Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104493 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #975 on: January 10, 2024, 10:54:52 pm »

I finished watching the first two seasons of Sweet Tooth. This one is set in a post-apocalyptic world where human-animal hybrid children are hunted by the remaining humans. It was okay.

This is yet another show that doesn't really seem to know what audience it's trying to target. On the one hand we have a gritty, violent setting where nobody trusts anybody and there's not enough provisions to go around. On the other hand, we have a bunch of cute hybrid kids cheerfully running around, mostly avoiding the dangers of this ugly world. There's also a fair amount of plot holes and bad dialogue.

Overall, it's watchable, but hard to recommend. I'll probably come back for the third and final season, just to be done with Sweet Tooth.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 14, 2024, 07:09:31 pm »

I finished the two current seasons of From. This feels like a TV show version of Minecraft or Valheim, or any of the myriad other games about sheltering in place at night while monsters try to break down your door, then exploring a bizarre world full of mysteries during the day.

This is one of those shows where I just know right away that whatever explanation they eventually give for the supernatural mysteries will be unsatisfying, and yet I can't help enjoying the journey just the same. I found From absolutely enthralling, and frequently sat down intending to watch a single episode but ended up watching two or three instead!

Very much looking forward to Season 3, which we are optimistic about appearing some time this year.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 14, 2024, 07:30:38 pm »

I made it through the first season of Another Life.

I just... I can't understand the ways these shows portray the complete utter lack of professional behavior by about anyone.  This is not the first media for which I have had this observation... what is going on with society... this is not an art-reflects-reailty-reflects-art loop I want to reinforce, yet here we are...

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 15, 2024, 02:27:52 am »

Haha, Another Life exceptionally bad.  A hand picked crew that's potentially humanity's last hope and apparently the government thought that rejected Love Island contestants were the best fit for the job.  They make the scientists from Prometheus look good.  The characters from Always Sunny would have done a better job.  If it came out now I'd think it was written by AI, but honestly AI would probably have made a better written show.

And somehow it got a second season.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 16, 2024, 12:25:09 pm »

I just... I can't understand the ways these shows portray the complete utter lack of professional behavior by about anyone.

To quote a certain screenwriter, the answer is always "So the movie can happen".
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 16, 2024, 09:20:13 pm »

I'm trying to get into Slow Horses, but it's not quite living up to the glowing recommendations I've been sold on. Was expecting modern, perhaps bawdier, John le Carre. What I'm seeing is competently made, engaging, but bland and kinda shallow.
Which is, incidentally, how I feel about most visual entertainment these days.

Oh, but credit where it's due: slovenly Gary Oldman is fun to watch.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 09:26:06 pm by Il Palazzo »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 19, 2024, 10:49:48 pm »

Doctor Who , i'm nearly done, only a few left to go...
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 20, 2024, 05:52:08 am »

I just... I can't understand the ways these shows portray the complete utter lack of professional behavior by about anyone.

To quote a certain screenwriter, the answer is always "So the movie can happen".

There's additionally a vast difference in writing talent when it comes to writing story and characters.
Because often in a tv series or movies a drama point is a result of a mistake/misunderstanding/failure happening between characters. But it's how things are wrote that makes it believable or ridiculous, and not all the hired writers have the talent for that unfortunately.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 20, 2024, 01:47:43 pm »

Doctor Who , i'm nearly done, only a few left to go...
Just nuWho or the whole (extant, + reconstructed/"lost" stories) corpus?  A lot, either way.

Then you might need to look to (e.g.) the Big Finish audio stories (both pre-revival and post-revival doctors), extended-canon and totally off-canon ("The Curse Of Fatal Death" parody, and the Peter "he's actually a human called Who..." Cushing vs the Daleks films.

If you feel you might want to, anyway... ;)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 26, 2024, 12:36:34 am »

Two episodes into Severance. It's great.
It's about people who work (?) on data (?) so sensitive, that they have to undergo a procedure that separates their memories in and out of work. So they're essentially signing off a part of their life to oblivion, while creating another person whose entire world is confined to the work environment where they toil endlessly (since that part of them doesn't experience any downtime after they clock out).
A simple idea explored carefully and cleverly, like in a good sf short or an episode of the Twilight Zone.
There's this wonderfully unsettling aura of existential dread permeating everything. Something very Lynchian about it. Possibly a commentary on modern life or life in general, but it doesn't hit you on the head with its metaphors.
Quality production and a few well known faces in the cast (Turturro, Walken, Arquette).

Ok, that was a binge. It's the best thing I've seen in a while. Go watch it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 06:02:05 pm by Il Palazzo »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 22, 2024, 07:37:24 pm »

I finished watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, a TV show installment in the MonsterVerse movie franchise.

This show is about 90% wild goose chase. A couple of kids find out their father died in a monster attack, then get a clue that he might be alive, so they go chasing after him. They then get chased by another giant monster, find another clue about where their father might be, go chasing after him again, and repeat that cycle for most of the season.

Despite the somewhat tedious plot, the monsters had a fairly impressive variety, and the ending had a very satisfying payoff.

I'm not super optimistic that the second season will find an interesting way to continue the story from where it left off...but I'll certainly come back to see what they've got.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 24, 2024, 02:49:43 pm »

I finished watching the first and second seasons of Halo.

I have not played much of the games, so cannot draw much comparison there. I do know that the games are mostly about shooter action, and I was a bit disappointed that this show has very little action in it, instead focusing most of the screen-time on the mystery of the aliens and the politics of the government managing Master Chief and his Spartans.

The first season devoted a lot of time to a side character; some little rebel girl who, despite the omnipresent alien threat, spends all her time hating on the government for reasons that are not explained sufficiently for me to develop any real interest in her arc. It was an unwelcome distraction from Master Chief and his affairs.

In general this show seems to be plagued by forced plot progression. Characters will suddenly change their minds for no apparent reason. Or worse, they exhibit super-intuition or outright superpowers with absolutely no explanation, just to keep things moving along.

Ultimately, if you don't overthink it then Halo is a very watchable show. I can't really offer any higher praise than that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 24, 2024, 03:04:22 pm »

People got upset that Master Chief took off his helmet, then got upset he took out his helmet and someone else played with it, if you get my drift.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 25, 2024, 11:42:04 am »

I have a friend who's a big fan of the Halo games and he said the series butchered the story and it has very little to do with the games.  He despises the series for a lot of reasons, but I sadly don't know enough about it to relay any of his commentary.

Another friend said the story sounded like it was originally meant to be a different sci-fi series that got rebranded to Halo at the last minute.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 27, 2024, 09:08:46 pm »

F in chat for Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragonball.

what's the best way to get all the dragon ball series for watching?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67