Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104490 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #585 on: December 20, 2020, 07:12:01 am »

The Expanse is back with season 5! First 3 episodes are available now.

Swithering whether to watch or wait until more episodes are out.

Same with Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) season 4, which is weekly release now. How the hell they're going to finish all the material in one season...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2021, 12:26:17 am »

I momentarily forgot about its January 1st release date, but yesterday (the 3rd) I finally sat down to watch season three of Cobra Kai - after chucking on the Cobra Kai shirt I bought from Wish of course, haha.   
It is good, as expected. Dials up the cheese at times almost to the point that you can't take it seriously, but stays there walking the fine line where in still remains in "strangely awesome" territory. It's like some kind of magic. Sadly, though, there are only ten short episodes and I've already watched, like, seven before I forced myself to stop and save some.   

Pretty sure production of the next season is already underway, but still. Guess I'll be back to scrounging for other series to watch before long - or perhaps I could go back for a rewatch from the very beginnings? Could be fun.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to receive a better copy of Snowfall season two. I re-watched the first season, then made a start on the second which was going well, but just when things started ramping up in a big way I became unable to source working subtitles. Ugh.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #587 on: January 19, 2021, 11:00:22 am »

Watched Alice in Borderland, the show is really, really fun. Watched Peaky Blinders and ditto, but I lost interest after the Russian season. McMafia is also a bloody treat, because I'm a sucker for people inheriting positions of grand responsibility where they're totally out of their depth

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 10, 2021, 08:35:53 pm »

I finished watching Sabrina season 4.

Overall pretty good. Lots of worldbuilding and character development, despite a slightly tedious monster-of-the-week vibe.
I really disliked the ending though. MC dies, slowly, to minor injuries. A family full of witches who don't even try to heal her, through magic or otherwise. Necromancers in her family, and they don't make any effort to bring her back, after going to ridiculous lengths for her throughout the season. And then her boyfriend, whom she barely had a relationship with, commits suicide so that he can join her in Heaven. Yeah, there's a lot that doesn't track in that ending.

Season 4 was the last, with Netflix giving the show the axe. Apparently they intend to continue the story in comic book form, but I'm just not interested enough to keep following through the transition.

I also finished binging the current 2.5 seasons of American Gods.
Nobody warned me there would be erect penises.  :-[

The premise is that gods are created, empowered and sustained by human faith and sacrifice. America has brought new ideas related to technology and media, thus creating new gods associated with these ideas. But the old gods are not content to simply fade into obscurity, and thus a war of the gods begins. And of course such a story would not be complete without hapless mortals getting screwed over on a cosmic scale. Throw in a few demigods for good measure, because there's always at least one god in every pantheon who can't keep it in his pants.

The first season had a lot of little side stories about various gods and the people affected by them; some of which tied in to the main story, others just exist to fill time. I really appreciated these stories, though I can see how some might find them an unwelcome distraction from the main plot. These mini-stories are mostly gone from seasons two and three, for better or for worse.

The plot twists are predictable, especially if you come in with previous knowledge of the gods and their ways. Fairly enjoyable to see the pieces fall into place anyway.

I've enjoyed this show, but I'm somewhat worried about it's fate after losing several of the biggest actors between seasons 2 and 3. The gods can change their faces, so it's not too difficult for the writers to accommodate. But they lost a lot of popular talent, and I'm not entirely confident that the replacements will hold up.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #589 on: February 20, 2021, 07:34:55 am »

WandaVision...

Man do I hate seeing the credits pop up, can definitely respect those that wait. Though the weekly format does offer a lot of fun in terms of speculation. Overall I prefer it! (But I'll be excited to have the whole season at my fingertips too)

WestWorld...

Been going back to this. Life distracted me from going very far so I am giving it another go. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

The Expanse...

The little show that could. It doesn't seem particularly ambitious from scene to scene, but in culmination it tells a grand story, and the characters go through so much...  Fun scifi.

Resident Alien...

What a fun comedy show. Most lose my interest but I am always eager to see next week's episode. I hear it will have Linda Hamilton. SOO looking forward to that. She was one of the better elements in the luke warm Terminator: Dark Fate, so I look forward to seeing what see can do with a subversive show for the serious general she'll be portraying.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 20, 2021, 06:02:16 pm »

Atlanta, Season Two. I'm excited to have it after about three years of waiting for the DVD to be at the library in my area.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 01, 2021, 03:46:42 am »

I finished watching Your Honor.

It's basically Breaking Bad. Malcolm's dad stumbles into a precariously illegal situation and then keeps digging himself in deeper, with lots of dramatic close calls.
But unlike Breaking Bad, this one ends after 1 season with lots of loose threads left dangling. It's a fun ride, but hard to recommend after that conclusion.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 01, 2021, 03:55:24 am »

I started watching Superstore. It's dumb but I like it. Basically a tv show about the people working in Walmart, getting up to !zany! hijinks.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2021, 11:45:04 am »

Let's talk WandaVision!

At first I didn't much care for it, like I mostly stopped caring about MCU stuff after Endgame because it felt like a bigass story was just done with all the proper sendoffs and whatnot, only for them to turn around and milk it some more, except without most of the compelling characters. Then some folks started raving about it and I had some free time so I decided to give it a shot, was only 9 episodes anyways.

And it's pretty good IMO, serves to flesh out the characters, introduces some new ones I guess, moves stuff forward. That said I have some issues with it, big and small.

Spoiler: Here be spoilers (click to show/hide)

Still, despite those, I'd say it was a pretty good watch, if nothing, the first half of it was a brilliant thing and is worth watching on its own.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »

I finished watching WandaVision. Was going to skip it initially because the name didn't grab me...but Jopax convinced me.

Overall a very decent addition to the Marvel live-action timeline. Though I feel the need to recommend skipping the first three episodes. They are fairly tedious, and the very few relevant parts get recapped in episode 4.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 08, 2021, 05:06:45 pm »

Just watched a documentary about a cultish Waldorf school here in Sweden.

Crazy fucking people.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 08, 2021, 07:50:36 pm »

Crazy fucking people.

cultish? Why would anyone consider these people cultish?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 08, 2021, 08:40:45 pm »

I started watching Superstore. It's dumb but I like it. Basically a tv show about the people working in Walmart, getting up to !zany! hijinks.
Ugh, personally I hated that show. I watched an entire episode wanting to like it.   
A lot of the humour was the sort of thing that's been done before more successfully, but the main thing I took objection to was the main character. Are we really supposed to be rooting for this absolute jackwagon!? Right from the start he's making an arse of himself, harassing his new coworker and taking every opportunity to skive off work. And then, towards the end of the episode, it's revealed that the reason he hasn't been seen for fricking hours while everyone else has been working their butts off is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good grief.   

Uh, yeah, rant over I guess. I think on some subconscious level I've been quietly seething ever since I watched it, but haven't actually had anyone to properly discuss the show's glaring shortcomings with. ^-^   

I think wheelchair dude was the show's one saving grace, 100%.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 09, 2021, 04:41:00 am »

Crazy fucking people.

cultish? Why would anyone consider these people cultish?

It 200% confirmed all my prejudice against Waldorf schools and the people who lead them. Terrible fucking people, never a thought about the children, completely irresponsible.

It's called De utvalda barnen, "The Chosen Children", but it's probably not available abroad yet as it's just being aired here. Basically it's made by a guy in his 40's maybe who used to think he had the perfect childhood/school-going, but who after making a face book group for the school starts to discover that not nearly everyone else who went there had the same happy memories that he did (he was one of the titular "Chosen Children"). It's in three parts and I've only seen the first so far, but it basically appears to have been Lord of the Flies except with music and singing, up to including teacher sanctioned beatings of unpopular kids. One woman described how she rembered she used to run to get to the classroom first, not because she loved learning so much but so she could get there before anyone else so she could hide on top/behind something (I didn't catch what) and spend the whole day hidden there.

Absolutely insane.
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 14, 2021, 07:57:58 pm »

I finished watching first season of Amazon's The Wilds.
It's a show about a bunch of teenage girls stranded on an island. Each episode focuses on one of the girls, juxtaposing her tragic backstory with present struggles on the island, and a bit of their future after getting off the island.

The teen girl interactions can be a bit cringe, especially in the early episodes, but it pays off later in the season as the mystery of their circumstances begins to unfold and we begin to see some real character growth.

I would recommend this one, if you can stomach the girl-drama. Season 2 is greenlit and hoped to arrive before the end of this year.

I also finished the first two seasons of Epix's Britannia.
This one is swords and low-sorcery story, set in old Britain about 2000 years ago. So there's knights and castles and all that, but most of the focus of the show falls upon a group of Druids serving as pawns of the gods, and the unfolding of a prophecy that may change everything for them.

The whole prophecy thing takes away any sense of free agency, so most of the entertainment of this show comes from the characters expressing perpetual frustration at their inability to control their own fates. I found this to be quite entertaining, and eagerly await more.

Season 3 has been greenlit, and again is hoped to arrive this year.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 67