Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 33902 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2010, 01:53:11 pm »

I could be wrong, but I thought that the precedent was if the song was different by 12% then it was kosher. Generally people remixing will use a lot less than that so as to stay out of the risky zone.

And seriously, if they remixing the DF song for the waiting music... That is hilariously amazing. I mean, THAT is a stretch for referencing. If that music is in fact DF music remixed, I will claim 100% that the Bay 12 and Swann being a miner is a DF reference, because that's just finesse. Haha

This one's thorny, but if they remixed it, it's like a band covering another band. It's like OC Remix, or various Youtube remixes. It's not the original song.

Edit: The best thing Toady could do in response is ask Blizzard to simply acknowledge "Dwarf Fortress" somewhere in the mix. No copyright pain, no unwinnable/painful lawsuits, and a zergswarm of Google hits.
True, but they wouldn't have to.

I called blizzard support and heard the Dwarf Fortress music as some of the please hold music.  Though it sounded better.  Like they had improved it somehow. Maybe it was my head playing tricks on me.  I was anxious to play SC2 and had just spent 45mins holding the line.  The help line guy knew nothing of DF, incidentally.

Which number did you call?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:56:01 pm by Tylui »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

Guys if Toady told them he wasn't happy with the use of his music, they'd just stop using it.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »

Guys if Toady told them he wasn't happy with the use of his music, they'd just laugh.

fix'd

SilverLight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2010, 02:42:47 pm »

I could be wrong, but I thought that the precedent was if the song was different by 12% then it was kosher. Generally people remixing will use a lot less than that so as to stay out of the risky zone.

And seriously, if they remixing the DF song for the waiting music... That is hilariously amazing. I mean, THAT is a stretch for referencing. If that music is in fact DF music remixed, I will claim 100% that the Bay 12 and Swann being a miner is a DF reference, because that's just finesse. Haha

This one's thorny, but if they remixed it, it's like a band covering another band. It's like OC Remix, or various Youtube remixes. It's not the original song.

Edit: The best thing Toady could do in response is ask Blizzard to simply acknowledge "Dwarf Fortress" somewhere in the mix. No copyright pain, no unwinnable/painful lawsuits, and a zergswarm of Google hits.
True, but they wouldn't have to.

I called blizzard support and heard the Dwarf Fortress music as some of the please hold music.  Though it sounded better.  Like they had improved it somehow. Maybe it was my head playing tricks on me.  I was anxious to play SC2 and had just spent 45mins holding the line.  The help line guy knew nothing of DF, incidentally.

Which number did you call?

The one on this page: https://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
You'll have to login to battle.net to see it I expect. (the contact us at the bottom of the support page).
Specifically the one under Support/US Account & Billing.

I'd really like people to call and see if they hear it too, i'd like confirmation that i'm not crazy.  Maybe even someone could get a recording of it - that'd be awesome.

I don't see why toady would have an issue with them using it - it's flattering.  I doubt blizz would really be making any money from doing that anyway, and wouldn't cause anyone to lose money from it either.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2010, 04:10:51 am »

12% is a bullshit number. There's no hard and fast way to measure percentage-based "similarity", much less a rule about 12%.

Fair use is real, but it's based on four factors:
       1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
       2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
       3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
       4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

It passes 1, but just barely, as it isn't a commercial (here meaning for-profit, in a way that enhances profit, etc) use.
It doesn't really pass 2
3 is what you were talking about; it's only one factor, and it's more about how important the portion used is to the work as a whole, rather than an arbitrary number.
4 is more or less passed; can't argue that their use diminishes the value or market for Toady's work.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2012, 08:00:04 am »

I want to see a boatmurdered reference in Diablo III.

Like, a dungeon in the darkest pits of hell.

NECROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.diablowiki.com/The_Burning_Axe_of_Sankis
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2012, 09:19:01 am »

http://www.diablowiki.com/Gravedigger%27s_Log

This seems to me to be a DF reference also.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »

I want to see a boatmurdered reference in Diablo III.

Like, a dungeon in the darkest pits of hell.

NECROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.diablowiki.com/The_Burning_Axe_of_Sankis
That's actually pretty funny. I can imagine it being a rather effective mid-game weapon.

Of course, if it allowed for one to cause harm to the wielder's own teammates uncontrollably (targeting them as well as enemies), it would be even more epic as a side-effect curse.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:40:18 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]