Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 103736 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #735 on: June 24, 2022, 11:06:14 am »

I'm a 60s-Star-Trek-only kind of jerk and it's because they made episodes that spoke to real problems that people were having at the time that the show was written.

Have you checked out The Orville?
Just 4 episodes into the third season and they've already tackled racism, suicide, abortion, inappropriate workplace romance, fake news and politics. All while still making time for mysterious space-monsters and holodeck shenanigans.

It's a very strong season so far.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:46 am »

I saw a couple of episodes when the first season came out but got sick of the pairing in the middle of it real fast. I should try seeing some more huh :V

(I will say that I texted my friend repeatedly about the orchestral arrangement. I was extremely impressed.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 26, 2022, 01:34:15 am »

My wife and I decided to watch the Marvel Universe things in timeline order.

Finished off the movies, most of which are pretty good, and I’m glad one of the things that really bothered me in Infinity War was explored and rectified in Endgame, even if Endgame was a bit underwhelming as an end to everything, partly because my favourite character dies.

Anyhow, watched Loki which I had been looking forward to low key, and was hugely disappointed. Bad acting, bad writing, I don’t know if there was some bad directing because of how Tom Hiddleston was acting in some scenes or if he really just isn’t that good an actor if he has to do more than overact as a villain, though again, with what he had to work with…

Not all that enamoured with the first couple of episodes of What If either, but as my wife said, they’ve already told the story, there’s not much point exploring scenarios that didn’t happen, even excusing the gaping plot hole in the first episode and the Mary Sue-esque escapades in the second.

WandaVision received a rave review from the BBC, but based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m thinking I may need to lower my expectations.

Also, as a big Star Wars fan, I am getting quite anxious about what this may mean for the quality of those series.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:58 am »

Obi Wan Kenobi has loads of rave reviews, but I wouldn't buy into the hype. It's quite good in places, but not stellar (in the five episodes I've seen).
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 27, 2022, 05:45:30 am »

I haven't seen either Mandalorian or Obi-Wan, but while my impressions of Mandalorian is mostly good by expectations on Obi-Wan can be summed up with these two images:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first one and the budget store pinhead in the second one are supposed to be the same species, as they appear in Episode III and Obi-Wan respectively.

And sure, it's ridiculous to expect blockbuster movie production values for a tv-show. But really, Disney, was all you could muster a make up job that would have looked lazy in Star Trek: TNG, let alone 40 years later?
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 08, 2022, 03:28:59 pm »

Just started watching The Boys.  Impressed so far.

Spoiler: edit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:36:40 pm by McTraveller »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 09, 2022, 10:19:36 pm »

I just finished watching all three current seasons of Snowpiercer.

I avoided this show until recently because all I picked up from the ads and commercials was that it's a show about a train in the snow. And that just failed to grab my interest. So allow me to explain briefly what this show is about.
Snowpiercer is set in a world where scientists attempt to combat global warming by inducing global cooling. They overshoot, and the entire world ends up 200 degrees below 0. As things are cooling down, a super-rich guy hires a brilliant engineer to build a magic train with a perpetual engine, which generates more power than it consumes. So the train can keep going forever without fuel, and as long as it's going fast enough the passengers have heat and electricity.
Within the train, 1001 cars long, is an entire ecosystem; complete with gardens and pastures housing plants and animals to provide the various creature comforts that the humans onboard require. Still, limited resources and the fact that half of the passengers are wealthy elitist assholes leads to inevitable fighting between the various factions that form onboard Snowpiercer. And that drama is what the show is about.

One of my most noteworthy takeaways from this show is that is feels like every episode has a different writer, with nobody in charge to keep things orderly. Rivalries and romances are initiated almost every episode, only to be forgotten or contradicted in the next episode. Big mysteries are built up, and then never resolved. It can be rather disorienting at times. But this also kind of helps keep things moving along, without ever getting bogged down. So it's not entirely unforgivable.

Overall, Snowpiercer was a fairly enjoyable watch. And I'll be tuning back in for Season 4, which seems poised to be the last.

I also just finished Season 3 of The Boys.

This one focused on Homelander's origins, and an effort by The Boys to finally remove him from the picture.
We got a look at Black Noir's origins as well, which were every bit as messy and f'ed up as we've come to expect from this IP.
This season also had The Boys stumble upon the identity of the Head Popper, completely by random chance, and then do absolutely nothing with that knowledge the rest of the season. Which I found infuriating.
My main gripe with this season was how Homelander's son changed sides after a weak 15-second speech, and absolutely no other buildup. That little plotline definitely could have benefited from more time.
Also, I'm not really sure where they're going with The Deep. I kinda felt like his entire purpose existing in this season was to watch him suffer as retribution for what he did in Season 1. And it's become wearisome.

Still, this season deleted a few old characters, brought others back into the picture, expanded the world lore both backwards and forwards. Overall I'm quite happy, and looking forward to more.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 09, 2022, 10:30:58 pm »

...Huh.  I didn't know they were making a series based on the movie.

Season 4..?!  It's already a small setting!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 09, 2022, 10:35:35 pm »

...Huh.  I didn't know they were making a series based on the movie.

The movie was based on a French graphic novel. Lots of space for remixing based on the premise I think.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 10, 2022, 04:57:11 pm »

I finished watching Season 4 of Stranger Things.

I was fairly disappointed with seasons 2 and 3. They felt like mere iterations upon the first season; slightly bigger and meaner versions of the same monsters and mysteries without really adding anything new. So I went into Season 4 expecting more of the same, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Season 4 finally answers many of the longstanding questions about the origins of Eleven, and the connection between Hawkins and the Upside Down. The fourth season also set the scene in a big way for the fifth and final season.

I almost slept on this one, but I'm glad I came back to Stranger Things and can't wait for the finale!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2022, 01:45:35 am »

So, I binged and finished off The Boys.

I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 11, 2022, 06:16:43 am »

So, I binged and finished off The Boys.

I've only seen a few random clips from the last couple seasons, and the general feeling I'm getting from seeing somebody die is that

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 11, 2022, 01:18:27 pm »

the general feeling I'm getting from seeing somebody die is that

That is the general motto of pretty much any superhero story. And indeed, in The Boys all supes seem to have some degree of healing factor, and this most recent season did establish that organ transplants are a thing for supes. Still, Black Noir experienced...

So yeah, we may see Black Noir again. On the other hand, massive-overkill deaths and dealing with loss a also very much what The Boys is about.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 11, 2022, 04:45:14 pm »

In the comic books V infusions could be used as a resurrection serum on dead heroes. All of the ones brought back were zombie like and brain damaged
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 11, 2022, 05:14:07 pm »

I. . . am watching RuPaul's Drag Race :V

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 67