Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 101526 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #630 on: September 08, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »

I can't bring myself to hate on the new Trek shows. After all, they've given us all those hugely entertaining RLM reviews.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:24 pm »

Something good about new Discovery is that it is a show with good trans characters, which means a lot to some people >_>

There, now ya have learned something good about Discovery, instead of "nothing."

(Note that I'm not trying to convince anyone to enjoy it. I will say that I found Season 3 substantially better than the first two seasons, on just ... every level).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 08, 2021, 01:37:42 pm »

My main gripe with Discovery Season 3 was the introduction of tech that is basically just magic particles which can instantly form anything you want. I hated when Iron Man and Black Panther did that shit too.
Super-science needs limitations, or else you're just left wondering why these idiots don't throw nanobots at every problem to make everything all better.

I also wasn't thrilled with evil Georgiou's redemption arc. Like, she was a major antagonist in the previous seasons, guilty of all kinds of major atrocities, and now everybody just trusts her gets along with her? No. That is not okay.

And the general way that they pass around leadership roles on a whim, with absolutely no regard for Starfleet regulations. I get that they're trying to go for big emotional moments or whatever, but I'm just not feeling it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 08, 2021, 07:02:07 pm »

All good points, Folly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 08, 2021, 07:15:48 pm »

Picard is the worse of the two really, because putting in basically the greatest space hero of all time in a dystopic future is... well, obviously depressing. Everything this man has fought for is gone, and the idealism of TOS/TNG is lost completely.

Discovery is bad because it lacks direction and quality writing. Many of the characters are actually quite compelling, both despite themselves and despite the trash-tier writing. Graphics were upgraded, but it's come at the cost of set design and deviation from many of the values that made old trek great--I.E. it's just corporatized, lobotomized trek. I never saw season 3 or most of season 2... but having just come off binging TNG + DS9 + VOY for the first time right before Discovery came out: boy was that disheartening.

EDIT: IMO, it's so much "darker and grittier" than old trek that it is really like a mirror universe. Which is funny because DIS's mirror universe is 40k-lite.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:17:58 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 10, 2021, 07:51:40 pm »

I'm gonna continue to say that I think at least watching the first episode of S3 is a good idea because it's very different from the previous ones. If you hate it -- no problem, point is simply that the tone and characters are pretty distinct.

I'm excited to watch and be disappointed by Strange New Worlds. Ahahahaha.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 13, 2021, 08:56:27 am »

The X files, well just the myth arc.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 23, 2021, 12:31:31 pm »

I finished catching up on Apple TV's 1.5 current seasons of See. It's really good!

The premise is that a virus wiped out most of humanity, effectively resetting cultures and technology, and also leaving the remnants of humanity entirely blind. Flash forward some generations and we get to see how civilization has adapted to the blind life, and how they respond when a few sighted people begin to emerge. The worldbuilding is great, the action is brutally violent, and the drama is consistently engaging.

Much as I loathe all things Apple, I gotta give this one a big thumbs up.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 04, 2021, 10:37:44 am »

Been lately rewatching The Black Adder for the first time since the 90s. Still works for me (mostly) and I'm getting some ideas for a Warhammer Fantasy RP campaign I'm planning. In fact there's been quite a few gags that can be found as Easter Eggs in some books.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 04, 2021, 02:36:45 pm »

Been lately rewatching The Black Adder for the first time since the 90s. Still works for me (mostly) and I'm getting some ideas for a Warhammer Fantasy RP campaign I'm planning. In fact there's been quite a few gags that can be found as Easter Eggs in some books.

I'd like to remind everyone here that canonically Edmund Blackadder becomes king of england thanks to a descendant changing history with a time machine
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2021, 06:22:32 pm »

I've binged four seasons of Downton Abbey. Lord help me.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 23, 2021, 07:50:41 pm »

Another Apple TV show, Foundation recently finished it's first season. And it's another excellent watch.

Foundation is a sci-fi show that spans space and time to tell the story of harsh dictators reigning over a massive empire of thousands of planets, a scientist scheming to overthrow them, and some extraordinary individuals caught in the middle.
It's a story full of unexpected twists and dramatic surprises. I very much enjoyed this first season, and am eagerly awaiting the already approved second season.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 23, 2021, 07:53:09 pm »

Wait shit, they made a show of that?

I read the books, and they were pretty good.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 23, 2021, 07:55:59 pm »

Gunsmoke

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 24, 2021, 06:24:10 am »

A while ago I noticed this LoL show on Netflix, called Arcane. Game inspired shows are never good, so it was odd to see a 100% score on rottentomatoes. Went and checked it out. And boy, is it beautiful or what.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 67