Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 33901 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:58 am »

So, got me a copy of Starcraft II and I started playing with the campaign, which is nice and fun and is yet another quality Blizzard product.  When I finally got to the Hyperion, I was nearly floored when I got to Raynor's flagship.  First thing I noticed when I went to the Armory was that the technician there, Swan, looked like a cross between a standard Terran future red-neck and a Dwarf:  nice facial hair, short and stout, and a bitchin' mechanical prosthesis for a left arm.  And then, the screen panned out...

Swan's workshop is in "Bay 12"!  It says so in large, clear letters above the hangar bay door, but you can't normally see it except for in certain scenes talking to Swan.  Between this and the reference people have found in the Cataclysm Beta, I think it's official:  the madness has spread and has corrupted Blizzard!  :o
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:32 am »

Maybe it is a silent scream from the design team, that they want to do FUN games like DF, instead of that overstyled-RTS-Comic-Korean-Crap that only happens to sell better on the international games-without-brains market...

(Yep, I don't like Starcraft. One part because cutscene heroisms make me sick and one part because I always sucked at it)

So much for my weekly blizzard bashing. Now they also have to include a reference to DF in D3.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:24:18 am »

Blizzard is crying out! They like Dwarf Fortress.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:12 am »

Blizzard probably wishes that they could be as creative as Toady.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:29 am »

LOL that's great.

I like it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:38:37 am »

dang with the modding capability of star craft 2 one could make a mini dwarf fortress map.

trading with the protoss for their caged creatures,
burning the protoss for trying to trade bags made of rope crystal,
stopping a zerg siege,
capturing tons of zerg in cage traps and making a mini arena for them to fight against each other,
having players flip out over the fact that their raiding strategy just lost to a hall way filled with cage traps and 'plasma'.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 05:52:38 am »

Modding capabilities of starcraft 2 are shit. Draconian size limits, retarded map hosting scheme, even more retarded lobby system, useless editor, compared even to warcraft 3 one, etc etc. You're not going to see a lot of good maps.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02:22 am »

Wait, Starcraft II is out?
Too bad I don't care about these things anymore.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:22 am »

Blizzard games are crap, shite and other undesirables. But apparently blizzard themselves...although maybe that's just a little marketing stunt.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Rube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 07:18:56 am »

If I wanted to play a game from 1998, it'd be Baldur's Gate. RTS have moved on, Blizzard have not.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:49:04 am »

Wow, that's a lot of venom in response to something awesome. I, for one, congratulate Blizzard on placing such a subtle reference into one of their big titles. It's really great to see that they know about DF, and *like* it so much that they put in an easter egg like that. 

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:51 am »

It's really great to see that they know about DF

i guess that every more or less competent game designer knows DF.

too bad that so few take it as an example...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 07:57:59 am »

Sorry, but so far all I saw Blizzard produce is market milking. Good at that, yea, but not interesting in the least. Personally, I think their games aren't worth playing. And as a company...dunno. To all appearances, they're just out for profit, and therefore this wink to DF is fringe marketing tactics.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14:39 am »

Different tastes, I suppose. Aside from WoW (tried the trial, found it boring), I haven't been disappointed by a Blizzard game yet. I got more fun out of the SC2 beta alone already than I got from most other games.

m0nster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:45:38 am »

A screen shot for the curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:12:45 am by m0nster »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11