Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 34144 times)

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:28 pm »

Am I really one of the only persons on this forum who in fact enjoy the games created by Blizzard?
Its popular to start foaming at the mouth whenever Blizzard is mentioned on the internet, is all.

People love to hate what is popular.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »

Wow, yeah. My first response when I saw this thread was: "Oh, cool! That's great that there's another reference to DF in a big-name game"...

My second response was to look up StarCraft II, since I didn't even know there was such a thing :P

I thought Warcraft II was great and Warcraft III was amazing. I'm not a fan of World of Warcraft (I found it tedious and boring) but that's just me.

Blizzard have made games that are entertaining and fun for literally millions of people. Seems pretty cool to me?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 06:01:02 pm »

back then when i hanged out at war3sear.ch (now thehiveworkshop) warcraft players and modders already hated blizzard. i am of the opinion that wow was the worst thing that happened to warcraft and to the rts genre in general. i am also surprised that starcraft 2 came out before world of starcraft, but i am sure there aint gonna be a starcraft 3

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »

Thats a pretty cool homage to DF in SC2. As for the hate, people jus love to hate and if you got a whole group of people hating something, all the better to hate on it... bandwagon hate, thats really all it is.

Blizzard doesn't exactly make the type of games I generally like to play, but I do recognise their games as being fairly well polished, tested, and balanced.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »

I sold my copy of starcraft approximately after one day of trying to have fun playing it and I stopped playing Diablo II after the first chapter :/
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 06:39:14 pm »

warcraft 3 world editor allows you to make whatever game you want, tough. it's as powerful as the engine itself, i've seen racing games, first person shooters, even mmo's, all made in WE

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 07:51:53 pm »

It's possible that Bay 12 is a reference to Aliens (where Toady got the name), and the dwarf-looking guy is just a coincidence.

Hello, mister logical explanation. It would be amusing to think it's a nod towards Toady but I doubt it. There are dwarf-like dudes in every Blizzard game.

What number would you give to a cargo bay in a game that has hivemind aliens... That's the reference.

I'd agree with you if we didn't have the overt DF references in WoW.
Different design teams.  It being an Aliens reference in addition to a coincidental short guy with a beard still seems more likely, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:59:03 pm by Kilo24 »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »

Sorry, but so far all I saw Blizzard produce is market milking. Good at that, yea, but not interesting in the least. Personally, I think their games aren't worth playing. And as a company...dunno. To all appearances, they're just out for profit, and therefore this wink to DF is fringe marketing tactics.

Pointlessly negative, in my opinion. You sound like you haven't and won't give it a chance because of your negative feelings toward the company or corporation. SC2 is an incredible game with variable difficulty sufficient to challenge (or not challenge) anyone. There's lots of challenging extra goals in all the missions. Multiplayer is a well-balanced and dynamic slugfest with a billion possible outcomes. You're just pooping on it for no good reason, the game's awesome :) These references are not the result of marketing, they're the result of the fact that over a dozen people at Blizzard are devout and loving DF players who know that despite the disparity in overall production power, Bay 12 makes an incredible game that is unrivaled in its niche.

Fie on you!

They get attention out of it. And possibly subconsciously positive sentiments about their game or their company.

Never trust a profit-seeking entity.

EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING OR ENTITY that is not specifically a non-profit organization is a profit-seeking entity. As a previous poster said, get over yourself. You work so you can make money to spend toward your future, and it's called profit when your expenditures are less than your income. You're so negative, I really hope you don't die a bitter old man (or woman, not trying to insult your gender) who lived without ever enjoying Blizzard games on the basis that OH GOD THEYRE AN EVIL PROFIT SEEKING ENTITY. Guess what, it's a monetary economy. Don't try and deny it and cast needless hate on an enormous company employing many thousands of people for trying to make money--all those people go hungry if they stop making money. Nobody forces you to buy or like anything, and a huge crapton of people manage to enjoy these games despite being intelligent and versatile gamers. You're NEGATIVE.

Also, read about Negativity Bias (wikipedia calls it Negativity Effect, here's the page) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_effect
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:42:37 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42:07 pm »

Pointlessly negative, in my opinion. You sound like you haven't and won't give it a chance because of your negative feelings toward the company or corporation. SC2 is an incredible game with variable difficulty sufficient to challenge (or not challenge) anyone. There's lots of challenging extra goals in all the missions. Multiplayer is a well-balanced and dynamic slugfest with a billion possible outcomes. You're just pooping on it for no good reason, the game's awesome :) These references are not the result of marketing, they're the result of the fact that over a dozen people at Blizzard are devout and loving DF players who know that despite the disparity in overall production power, Bay 12 makes an incredible game that is unrivaled in its niche.

Fie on you!
I'm not going to try SC2 because I already hated SC1 :P

My standards for RTSs are fairly high, alright. I liked Battle Realms and AI war, and I can't even think of any others that I didn't eventually learn to hate. Still, doesn't speak in SC2's favour. I've been a gamer for too long to accept uninteresting games. If it bores me, it's crap.
Is SC2 basically SC1, updated to fit to modern times? Then it will bore me to death if I try to spend a day playing it. Is it a "decent RTS", or maybe even an "excellent RTS by today's standards"? Then I still don't care, because it offers nothing new.

The solidity of the product is meaningless to me if they don't innovate. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, Blizzard can go and cater to the masses all they want, I won't touch their games with rubber gloves and a stick.

Or someone go ahead and tell me where to find the new, exciting, interesting, innovative, unusual, exotic, curious things in SC2, WoW or whatnot.

</shruggers for cultural diversification>
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

Also please note that Bay12 games is a profit seeking organization.

Just like pretty much every other business on the planet, actually!  :o

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:54 pm »

If toady was profit-seeking, he'd have a lot more options than to just hope for donations :P

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »

Blizzard already made a reference to DF in the WoW expansion coming up, I would not be surprised if this is another reference. It is very subtle, but non the less interesting.

It is getting people to speak (this thread) about it, so whether they did it to create word of mouth advertising from it, or they did it simply because they like the game.. its there.

Might as well make the most out of the situation and see the positive benifits of it (aka positive conversations) rather then hurling fire balls at blizzard and slandering them for being scum and underhanded.

Relax peeps!
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:45 pm »

My experience with Blizzard products (in the order I encountered them):

SC: fun, still fun from time to time. yet for some reason i still haven't gotten around to finishing the campaign... >_> short attention span? i duno

WoW (trial): i enjoyed it, though perhaps it would have gotten boring after a while. got some friends who're into it. if I had the $$$ I'd probably play

Diablo 2: okay, gets boring alone. fun with others. I'm not that into the hack'n'slash via click-click-click... and IMO the loot was just the same boring crap all the time, nothing remotely interesting...

Warcraft 1-3 & Diablo 1: haven't played, probably won't play

SC2: want. not sure when I'll get it though... should probably finish 1 & BW first anyway...

OT: love the reference :D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »

I think I'll initiate a massive witch hunt and/or mass hysteria.

You know, there's probably at least one registered user here that also happens to be a Blizzard dev, don't you think?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

I think I'll initiate a massive witch hunt and/or mass hysteria.

You know, there's probably at least one registered user here that also happens to be a Blizzard dev, don't you think?

That was my immediate thought when I read the thread title.

Warms my heart.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11