mirror but after the episode about replaying memories and cheating spouses I kinda went "I am not the target demographic of this show."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:56 pm »

First Bojack talk, and now anime? You people do know that we have catoon/anime threads, right? >_<
Last I checked, the cartoon thread was always either dead or filled with anime itself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:45 am »

Future Man just recently released it's first season on Hulu.

It's basically like if Back To The Future and The Last Star Fighter and Terminator all had a baby that was shamelessly unapologetic about how corny it was, and still managed to be awesome at the same time. I'm only halfway through, but finding it quite entertaining thus far.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »

I've posted it in the happy and the WTF thread, but here it is again.

I'm watching The Tick.

The Tick is amazing.

It's a children's comedy superhero book series turned into an M-rated tv series, and it fucking works.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2017, 08:10:00 pm »

The Tick was never really a childbook comic series. Thats not how the The Tick started at all. I think your conflating its amazing, but short lived Fox Saturday Morning cartoon for the comic series.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67