Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 34162 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 11:39:14 pm »

The idea of "click-click-click" being 'repetitive gameplay' seems very short-sighted to me. People click on different things in different manners at different times to do things. I could reduce other games to "press-press-press". When you click one thing on the screen constantly, that's actual repetitive gameplay.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2010, 01:26:13 am »

I don't get it. I know it says Bay 12 but how to you make the jump from seeing that to thinking it is a Dwarf Fortress reference? (yes I know that is the name of Toady's studio)

Someone has their "jump to conclusions" mat out today.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 01:30:36 am »

It's an enormous stretch to call this a Dwarf Fortress reference, and they certainly wouldn't have modeled the character after a dwarf for this purpose.  Coincidence.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 01:51:06 am »

if you read the characters bio hes a miner by trade and lineage. he is stout and very muscular with a beard and a penchant for invention. Im picking up the game tomorrow so I dont know how dwarfy his dialogue is, but I dont think its a stretch to say he is as close as you will come to a fantasy dwarf in scifi (minus the squats, that never existed by the way). so that combined with the location you go to find this Dwarf is Bay 12. It may not be connected to DF, but Its not to much of a stretch of the mind to make that connection.

What I think is they needed a Miner in the story to justify the Moria quests in game and whats an awesome miner? a Dwarf! so the character was dwarf like in appearance and temperament, then Joe modeler goes to his boss and says "can I throw and easter egg here?" and boss goes "sure sure". tada! bay 12 reference in SC

edit: the statements by Joe modeler and Boss are interchangeable

Morac

• Bay Watcher
  • Arming the magma cannon
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2010, 02:04:56 am »

minus the squats, that never existed by the way
Oh, the Squats existed all right, they just all ended up getting eaten by Tyranids.

Also, SC2 has Moria quests?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:34 am »

You know, there's probably at least one registered user here that also happens to be a Blizzard dev, don't you think?

Even if that is true, and I agree it's highly likely, that doesn't mean they would be allowed to put references into the game. I know I'm not despite my forceful attempts to spread the joys of DF around the office.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2010, 02:39:48 am »

minus the squats, that never existed by the way
Oh, the Squats existed all right, they just all ended up getting eaten by Tyranids.

Also, SC2 has Moria quests?
there is the planet Moria and based on its description and the segment in one of the game play trailers where they are mining yellow minerals and then have to evac the mining zone because the magma levels are rising. I assumed that was Moria. Again I say I haven't picked up my copy yet and dont know what is in the actual game myself and it might have been a Moria multilayer map or have nothing to do with that bit of the lore at all.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:07 am »

Diablo 2: okay, gets boring alone. fun with others. I'm not that into the hack'n'slash via click-click-click... and IMO the loot was just the same boring crap all the time, nothing remotely interesting...

Warcraft 1-3 & Diablo 1: haven't played, probably won't play

Try Diablo I.  It's old school, so it's not as polished or whatnot as Diablo II, but it's got more soul, more atmosphere, and some seriously freakin' awesome music.

But it is still a hack'n'slash, and the loot is still just the randomized stuff like Diablo II.  There are some high points though, like the Butcher's Cleaver or Leoric's Crown, but mostly it's just going to be a matter of picking one $foo kite shield of $bar over another.

Golem is awesome though.  Far more awesome than the wannabes you see in Diablo II.  Partly because he doesn't give a damn about staying close to you.  You can just cast it, watch him wander off into some dark corner, and then wait.  Eventually you'll hear that lovely sound...

"Wurrh..."
*whack*
"BLAARGH!"

Also, there's a spell that lets you create a burning jogger that runs into people and explodes.

All in all, I have a certain amount of respect for Blizz.  I know a couple of people who work with them, and although I've never been any good at the War/Starcraft series (and don't particularly agree with that interpretation of the genre as a whole), I can still admire Blizzard for doing a very good job of what they do.  Personally, I've always liked their characters and stories.  'Course that's just me.

As for the matter at hand though...  I have to say, when I first saw this thread I thought it was just going to be another "reference" that existed only in the eye of the beholder. 

But that dude looks an awful lot like a dwarf.  Even more so than the standard double-linebacker build Blizzard characters tend to get.  Still, I'd say it's probably as close to being a DF reference as it is to being an Aliens reference, or not a reference at all.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:36 am »

If toady was profit-seeking, he'd have a lot more options than to just hope for donations :P

If you spend most of your free time on it, might as well make some money with it.
You have to support at least a little of your lifestyle. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. =)

Of course it's likely that even Toady is looking for at least a little profit. If people stopped donating altogether i'm sure he'd stop spending most of his time on it.
It's just that the word 'Profit' has gained such a negative taste these days; even though it's quite essential for just about everyone.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2010, 07:53:13 am »

Of course it's likely that even Toady is looking for at least a little profit. If people stopped donating altogether i'm sure he'd stop spending most of his time on it.
It's just that the word 'Profit' has gained such a negative taste these days; even though it's quite essential for just about everyone.

It's hard to define what you'd count as 'profit' in a case like this anyway.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 07:57:59 am »

Personally, I have no problem with profit, at least if the entity in question is reasonable about it. People get a bad taste in their mouth from companies like walmart and microsoft, but a modicum of ethics isn't uncommon. I would be absolutely fine if Toady charged the standard new game price because of DF's incredible depth and replay value.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 08:02:59 am »

Personally, I have no problem with profit, at least if the entity in question is reasonable about it. People get a bad taste in their mouth from companies like walmart and microsoft, but a modicum of ethics isn't uncommon. I would be absolutely fine if Toady charged the standard new game price because of DF's incredible depth and replay value.

Your average donator probably donates more than standard new game price over the years.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 08:03:20 am »

Wow, that's a lot of venom in response to something awesome. I, for one, congratulate Blizzard on placing such a subtle reference into one of their big titles. It's really great to see that they know about DF, and *like* it so much that they put in an easter egg like that.

I know. Jeez, this thread tastes awfully bitter. Blizzard isn't going to make you stop playing Dwarf Fortress, guys.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:02 am »

Sorry. If it's too big and popular, and I don't personally like it, my "Arrr! Cultural diversity is being lost!" kicks in and I have to hate it.

I HATE BLIZZARD! Their games are boring! >:O
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2010, 09:07:29 am »

Sorry. If it's too big and popular, and I don't personally like it, my "Arrr! Cultural diversity is being lost!" kicks in and I have to hate it.

I HATE BLIZZARD! Their games are boring! >:O
do you hate [random developer x] for having boring games? Or do you find it easier to hate Blizzard?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11