Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 33910 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »

Am I really one of the only persons on this forum who in fact enjoy the games created by Blizzard?

I enjoy Blizzard games as well. Great eyecandy! Their games are always very pretty and very polished.

However they still cannot match the depth of gameplay of DF. I don't think anything can.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

It would be great to go crazy over a game again, but not a Blizzard fan or into RTS games overly much. If people have a good time with it, then all the power to them. Ahh... to truly enjoy a new game again. That would be the day. Not so uncommon in that glorified past seen through tinted glasses. Ahh well, the Crossbow Bolt of Time points in one direction.

---

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »

It's an easter egg, a simple reference. They aren't going to get one single sale out of it.

Get over yourselves.

They get attention out of it. And possibly subconsciously positive sentiments about their game or their company.

Never trust a profit-seeking entity.
That's right, you should never trust any business. They can never do anything for the purpose of whimsy or fun. Everything they do is either to make money or to make money indirectly. Clearly, this tiny reference that one would only find and realise as a reference if one were looking for it is an effort to make people buy a game on the simple fact that is contains a reference to Bay 12!

On a less mocking note, this reference gave me a smile. I suck at RTSs and don't find them all that fun, so I'll probably never buy SC2, unless I find it in some bargain bin. This reference did not convince me in any way to buy it. This is not advertising.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

It's an easter egg, a simple reference. They aren't going to get one single sale out of it.

Get over yourselves.

They get attention out of it. And possibly subconsciously positive sentiments about their game or their company.

Never trust a profit-seeking entity.
This is not advertising.
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is an advertisement for someone or something somewhere, positive or negative, effective or not, it's still advertising, take this post for example, am i being really deep and thought-provoking or encouraging you to watch the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (http://www.hulu.com/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia)?... That's Ridiculous! Why would I care if you watch the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (http://www.hulu.com/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia)?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »

It's possible that Bay 12 is a reference to Aliens (where Toady got the name), and the dwarf-looking guy is just a coincidence.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Akinari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »

Am I really one of the only persons on this forum who in fact enjoy the games created by Blizzard?
Its popular to start foaming at the mouth whenever Blizzard is mentioned on the internet, is all.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

Is there a lever in the room marked Bay 12 which vents all atmosphere into space and/or vents steaming hot plasma from the engines into the ship? If not, it isn't a Dwarf Fortress reference but merely a side effect of a space ship only being able to have so many hangar bays.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »

I strongly believe it is a reference to Bay 12 games.  Or at least bay 12 games subliminally influencing some artist.

In 'another popular blizzard game' there is an NPC named Boatmurdered holding designs for a Dwarven Fortress that is rendered in unusual symbols.  The name of the quest is "Dwarf Fortress".   

In the game's next expansion there are a pair of dwarves on a floating structure, talking about how the cataclysmic flooding is nothing compared to some of the floods in their fortress back home.  Where one of the dwarves apperantly built a floodgate from the wrong side and then tunneled into the dining room. The phrase "We were finding carp behind the furniture for a week!"* was uttered. 

*Don't quite recall if that last part of the quote is right

So yea, I'm highly doubtful the thing in Starcraft is unintentional.  Blizzard folks seem to be intimately knowledgeable of DF.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some forum posters are blizzard devs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:45 pm »

It's possible that Bay 12 is a reference to Aliens (where Toady got the name), and the dwarf-looking guy is just a coincidence.

Hello, mister logical explanation. It would be amusing to think it's a nod towards Toady but I doubt it. There are dwarf-like dudes in every Blizzard game.

What number would you give to a cargo bay in a game that has hivemind aliens... That's the reference.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

In 'another popular blizzard game' there is an NPC named Boatmurdered holding designs for a Dwarven Fortress that is rendered in unusual symbols.  The name of the quest is "Dwarf Fortress".   

Where, exactly?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »

No, i really love Diablo 2. That game stole so many hours...

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:14 pm »

It seems that way.  I'm honestly regretting making this thread after the amount of "OMG, THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE OUR MONIES THROUGH SUBLIMINAL MANIPULATION!" talk in here...

Jeeze, I was just fun about a little reference (to either Aliens or DF, or maybe both) that I had found and everyone starts going on about how anyone who tries to make a buck is evil and such.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 03:28:51 pm »

This pleases me immeasurably. 

edit:

Hello, mister logical explanation. It would be amusing to think it's a nod towards Toady but I doubt it. There are dwarf-like dudes in every Blizzard game.

What number would you give to a cargo bay in a game that has hivemind aliens... That's the reference.

I'd agree with you if we didn't have the overt DF references in WoW.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:31:34 pm by Balathustrius »
You have struck Microcline!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »

Where, exactly?

Ah, it seems I was partially wrong.  The quest also doenn't appear to be in until cata either.  I assumed it was in already and I just didn't see him because I never searched Bael'Dun fully.

This is the thread I got the info from.  Somewhat recent actually.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60989.0

And the mention of the Dwarf named Haggis Boatmurder, same thread.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60989.msg1391179#msg1391179
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »

It seems that way.  I'm honestly regretting making this thread after the amount of "OMG, THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE OUR MONIES THROUGH SUBLIMINAL MANIPULATION!" talk in here...

Jeeze, I was just fun about a little reference (to either Aliens or DF, or maybe both) that I had found and everyone starts going on about how anyone who tries to make a buck is evil and such.

It's fine that you made the thread. It's not so much that everyone who's been hating in this thread has said that Blizzard is evil because it tries to make money, some have said it's horrible because it makes bad games.

These latter people get my ire, because I can imagine a lot of this anti-Blizzard sentiment is a direct elitist backlash against World of Warcraft's popularity with the young'uns, rather than actually being a truly justified statement based on unhappy experiences. The original Starcraft has been the best RTS out there for the past decade or more with perhaps some under-the-radar exceptions (I loved Age of Empires II, personally). You can dislike it, but it'll be hard to say it's a BAD game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:38:43 pm by Protactinium »
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11