Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accuracy of bolts  (Read 1425 times)

PecosBill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accuracy of bolts
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:09:27 pm »

Ever looked at a hunting report?

I was looking over a report of my hunter, who has been hunting nonstop for about 2 years, versus a marmot, which according to wikipedia is about the size of a groundhog.

The poor thing died in a hail of bolts, getting its little tendons slashed, vomiting everywhere, waking up and getting knocked back out, as my expert hunter expended what looked like dozens of shots.

I was thinking that an expert hunter should probably be able to kill a marmot in about one shot.

He's a legendary marksdwarf and legendary archer.

Oh, here's a summary of him versus a mountain goat, too:
Shot #1: right rear leg, goat gives in to pain and falls over
Shot #2: left rear leg
Shot #3: lower body, tearing muscle and stomach
Shot #4: left ear
Shot #5: lower body, right kidney
Shot #6: Right rear leg
Shot #7: Left front leg
Shot #8: head, brain

Poor little goat!  I think my dwarf is using his marksman skill as a form of sadism.  I suspect that his 8th shot was actually trying to take out the goat's last remaining leg when he accidentally shot it in the head.

I was thinking marksmanship should give a bonus to hitting vital areas (didn't it used to?).  Maybe the sheer number of possible hit locations has made it unrealistically improbable to hit a vital area.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »

Your theory is probably accurate. There's currently nothing stopping civvers from using a crossbow like any other weapon, so they'll just fire it continously until dead. Ideally, hunters would behave uniquely, trying to disable creatures and then moving in for the kill.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »

This is why I've started training hunting animals.  Once the creature is disabled from a few bolts, the dogs will be pretty safe and can take down the prey.

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:05:45 pm »

I believe all attacks hit body parts at random. There may be factors that influence which body parts can be hit, for example I've heard that dwarves are too short to attack a giant's head unless it's on the ground, and that large weapons like maces can't hit small parts like eyes. However, I'm certain that there is nothing that makes dwarves or anything else intentionally strike vital parts, I think it's just luck. If you've played adventure mode in the new version with a blunt weapon you'll see what I'm taking about.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:20:29 pm »

I've seen that plenty of times before. Marksdorfs without melee backup will happily make a pincushion out of their targets without so much as a thought wasted about actually killing them. Death by bleeding is, as always, the usual death  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!