Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiplayer?  (Read 1006 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiplayer?
« on: September 22, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Kinda took this from the metaworld topic into a seperate topic...

A real-time multiplayer game (dedicated server-wise) would be possible, assuming that the world would always run at a set speed. And it'd be just as possible to make dwarf/adventure mode in one world interact and all - all as long as the game speed remains constant and cannot be paused (meaning that building and placing stuff and performing all sorts of tasks would be done in real time). The only thing is that the gamespeed would perhaps have to be brought down a notch for comfort but apart from that there's nothing else that I can think of that would need changing.

And besides, that would be so frigging awesome - imagine fortress-players trading, forming alliances or engaging in wars and all that stuff and in the middle of it all you have adventure players who roam about the map and who can get themselves involved if they so wish.

Of course, the game WOULD have to be based on "1 life and that's it rule-set" - specially for adventure mode players. Your character(s) die, then they die. No respawn or anything.

That way you could have rankings and so on - see how long an adventurer can survive or how great you can make a fortress etc.

I mean, one world is huge enough to support quite a few players, and I'm sure that it'd be possible (if needed) to have even bigger worlds.

Heck, this could even become a completely new kind of MMOG if one could have a decent enough server to run a world, cause as far as I know, this kind of gameplay idea is rather unique (as of yet).

Of course, before one can really start going towards this direction I'd prefer to see the actual game in a more finished state.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:21:00 am »

I have really tried to think of a way some sort of simultaneous multiplayer could be done, and I just don't think anything would work.   The big reason realtime would be ridiculous is because games would last about a million hours without breaks.

I don't think the game could be made simultaneous multiplayer at all without it becoming an entirely different game.

A more realistic thought of multiplayer would be something like Nethack servers, where there are a dozen or so games running at one time, and the player can recieve messages from people watching.  What would be neat, though, would be to have a dozen or so Dwarf Fort worlds that can be played.  

A player would log in, select the world they wish to play on (Provided no one else is playing on it) and do their thing.  They could do adventure mode or fort mode, and after they are done (Death or retirement for Adventure mode; Fort mode would need something similar to retirement to allow for breaks to be taken.) another player could then play on the same world, which would be enriched by all of the previous players.  It would be pretty neat, I say, when DF is more complete and you log in to your favored world find that some jerk caused a war between two countries, or unleashed a dragon or something.  Even funner to watch the same jerk causing these catastrophes unwittingly.  And then you can laugh at him.

While it is a monstrous task, and at this point shouldn't even be asked for, online successive play with viewing would be something neat to eventually implement somehow, if possible,as a more advanced 'bloodline' series.

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 04:34:00 am »

The best chance for multiplayer is a 1 season per turn server...
Echa players play a session in their fortress and the final file is send to a central server.
A caravan option should be added so you can send a carvan to the other players, in next turn the caravan will arrive to the other fortress as a NPC caravan (or it could be lost, if it crossed dangerus territory with few dwarves)
2 seasons later the caravan should return to your fortress bringing goods traded.

To do this you need somekind of central server to get the world&entity files of each fortress merge them in the world and resend them later after processing.
The changes in the main game should be small (but not trivial)

Later, displomacy and war parties could be added between fortresses and dwarf kingdoms (the king could send a sieging force to avenge the death of one of his fortresses caravan).

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:40:00 am »

Real-time would be possible with some minor modifications...

Adventure mode is pretty straightforward - logging out is just that - logging out - the character disappears...or say "sleeps in a tavern" or something.

Fortress mode - well, here it would involve certain risks, but one should be then able to set up how dwarves should behave if this or that happens etc.

Of course, again, the real time would have to be tweaked so that too much time passes overnight or something.