Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 33899 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:52 am »

Sorry, but so far all I saw Blizzard produce is market milking. Good at that, yea, but not interesting in the least. Personally, I think their games aren't worth playing. And as a company...dunno. To all appearances, they're just out for profit, and therefore this wink to DF is fringe marketing tactics.
But apparently blizzard themselves...although maybe that's just a little marketing stunt.
It's an easter egg, a simple reference. They aren't going to get one single sale out of it.

Get over yourselves.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:32:34 am »

Its too late, I already bought 2 million copies.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:35 am »

Different tastes, I suppose. Aside from WoW (tried the trial, found it boring), I haven't been disappointed by a Blizzard game yet. I got more fun out of the SC2 beta alone already than I got from most other games.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:08 am »

I want to see a boatmurdered reference in Diablo III.

Like, a dungeon in the darkest pits of hell.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:25 am »

It's an easter egg, a simple reference. They aren't going to get one single sale out of it.

Get over yourselves.

They get attention out of it. And possibly subconsciously positive sentiments about their game or their company.

Never trust a profit-seeking entity.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:32 am »

A screen shot for the curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greetings m0nster

To be honest I don't think that is a reference. The guy is only stocky not really dwarf like. Unless there is more to back it up :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

Get over yourselves.

They get attention out of it. And possibly subconsciously positive sentiments about their game or their company.

Yeah, I mean, this obscure and unknown "Starcraft 2" game might go unnoticed if it didn't cash in on the massive publicity of Dwarf Fortress. ;)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:16 am »

More like "Maybe we can motivate some of those screwballs to try our game", simply put. But whatever, really :P
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:07 am »

I

Get over yourselves.

I don't trust corporations. I do, however, have some marginal trust in game-developers, even those working for corporations.

It seems far more likely that a couple of SC2 Devs have played DF and decided to give it a fun little nod, than that Bobby Kotick sat down with his team of marketing experts to ask "How can we get those dwarf-loving nerds to give me money... I mean buy our game?"

Yeah, sure, Blizzard does gain from encouraging/allowing devs to include easter eggs and pop culture references, but criticizing them for that is like criticizing them for profiting by making good games.

To be honest I don't think that is a reference. The guy is only stocky not really dwarf like. Unless there is more to back it up :)
Something more, like the giant Bay 12 sign?

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:52 am »

More like "Maybe we can motivate some of those screwballs to try our game", simply put. But whatever, really :P

Really. I'm completely sure that isn't the logic behind it.
Besides, Blizzard has always been known for fun hidden references to just about everything.

Personally, I think it's a great nod!
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Rube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:46 am »

Um... easter eggs like this are generally the work of some bored artist/writer/level designer. The texture artist was probably asked to come up with some generic spaceship textures, and threw in the bay12 thing as a laugh. Because why not?

The marketing team don't sit around having brainstorming sessions for viral marketing easter eggs. The majority of the people who see it have already bought the game, for a start... and then the questionable and limited good-will generated from a very subtle reference that very few players will notice or get would probably earn less money than it cost to arrange the whole viral marketing easter egg thing in the first place.

And seriously, Dwarf Fortress? There's probably somewhere like 5000-10000 DF players total, going on download amounts that Toady's revealed in the past. If they were trying to sell Starcraft 2 through easter eggs that people will only see once they've bought the game anyway (which I wouldn't put past the intelligence of the average salesman), they'd pick a franchise with millions of fans. Perhaps Master Chief and Solid Snake moonlighting as cleaners on the bridge of the Hyperion or something.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:32 am »

Blizzard's endless references make me happy.

I want to see a boatmurdered reference in Diablo III.

Like, a dungeon in the darkest pits of hell.
THIS!! THIS!! FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK, THIS!!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »

Am I really one of the only persons on this forum who in fact enjoy the games created by Blizzard?
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:13 pm »

I'm not really convinced this is a reference to DF.  It might be a case of seeing connections where none exist, just because you play DF too much.   :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »

Bay 10! That's 2 numbers away from 12!
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11