Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Children waterfall  (Read 16317 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Children waterfall
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:19:23 am »

Especially since most of the women would go insaneNevermind, giving birth negates the effects of the child's death, I should remember that from THE INCIDENT.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 07:51:39 am »

Breeding factories!

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:05 am »

So I had diverted this waterfall into an aqueduct, but recently I needed to service it. I had managed to reduce the waterflow to almost nil, the occasional 2 in a large stream of stagnant 1's. At this point I figured it was safe to deconstruct about... 15 wall segments at once. And since I keep all my adult workers busy, the only one's to respond are children, so after each wall piece was deconstructed the dwarf was knocked out into a 15 z-level drop, and exploded on impact on the shallow river below.

Luckily no important dwarves were lost.

This is Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:11 am »

Generally to get a constant stream with something so rare and..."precious" :P
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:41 am »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:12 am »

When I first saw the thread title, I only jokingly thought that it would be a waterfall OF children. I was pleased to see I was right.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 04:55:41 am »

If anyone wants to go for this, I saw a thread for a conveyor belt made of bridges floating around here.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 08:01:14 am »

A childfall shouldn't be too hard to do - just put all your married dwarf women on 1x1 pillars in the river. When they give birth the baby will appear on one of the eight tiles around them, fall into the water and be swept away down the fall.
hard to get a constant stream that way
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

I can barely believe I just suggested that.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 09:06:36 am »

A childfall shouldn't be too hard to do - just put all your married dwarf women on 1x1 pillars in the river. When they give birth the baby will appear on one of the eight tiles around them, fall into the water and be swept away down the fall.
hard to get a constant stream that way
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

I can barely believe I just suggested that.
Well, that looks like signature material to me...
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 11:04:04 am »

You could probably do it with kittens, and it would keep them away from kittenless dwarves.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 07:21:57 am »

You could probably do it with kittens, and it would keep them away from kittenless dwarves.

yeah and at least that would keep the newborn kittens from adopting dwarves, seeing that they instantly die not a minute after birth.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 08:06:29 am »

Well in order to get water to carry the baby dwarfs to their death you will need to make the water vary a bit in depth.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 10:27:01 am »

How are you going to keep the mothers in place while the babies are swept away?

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:15 pm »

How are you going to keep the mothers in place while the babies are swept away?

Tie them? Kinky.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »

dwarfs don't path into water just drop a kitten first and then drop a dwarf mother on top of it (that way the dwarf mother won't get hurt) then all you need to do is regulary drop food suplies (and beer) down if you give this dwarf a bed then that might even help the situation to a point where they can be quite happy. (especially when this is done on an adamantine wall piece)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 [2] 3