Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 101459 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:13 pm »

Oh man. The first time I tried watching Trailer Park Boys I thought it was shit, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I was only recently convinced to give it another shot. Now? I just finished season 4 and I'm loving it. Plenty of honest-to-goodness LOLs and it has to be one of the most quotable shows of all time.

I guess it just took some getting into. Funnily enough, I had a similar experience with BoJack Horseman a year or two ago- I tried watching it whilst really baked, expecting some zany, over-the-top comedy and instead got a deep and thoughtful show where most of the humour was in the dialogue. Not what I expected or wanted at all, so I gave up on it pretty much immediately. Then, ages later someone convinced me to give it a shot in a better frame of mind and once I took their advice it quickly became a favourite show of mine.
Here it's kind of the opposite scenario - my expectations were perhaps a  bit too highbrow or something.
This show's brow is definitely perhaps the lowest of the low, although it is still quite clever at times if you pay attention.

Now, I think I'm going to watch the new episode of Rick and Morty before deciding whether to watch more TPB or finish the ridiculous kung fu film I started the other night. Also, BoJack season four is finally coming out next month, apparently. It's about damn time.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:38:28 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2017, 10:58:49 am »

Shield - Season 3
It's definitely had some strong moments. The show kind of concerns me with how crazy things are getting. You don't see anything about Inhumans appearing in the movies but it's public knowledge in the show. It also further stretches itself from the Netflix shows. There was always a subtle X-Com vibe but it's really hammered down at this point. Strongly recommend this show especially this season for XCOM fans.

Daredevil - Season 1
Like everything I'm seeing. Watching it with a friend and they are slow.

Defenders - Season 1
I really liked it :-)

Atypical - Season 1
I'm enjoying it.

13 Reasons Why
Really good. Really like the protagonist.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:04 am »

You don't see anything about Inhumans appearing in the movies but it's public knowledge in the show.

I think that the show is officially not cannon to the movies.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2017, 01:26:51 pm »

You don't see anything about Inhumans appearing in the movies but it's public knowledge in the show.

I think that the show is officially not cannon to the movies.
The movies are canon to the show, though?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2017, 03:06:15 am »

From what I understand, officially both are canon to each other - they're all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe - but due to differing production times making it hard (some would say impossible) to keep them consistent and aligned, plus some sorta feud between the two camps, in practice they're kept separate with the movies getting priority when it comes to ensuring they don't interfere with each other.  So the movies pretty much completely ignore the tv shows while the tv shows only make the occasional vague or veiled reference to events/characters in the movies.

Me, I've been binge-watching a lot lately.  Over the course of a week or so I watched the entirety of Orphan Black; I'd already seen seasons 1-4, but decided to do the whole thing again before starting season 5 since that's it over now.  It's awfully good and I'm pretty satisfied with its conclusion (plus Tatiana Maslany is some sort of wizard). 

Then I binged the Defenders last weekend.  I'd rank it roughly in the middle in terms of the Netflix Marvel shows; Daredevil and Jessica Jones series 1 are tied top for me, Iron Fist is at the bottom, with Daredevil series 2, Luke Cage, and Defenders jostling in between.  It was good to see all the characters acknowledge Danny Rand as a "thundering dumbass" - it wasn't always clear whether his own series was aware of what an incompetent buffoon they were portraying him as - and the interactions between them all was fun (Luke/Danny and Matt/Jessica especially). 

And this weekend I'm halfway through season 3 of Fargo, which as expected is also very good.

In between I'm watching seasons 3 of Killjoys and Dark Matter, but I'm not binge-watching those two, just once a week as they air.  Neither are exactly the next big thing in sci-fi, but they're both pretty enjoyable in their own right.

I'm very productive with my time.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2017, 08:45:14 am »

Game Of Thrones and OK: K.O.

Not much else is been able to hold my interest recently.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2017, 09:30:18 am »

Watching The Defenders.

What happens if Supervillains attack like Seattle or any other city thats not New York?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »

The Orville

The previews led me to expect a comedic spoof of Star Trek. And indeed, to an extent that's what it is. Episode 3 however has shown that this show can also be very serious and dramatic. It was not at all what I expected...but I hope to see more like it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2017, 10:41:41 pm »

Orville was/is great. Hope they get renewed for a full season.

ALSO, has anyone watched Star Trek: Discovery? It too, is not at all what I expected and I find that I am pleasantly surprised with the first two episodes. I hope we also get a full season (or at least 8 more eps) to really be able to see if Star Trek is back.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »

Just finished watching the Frankenstein Chronicles, a pretty good 19th century murder investigation-ish show starring Sean Bean.

Spoiler: spoilers! (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »

I am rewatching Star Trek Enterprise, currently watching season 3.

Enterprise season 3 and 4 are actually pretty good. At least they dare having an actual storyline instead of voyagers reset button every episode.

Also watching Orville and Star Trek Discovery.

Star Trek Discovery episode 1 and 2 were really good and I love to see more.

Orville I am not sure yet, episode 3 was kinda meh.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »

Way too many new shows/seasons lately...

Dirk Gently
Outlander
Inhumans
The Gifted
Flash
Gotham
Legends of Tomorrow
Better Things
Your the Worst
Supernatural
Supergirl
Shannara Chronicles
Mr Robot
Designated Survivor
The Mick
South Park
Star Trek Discovery
Luicifer

And probably a few more I'm forgetting...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2017, 04:54:19 am »

What? Shannara Chronicles got another season?

But it was so bad.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2017, 05:35:23 am »

What? Shannara Chronicles got another season?

But it was so bad.

I've read some Terry Brooks novels, those novels were so bad too. Writing felt hammy I think, it was a long while ago. Basically if the books were as hammy as I recall then ... probably the fans of that shit think it's good, not bad. However ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shannara_Chronicles#Critical_response

They had a 70% drop-off from last season. Ratings were pretty consistent throughout the first season, but only about 1/3rd of the people who stuck around for the finale last time have picked up the new episode.

One review says it might suit if you want a teen-friendly Game of Thrones. There's no guessing this only got made because Game of Thrones was a hit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:42:27 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2017, 06:44:17 am »

But it's nothing like GoT, unless the only qualifier you give GoT is "fantasy". I mean, technically GoT is nothing like GoT was any more either, but still!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67